How many hali did you actually take in 2013?

My boat kept 15 or 20.
3 on my license.
15 to 50 pounds.
Released 3 or 4 overs.
Many many 10 pounders released.

0 for our boat this last year.
5 licenses were bought in the family, but we did not make it out for halibut fishing.
So that is 30 (potential) fish that were calculated as caught in DFO's math based on licenses sold and possible catch per license.
30 (fish) x 15 (lbs - small fish) = 450 lbs that was not caught on last years TAC.

They don't estimate fish caught that way. It is done by creel survey interviews and fly over counts. With 300,000 sport licenses and only 1,000,000 pounds last season that is only 3 pounds per licensed angler if you apply that methodology.

Three. One was caught last March before the license required them to be recorded. Biggest was thirty pounds.

Last year I caught 3 halibut on my license, all 3 fish were caught during trips out with friends on their boats.

My log book shows we did 11 halibut charters last year with a total of 31 clients, 28 clients were Canadians and 3 none res.
Out of the 11 trips we kept 22 halibut and the biggest was 47lb. but most fish were in the low 20lb

The truth is, even guides some days don’t catch fish or big fish.

0 fish, on 5 licenses that I know of. Family and people i take out regularly.

Guess I spent to much tme targeting trout and salmon and not halibut this year.

-KK

2 - average 20lbs.

When I read this thread seems to me most rec. guys would benefit by raising the lower slot limit and going home after their trip with two decent table fish....... We don't seem to be hog hunters and most of us a 50-60lb fish would be a fish of a life time. :)

Absolutely.
2 around 40 would suit me fine.
Dont care what anyone says. Ive eaten a 200 and it was dogfood.
When I read this thread seems to me most rec. guys would benefit by raising the lower slot limit and going home after their trip with two decent table fish....... We don't seem to be hog hunters and most of us a 50-60lb fish would be a fish of a life time. :)

4 to the boat.
None over 35, I think the largest we weighed was 30#. Last one was first week of September.

All caught while trolling salmon. Just a little left in the freezer, will be gone before I get back to where I might catch a Hali in June.

Had a great hali year for numbers, limited out between my son and me for a total of 12. We released a bunch too that were small and lightly hooked in hope for something bigger. But all were only between 15 and 25#. And it was not too much meat as there is not much left in the freezer.

Back