How many Rods.??

chopper

My buddy just got his boat geared up for saltwater fishing and he asked me how many rods he could fish out of his boat. I told him 1 rod per license, but then I wasn't really sure so I looked for it in the regs but couldn't find it. Could anyone help me out with this and where could I find it in the Regs. Thanks

Actually everyone in the boat needs to have a licenses or 1 per license

The way it was explained to me a few years back was this if there were 4 people in boat and only 2 had a lic you were only allowed to fish 2 rods if everyone had a lic you could fish as many as you wanted as your covering all people on boat , so basically very simple buy a lic..... probably the cheapest thing to get while fishing......

Regs are pretty clear - there is nothing in the regs stating everyone on a boat must have a fishing license nor is there any clause revising the number of rods that can be used by a licensed angler if someone on the boat doesn't have a license. In all tidal waters except the Fraser River a licensed angler can use as many rods as they want. Enforcement officials often interpret regs that are unclear, sometimes correctly and sometimes incorrectly, but in the end, they can only enforce the regs as written. In the case of number of rods allowed per licensed angler it is black and white in the regs.

I agree, though, if going out to fish why not make sure folks have a license and, if for some reason they refuse, better make damn sure they don't touch any of the rods.

Cheers!

Ukee

Regs are pretty clear - there is nothing in the regs stating everyone on a boat must have a fishing license nor is there any clause revising the number of rods that can be used by a licensed angler if someone on the boat doesn't have a license. In all tidal waters except the Fraser River a licensed angler can use as many rods as they want. Enforcement officials often interpret regs that are unclear, sometimes correctly and sometimes incorrectly, but in the end, they can only enforce the regs as written. In the case of number of rods allowed per licensed angler it is black and white in the regs.

I agree, though, if going out to fish why not make sure folks have a license and, if for some reason they refuse, better make damn sure they don't touch any of the rods.

Cheers!

Ukee

Very true. This isn't the first time I've heard a DFO officer incorrectly describe a reg

Some people would rather just observe and enjoy the ride.
as long as they don't work any gear, no licence is fine.

Some people would rather just observe and enjoy the ride.
as long as they don't work any gear, no licence is fine.

Scott is correct. That is the key issue in the regs. Unlicensed people may not work any of the fishing gear while aboard. You may run as many lines as you like as long as unlicened persons don't tend your fishing gear.

That's good to know. I usually fish with my fishing buddys, but sometimes I take the wife out and even though she hates killing fish she likes to come and drive for me when its nice out. (She does the shut her eyes plug her ears thing when the bonker comes out). I've been fishing one rod when she's with me, but Ill run two now... she wont touch a rod.

I guess that means she cant net for me either?

Not really sure if netting comes under the "fishing gear" definition. But I would think there's a pretty good chance it does. Probably get a ton of disagreement over that one. It would probably depend on which conservation officer you got for that answer.

That's good to know. I usually fish with my fishing buddys, but sometimes I take the wife out and even though she hates killing fish she likes to come and drive for me when its nice out. (She does the shut her eyes plug her ears thing when the bonker comes out). I've been fishing one rod when she's with me, but Ill run two now... she wont touch a rod.

I guess that means she cant net for me either?
If she's out that often just buy her a license. You can even keep her quota occasionally

The way it was explained to me a few years back was this if there were 4 people in boat and only 2 had a lic you were only allowed to fish 2 rods if everyone had a lic you could fish as many as you wanted as your covering all people on boat , so basically very simple buy a lic..... probably the cheapest thing to get while fishing......
Yes, that's what i wrote. That is how it was explained to me by a DFO officer

I would think it does too.

If she's out that often just buy her a license. You can even keep her quota occasionally

Its really only a couple times a season and its not a serious session when it does happen... Last weekend was the first time this year. I get you though. Its not about the 30-odd bucks as I would donate that to a fishery cause of almost any kind, she doesn't really want a license to kill fish (and I don't need the extra meat, I get enough of my own.) I'm not one to skirt the rules if its grey though, as I don't want any reasons to arouse unwanted attention, Id rather just play by the books.

It seems pretty simple really, if you're out in the boat and you want to fish you need a licence
if not, you can't handle a rod.

For the price buy a licence im sure last thing you want is some DFO officer on a bad day make him choose how he/she wants to treat you, I go with the kiss system make it so you dont have to be red flagged....

Back