How many hali did you actually take in 2013?

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by seadna, Jan 19, 2014.

1. seadna

seadna Well-Known Member

Just out of interest, I'm wondering what the average hali take was per BC license holder. I know that on my boat we only took two (for three licenses) all of last year. Sure we're not the best hali fishermen and sure we could have worked at it a lot more (we probably devoted no more than 10 hours of time to fishing hali in BC all of last year). Nonetheless, we took no where's close to our six fish. Both fish we took were around 30lbs. So when we talk about changes in regulations, it would be interesting to know how many hali on average are kept by the typical license holder. So how many did you keep in 2013 and what was the average size?

2. SophiaB

SophiaB Banned

I took 4. all were around 25-40 lbs. On that note, I have about 4 hali meals left. So I know I need to kill at least 2 more this season in that weight range.

3. ziggy

ziggy Well-Known Member

If only DFO would be so proactive seadna and ask that question each year when we renew our licenses online. Might want to do the same with all fish we are required to record on our licenses. Can't believe they don't take advantage of a prime means of gathering such valuable info.

4. harper44

harper44 Well-Known Member

My wife and I filled our two licenses. most fish in the 25lb range with a couple around 40lb

5. Osama Bin Hopper

Osama Bin Hopper Active Member

Six. 30- 40lbs haven't got a piece left. Way licence is ill have to get some from a buddy early on!

6. Fish Assassin

Fish Assassin Crew Member

2 about 20lbs...... Still eating them, but just about out.

7. Slickwater

Slickwater Member

Took 4 Hali myself & friends took 8 . 12 Hali total . All were 20-25 lb range. Threw back at least 10 a trip trying for bigger one's out by rat's nose .
    Getting low !!!

8. the fog ducker

the fog ducker Well-Known Member

4 , as per Jeff in size,,,
    just finished last pack , gave zero away , see a few on here wanting ta lower the annual 6 to 4 ,
    absolutely absurd , why is this even being discussed ,our voodoo math put us under last year ???
    dont get sum mentalities on here...

fd

9. Roofus

Roofus Member

0 on four licences in my house and zero on my three regulars i take fishing all summer

10. Jencourt

Jencourt Well-Known Member

My boat caught 9. Kept 6 released 3 as they did not fit the slot. got burned at both ends of the slot by the way. Those six fish where spread amongst 6 fisherman over the season. two of which where from mainland. I am almost out now. Size range was from 15-40. fish released where about 70 and 20 ish.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 19, 2014
  11. bigbruce

bigbruce Well-Known Member

I got 3 - 12 - 18 lbs. Not a good year.

12. SerengetiGuide

SerengetiGuide Well-Known Member

6 between 12 and 55lbs, eat halibut once a week in Ottawa and gave friends cpl packages, down to 8 one lb packs left.

13. Fish Assassin

Fish Assassin Crew Member

Why take 12lbers when you fish all the time. You could have taken 6 that were 40+ or 55's and still have lots in your freezer. Just bugging you Dave. :)

14. SerengetiGuide

SerengetiGuide Well-Known Member

Don't have many days off ;)

15. fish stalker

fish stalker Active Member

0 on two licenses here :(

16. Bugs

Bugs Active Member

Shared one 50 between two couples. Kept a 15 picked up salmon fishing. And released a heartbreaker over 70 that was a first ever halibut for the gal on the rod.

17. GLG

GLG Well-Known Member

2 at around 20lb.
    Got fogged out on one trip or I would have caught one just over the slot.
    Then have to release it doh.....

18. spring fever

spring fever Well-Known Member

The Springfever II took kept 8 hali's between 20 and 40 lbs split between 5 crewmembers. All caught on experimental lighted Tomic plugs or lighted lures while fishing deep for salmon. I have none left. We don't specifically target hali's!

19. thawk

thawk Member

Zero halibut for four licenses. Didn't get out at all for halibut this year.

20. scott craven

scott craven Well-Known Member

6 for me, biggest in March before the slot at 77.5 lbs (should have weighed it in :()
    all the rest were chickens averaging 15-25 lbs