How effective are the scuppers?

My current boat does not have a self bailing deck, it does have a self bailing bow section. All together it has 4 pumps. It’s has 2 bilge 1100 gph pumps 1 on a float 1 on switch. On top of that Kingfisher has the easy clean deck system. Which does not allow debris being washed off the deck to get into the bilge area the water is channeled under and along the outside edge of the deck back into a couple large pockets at the bottom corners of the deck. These are pumped out with large diaphragm pumps. On top of that it has a diaphragm pump to pump out the 2 in floor fish tanks. If need one could open those lids and use that pump to pump off the deck. In total that is 4 pumps that can be used to pump water off the rear deck. You would be hard pressed to find many self bailing decks that could move the water out of your boat faster than those 4 pumps could. Everyone says well you have to depend on your batteries,, well yes you do, that’s why you don’t run junk, that’s why you maintain and keep on top of your equipment to ensure its there when you need it.

So the fish slime, blood ect is pumped out?
Yes the idea if the system is to not let all that crap get down into your bilge area or into the bottom of the hull to stink it up. The two pockets collect the water washed off the deck and pump it out. Along the full length of the rear deck under the deck floor it is closed off with a channel that does not allow debris to get to the bottom of the boat. This also helps to keep your bilge pumps free of junk and debris. Like fish guts and slime that can plug off a pump. As we know the large diaphragm pumps are way less likely to plug off as they are designed to pump junk. You can pull plugs in the bottom corner of these pockets to let the water into the bilge area if you so choose.

Scuppers aside....
Young and stupid kills people, especially on the water.
The older I get the more I realize a statement Aces made is so true
"the ocean is an evil *****, and will kill you you in a heartbeat"
Pick your fishing day accordingly.
I've been on the ocean when it was the best day ever, no doubt and then another day on the ocean when I knew I'd made a big mistake and was going to die, no doubt. But I still love the *****.

How you tackle bigger water by operating your boat skillfully does prevent taking large amounts of water into the cockpit...but if you are dead in the water with mechanical issues those waves can break over the gunnel. As far as the comment about being out in nasty weather in the first place...if you are 50 miles offshore on a Tuna trip and the weather comes up...you still have a couple hours of travel back to shore. So you can be doing the right thing and still get into trouble.
Good points profisher - if one is dead in the water - one is pretty much screwed. But speaking of tuna/swordfish fishing, scuppers, rouge waves and being prepared and doing the right things - this story may be informative as well as interesting: https://www.saltwire.com/communitie...ave-left-behind-524226/#.X77PZkV2gUU.facebook

Yes the idea if the system is to not let all that crap get down into your bilge area or into the bottom of the hull to stink it up. The two pockets collect the water washed off the deck and pump it out. Along the full length of the rear deck under the deck floor it is closed off with a channel that does not allow debris to get to the bottom of the boat. This also helps to keep your bilge pumps free of junk and debris. Like fish guts and slime that can plug off a pump. As we know the large diaphragm pumps are way less likely to plug off as they are designed to pump junk. You can pull plugs in the bottom corner of these pockets to let the water into the bilge area if you so choose.
Hey walleyes I'm pretty curious about these diaphragm pumps, I deal with 4" pneumatic diaphragm pumps let's say a fair bit in the drydock Bizness. Any chance you could post a pic or even a model? No rush I'm just curious. Diaphragm pumps have definite positives and negatives depending on application.

These scuppers look pretty interesting, especially if there was room for the larger rectangle ones to be fitted into the boat. Looks like it would be pretty easy if you were re doing your floor to incorporate a couple into the transom. They would remove a lot of water fast and would probably outperform the small ball scuppers. The ones at the bottom right of the page. If your floor was above the waterline enough.

Oly

I like those whale gusher
Before buying my latest boat I researched some of the common issues in smaller, recreational vessels. These notes relate to the thread topic.

*Many decks on recreational vessels under 30 feet are mistakenly termed self-bailing, with good looking scuppers and nice hatches well above the load waterline. Only later one discovers that the deck drains lead to cheap hoses that drain into the bilge and not overboard.

*Modern boats are often designed with a fiberglass liner and a deck that completely covers the bilge and it has drains that look like they would drain overboard. It's just poor design to have them drain into the bilge. Boats do not sink because bilge pumps fail. They sink because of design issues and because we fail to actively ensure that the seawater will stay on the outside of the boat.

*Bilge pumps on recreational vessels are designed to remove nuisance water and minor leakage only. They provide for only limited, short-term results. They are not long-term solutions. The typical 12 volt electric pumps are meant for intermittent use. They are often poorly wired and plumbed and are usually well under the actual capacity needed for any serious demand. They are prone to plugging and failure and may be hard to access. Float switches fail. Bilge pumps and switches should be independent and redundant. Larger boats should have manual pumps installed, as well.

*The most common design problem leading to trouble is simply that hatch openings in the decks cannot be dogged down and are not fitted with proper gaskets to make them watertight. Another common design problem is that water backs up through the scuppers in bad weather and then drains back into the bilge. The pumps work but eventually they fail or the battery is discharged.

Float ball scupper *Often one sees poor design in scupper or freeing port locations. An immediate sign of a pending problem is a boat with float-ball-style scuppers. These float-ball style scuppers are installed when water would otherwise backflow into the boat. They're not designed to keep a boat afloat. The American Boat & Yacht Council (ABYC) has recommended standards for the placement of scuppers, scupper sizes, and the minimum heights above the load waterline of scuppers both while the boat is static and when operating in poor conditions. One also sees scuppers that are right at the waterline and often below the waterline, though this sometimes happens when boat owners put too much stuff in the stern.

*Cockpit decks should be designed to be a minimum of four inches above the waterline but on smaller boats thats not always the case. Even when a small amount of water drains into the bilge the result can be disaster. That's because the boats may already be designed with little safety margin. Larger amounts of bilge water make a boat sit lower, compounding flooding problems. It also makes a boat increasingly unstable.

*Corrugated hose is a poor choice for scupper drains. Use polyester reinforced tubing instead. Builders seem to put hoses and thru-hulls in the most inconvenient (and inaccessible) places. If one can't inspect hoses and fittings how would one know drains are leaking or hoses are cracked until it's too late. They were designed to last perhaps 10 years but are now 15 or 20 years old. They are brittle, cracked and failing, yet we cannot see them, let alone service them.

*Outdrive universal joint and shift boot bellows should be inspected every year and replaced every third year, give or take. The rubber ages and begins to crack and leak, which may be the difference between weathering the storm or not. The gimbal bearing and gimbal housing can leak water into the bilge. Cheap plastic, corrugated drain hose should not be used unless well above the waterline. Better quality hoses are not expensive, considering their critical function.

*For most of the sinkings investigated in these reports , poor hatches were commonly to blame. They were either badly built, poorly located, or left unsealed. Scuppers must be well above the waterline. Scuppers near or at the waterline are worse than useless. A good hatch must have a positive-locking system and gaskets that are waterproof . If your deck hatches and inspection ports don't have gaskets, install them. Check drain hoses and pumps. If they are questionable, change them while you can.
I didn’t like the idea of using hose so we glassed channels to the scuppers. I have plugs I sometimes put in from the inside when I took out 5 or 6 big guys and of course they all want to be at the back and that would put my scuppers under water

I like those whale gusher

I didn’t like the idea of using hose so we glassed channels to the scuppers. I have plugs I sometimes put in from the inside when I took out 5 or 6 big guys and of course they all want to be at the back and that would put my scuppers under water
Yeah, when we have two 250 pounders on the rod and net at the back of our little Tyee it gets more exciting than the fishing .

Scuppers aside....
Young and stupid kills people, especially on the water.
The older I get the more I realize a statement Aces made is so true
"the ocean is an evil *****, and will kill you you in a heartbeat"
Pick your fishing day accordingly.
There are old sailors, and there are bold sailors, but there arent any old bold sailors.

Hey walleyes I'm pretty curious about these diaphragm pumps, I deal with 4" pneumatic diaphragm pumps let's say a fair bit in the drydock Bizness. Any chance you could post a pic or even a model? No rush I'm just curious. Diaphragm pumps have definite positives and negatives depending on application.

Up at work now for a couple weeks but if we remember when I get home I’ll grab a pic. I’ve tried to find info on line on what type Kingfisher uses but can’t find anything.

On our smaller boats it might be impossible to have open scuppers at deck level on each side of hull that quickly drains all water, like the bigger commercial vessels. But why not open scuppers up higher that would quickly drain enough of the water to allow the boat to remain afloat and give the pumps enough time to remove the rest? I know there are open type scuppers that can be locked down in a closed position and they have a rubber seal. So if just in some slop you could keep water from sloshing in by keeping them closed.

On our smaller boats it might be impossible to have open scuppers at deck level on each side of hull that quickly drains all water, like the bigger commercial vessels. But why not open scuppers up higher that would quickly drain enough of the water to allow the boat to remain afloat and give the pumps enough time to remove the rest? I know there are open type scuppers that can be locked down in a closed position and they have a rubber seal. So if just in some slop you could keep water from sloshing in by keeping them closed.
What a good idea.

Very practical idea. The hatches on our bigger boat just lay there, with no gaskets. The drains are quite small, too. Some remodeling is in order. I'm thinking a scupper on each corner.

I've never seen this on a production boat but you see it on custom build stuff from time to time...one boat I saw a while back had 4" cockpit drains a few inches above the deck and the scuppers were smaller and just there to deal with the last inch or two in the corners. The guy would put in plumbing test plugs in the scuppers IIRC, secure in the knowledge that big water would dump out the 4" holes, but he had the option of popping out the plugs to get it dry if necessary.

I've also seen some heavy weather RIBs with 4-6" drains, with a foot of flat hose, like huge firehose material that wants to collapse and self-seal hanging off the back. In normal conditions they don't let much in, but you fill that boat with water and the hoses open up and puke it out like crazy.

I've never personally made use of scuppers on anything I owned but on an offshore boat I think well-designed ones are critical and no matter how careful you are about weather, you might one day need them to...

[puts on sunglasses]

...bail you out.

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH

In my opinion this is the best manual back up in case of electric bilge pump failure due to getting plugged or a general electrical problem

We've got one on the bigger boat and it moves a lot of water. I suspect a lot more if you're thinking you're sinking.

I've never seen this on a production boat but you see it on custom build stuff from time to time...one boat I saw a while back had 4" cockpit drains a few inches above the deck and the scuppers were smaller and just there to deal with the last inch or two in the corners. The guy would put in plumbing test plugs in the scuppers IIRC, secure in the knowledge that big water would dump out the 4" holes, but he had the option of popping out the plugs to get it dry if necessary.

I've also seen some heavy weather RIBs with 4-6" drains, with a foot of flat hose, like huge firehose material that wants to collapse and self-seal hanging off the back. In normal conditions they don't let much in, but you fill that boat with water and the hoses open up and puke it out like crazy.

I've never personally made use of scuppers on anything I owned but on an offshore boat I think well-designed ones are critical and no matter how careful you are about weather, you might one day need them to...

[puts on sunglasses]

...bail you out.

YYYYYYEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHH
Solid CSI reference haha

Back