How much to build a new house?

persistent

Anyone on here recently build a house? Im trying to fiqure out roughly what it costs per sq ft these days. It would be built on the saanich peninsula, nothing overly crazy just a well built family home.

Thanks

$150 if your the builder and basic house, $200 for basic house with builder, $250 for some upgrades like hardwood and quartz counters, manifold plumbing, ect.
I'm in the same boat, not sure if I should re build or buy something newer close by.

Last edited by a moderator:
can generally buy something for a decent price these days... I am in the same boat as you two! In Nanaimo, basic lot and $200/sq ft x 2500 sq and average city lot = $675k, hmmm - not too intrigued!

All depends what you want and where, but gotta ask why one would build and not get what they want in the house for finishings/!
/?

Anyone on here recently build a house? Im trying to fiqure out roughly what it costs per sq ft these days. It would be built on the saanich peninsula, nothing overly crazy just a well built family home.

Hey Persistent
That is a really hard question to answer. Actually without info on size, quality, lot description and most details it's impossible. However I think that without any details at all Canso's numbers are a little high for your area for the description you gave. Then again depending on your choices it could be way under. We have built houses from $110 to $200 but literally every choice you make and every detail affects the sqft price.

Built our own. 2400 sq house, 700 sq cabin, 800 sq shop and were about $110 incl land. Wife's design and plans. Lotsa shopping and unending decision making. Hired a framer, a plumber and dry waller. Finishing is unbelievably slow and expensive. That said we are still married and overall had a good time. Call it $120 if we do put in an elevator and last finishing with a bit more landscaping. Rural pricing is better, for sure. Like thawk said, every detail affects the sqft price.

Oh yeh, we were retired when we did the house and it still cut into our fishing.

Judging from the description of "family house" unless that family is not started yet or has moved out. I would not recommend doing it on your own. Unless of coarse you want to quit your job and do it full time. It can absolutely be a lot of fun and save yourself lots of money....It can also wreck you life.

Thanks eveyone, at this point its still a dream. We have our eye on a one acre lot and ideally would like to build a 2000- 2500 sq ft home with a detached 1000 sq ft shop with a suite above. Im not looking to get too carried away, but it would need to stand up to stand to raising a couple of boys. I agree that the project would be to big to take on myself. the other option would be to buy an older home and spend a 100k renoing it, but then its still an older home and not exactly what we want. Iam a journeyman cabinet maker, so alot of the fisnishing i could do my self, i also have lots of contacts in other trades as well.

What's the costs on a prefab. Not trailer, but modular like Nanaimo sells built to house codes? Last time I looked $142K got a 2000sq ft home of my "design" delivered. That was complete. Sub contract some jobs, foundation/basement, utilities and have truck deliver. You order what you want I think, starting with floor plan of choice. Tons of choices, built in factory where nails will follow joist and corners should be square. I have seen the work some builders have done, behind our house 10 went in. I would never pay the price they are asking. Buried a skid of rebar and 5 boxes of nails, nails threw floor but not in joists, kitchen corners not square or level??? I am no pro but also looking at options. Opinions for Persistent and me?

HM

Too funny. More than a few friends thought we would blow up our marriage. I didn't want to reno. We built the cabin, shop and well house over a period of five years while we were still working. House took a year and a half once we had retired.
You could stick a trailer on the lot and do it in stages but it will take over your life.

Judging from the description of "family house" unless that family is not started yet or has moved out. I would not recommend doing it on your own. Unless of coarse you want to quit your job and do it full time. It can absolutely be a lot of fun and save yourself lots of money....It can also wreck you life.

would be safe and budget $200 a foot

Ha ha good topic as i am just finishing our retirement home, hardwood being laid this week. So the build is top end finish top to bottom. Did the build with a buddy from the footings up and all framing, trusses included, installed all doors, did the metal roof, windows, siding, cedar soffets, stamped crete, covered breezeway between house and triple garage, all timber framed in between, highest point of ceiling there 18 ft, timber framed entrance. no carpets all hardwood and slate tile, granite counter tops etc. House is 2100 sq ft, triple garage 760 sq ft. For the build alone haven't quite added all up but will be around $450.00 all in, not including land. Could build for much less if the finish is less. oh and no osb all fir plywood and 5/8 inch for roof. Is a **** pot full of work doing the framing and such and being the gc, but the pride in doing it is awesome. Still married :) not to say there weren't any bumps in the road. Good liuck on what you decide the real plus building your own you build what you want!

Congrats Jackel. Getting to the end is sweet, isn't it ? Made a lot of memories, too. Dancing on the walls putting the trusses up was an experience I'll remember for quite awhile.

Another plus in building your own is fewer trades to organize and supervise. There are some great tradespeople out there but some are an insult to the rest of them.

OSB sucks.

To the OP, sq ft costs are a wild butt guess going in, can very easily be 20-25% off. Every building is a prototype, no one has ever built that house on that site before. Therefore costs have to be examined in detail for every build.

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

Like others have said, start with a BUDGET of 150-200 square foot. And that's what it is... a budget. If you want to go cheap all the way through with basic everything then maybe you can come in under the 150. Then again.... the skies the limit!! If you've ever done any estimating for construction, most times there will be ALLOWANCES ( budget) for all of the steps involved in the building process.
If you have champagne tastes on a beer budget good luck!! Oh, and 1 more thing, running out of money before you're finished is not an option.

Excavation is the big unknown. I usually budget around 10k, but that can go up in a hurry. what are the soil conditions like, are there any water courses nearby, is there any fill on the site, rock etc. To get to lock-up allow $40-45 per ft. assuming hooking up to city services. New code requirements now call for HRV to meet new guidelines. $175 per ft should get you a nice shack.

Back