How many hali did you actually take in 2013?

When I read this thread seems to me most rec. guys would benefit by raising the lower slot limit and going home after their trip with two decent table fish....... We don't seem to be hog hunters and most of us a 50-60lb fish would be a fish of a life time. :)

Just playing devils advocate, but how can you tell from this data there aren't hog hunters here? All the question was, was how many hali did you keep. And with the current regs it would be hard to extrapolate this data and conclude there are no hog hunters here.

The Seaspanker last year caught exactly her yearly average of "zero " , 3 guys , 10 days at Bamfield , No Hali ! we try almost every day , we did catch one about 5 years ago does that count ? No we are not a threat to the yearly catch quota , but we get restricted any how !

2 licenses in our house, bonked 5 or 6. One about 40ish and the rest were in that 15-30 range. Freezer is already running low as we eat a lot of fish.

Over one week in the summer we caught 6 on 3 licences. Average size was 25 pounds.
Certainly no threat to the halibut stock.

Caught "zero" Hali in 2013. On the 6 licenses that fish from time to time with me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Eight on two licenses and another six for guests on the boat All chickens 25 lbs. or less. Freezer is doing a Jackson Brown.

I have only 4 on mine ......But I personally only go in the Spring for them, so I get what I can in those months and vacuum seal it.

3 - 1 ping pong paddle, 2 in the 15-25 range...couple meals left, but used sparingly and consumed no where near enough! I agree on the 4 thing, tis an unrealistic joke for most people. My largest ever is 48, not like all of us can just dial in 4 50lbers every year.

I read one of the threads saying it should be based on total CM....that isn't a half crazy idea as that becomes a level playing field for chicken ranch drift fishers vs the anchor up types. Your limit could be 2, it could be 8.

yes i mentioned last year a per household poundage,, dressed weight of course.. dont know what amount would work tho, i have two small mouths and two adults,, 120lb dressed per year is roughly where we are at.

i brought 6 home and a couple guests gifted me some also.

I had zero on my license but did well on the west coast for guests.Id say that mostly were ping pongers with only two or three between the slot size

1 about 27lbs. Only got out for hali 3 times this tear,and two trips were a skunk.Just recently purchased a GPS,so now
when I hit a good spot I can mark it for future reference.

1 about 27lbs. Only got out for hali 3 times this tear,and two trips were a skunk.Just recently purchased a GPS,so now
when I hit a good spot I can mark it for future reference.

A gps is very helpful

No pilchards meant way less shallow trolling; therefore, way more deep trolling and more troll caught chickens. 6 for me 2 for the wife. Didn't drift or anchor for halis last year, but did drag turds and other stuff in hopes of getting them on the troll and it worked out well. Released about 8 babies.

Three - we only fished halibut twice last, all between 20 & 25 lbs. One on my licence one on my wife's licence one on my daughters licence.

Last edited by a moderator:
When I read this thread seems to me most rec. guys would benefit by raising the lower slot limit and going home after their trip with two decent table fish....... We don't seem to be hog hunters and most of us a 50-60lb fish would be a fish of a life time. :)
Dead arms after I pulled this one in - 110lbs (about ten yrs ago in Rupert)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 290
3 for our fam of four. 10, 30 & 40 ish. One meal left.

I have had 8 other licenses on my boat in 2013, only 1 of those tagged 2 fish. Rest were 0s.

All that being said, we only targeted halibut on 3 outings all summer.

Back