How to Brine Herring/Anchovies

I'll throw in 4 cups to a spaghetti sized pot and boil it to infuse the salt,then set it out overnight.Next day I stir, then pour off the salt water and discard the salt that reforms on the bottom.
The more salt the better.
Oh and by the way, I found that that bad batch of bait can be salvaged by rolling it around in dry salt for a bit-seems to toughen up the ol' "I'm so full I could split" belly skin.

Hooch

Has anyone tried or had any luck with Pro-Cure Brine n Bite?
Thanks,
CC

Reviving a 10 year old post. Now that is pretty cool. Anyway, what's the longest you can leave chives in brine in your fridge? Not off to Nootka for 3 weeks but I want to start my brine process now. Should I brine for a couple of days then salt them up in a container and freeze them now?

Last edited:
I often freeze leftover bait in salt slurry for several weeks. I find chovies stand up well to a really dry brine well (unlike herring).

Make your brew however you like and add enough salt so it doesn’t freeze into a block and it will work just fine.

I use distilled water, bluing liquid and lots of salt.

Reviving a 10 year old post. Now that is pretty cool. Anyway, what's the longest you can leave chives in brine in your fridge? Not off to Nootka for 3 weeks but I want to start my brine process now. Should I brine for a couple of days then salt them up in a container and freeze them now?

Sounds pre mature... why not brine the night before? Pour a bunch of salt in the cooler over the fish in layers and yer all set.

Sounds pre mature... why not brine the night before? Pour a bunch of salt in the cooler over the fish in layers and yer all set.
I am thinking about brining for 3 days, then pulling them out of the brine laying them into a container in salt and placing them into the freezer. I'll pull them out of the freezer the day I drive up to Nootka. Do you think they'll deteriorate sitting in the freezer post brining?

I am thinking about brining for 3 days, then pulling them out of the brine laying them into a container in salt and placing them into the freezer. I'll pull them out of the freezer the day I drive up to Nootka. Do you think they'll deteriorate sitting in the freezer post brining?

How long is the drive to Nootka?

Three methods I would be fine with:

First one....a little more involved and works well for both chovies and herring. Start 24 hrs before you leave.

1. Thaw bait in fridge
2. Drain off water from tray
3. Make your brine and put in the bait
4. Store brining bait in the fridge and pull it when you leave.

If you are concerned about temperature, throw some ice cubes in. Don’t be afraid about too much salt.

I also use air tight food containers or ziplock bag to transport bait on brine as those little bait cooler spill easy.

Method Two - simple and works just fine for me. I’ve taken to doing this as I’ve gotten old / lazy. Herring turns into shriveled pieces of leather....works great for chovies.

1. Night before you leave....Throw frozen chovies in a large ziplock with a bunch of salt...place in fridge.
2. The day you leave, add water and whatever other goodies you like. Keep it in ziplock in cooler or place in bait cooler if your are sure it won’t spill.
3. Go fishing.

Method 3. Dry brine.

1. Dump frozen bait in cooler the morning you leave.
2. Alternate layers of salt / bait.
3. Head for Nootka.

Works fine for chovies. Not for herring.

I buy pickling salt for ~$1 / lb at a bulk store and am not afraid to use it.

I store bait on brine / salt in the infloor boxes below deck and they good for a few days in summer temps. No fridge needed.

Back