How do you like the slot now?

treated like a commodity. brutal.

treated like a commodity. brutal.

Unfortunately our own sector is doing no different. Where do you think the push for 1/2 small fish came from? Who thought best benefit is to be able to preserve the promise of overflowing coolers? Before the flame throwers come out, I know many of you favoured a different outcome this go around. Some even made carefully worded posts here expressing their displeasure in how it all played out.

It saddens me to see how an awesome unique aspect of sport fishing has been turned into little more than an extension of salmon fishing to top up the coolers.

It saddens me to see how an awesome unique aspect of sport fishing has been turned into little more than an extension of salmon fishing to top up the coolers.

The catch and release thread is a perfect example of this... To me catch and release is a fundamental aspect that makes us different from being a commercial operation. Being out enjoying nature and catching and releasing a fish is all great. It's nice to take home a trophy or fish to eat once and awhile but not necessary for my enjoyment of the sport.

Unfortunately our own sector is doing no different. Where do you think the push for 1/2 small fish came from?

It's pretty obvious that it go pushed through by lodges and guides that wanted to sell their clients on the opportunity to be able to take home 2 halibut in possession rather than one.

Or maybe the SFAB thought if they gave away the 2 in possession they would never be able to get it back. Not sure, who knows....

Last edited:
Remember a couple of the guiding principals of the SFAB Halibut working group, which most people that show up to meeting vote for 5 years ago or so are: full season 1 daily , poss. 2... if you want this changed come to the fall SFAC meeting & put for a motion requesting a revision of those guiding principals during low abundance times.....

I remember, don’t worry about that. I will think better of getting into that conversation on here again. Pretty sure I do not need to get into why I say that.

It's pretty obvious that it go pushed through by lodges and guides that wanted to sell their clients on the opportunity to be able to take home 2 halibut in possession rather than one.

That is a FAR broader brush stroke than I was painting in my reply.
In fact Many and I mean many of the guides I know and on here would have much preferred a 1/1 as a larger fish size as it would have meant a more realistic expectation rather than weeding through a bunch of fish over 40lbs adding to the mortality.

Anyway don’t have a taste for getting into the same old recycled conversations. Just wanted to point out that next year will present an oportunity to try a different approach maybe. Also the state of the commercial fishery presented in the Facebook post has relevance to all of this.

I'm not trying to shut u down? just want to put those guiding principal out there... I'm always interested in hearing constructive conversation...as we always want to improve as we move forward.. :) To answer the question... this is one of those times were we have a certain amount of control on this fishery on how it is executed .. so we would be able to have the flexible to move the passion limits around depending on abundance .. we have to get more tools in the tool box as in the guiding principal depending on our available allocation.. of course we still have not achieve a fair allocation yet of a Canadian property

Thanks for that Derby. I Just did not want anyone to assume I am trying to start another **** show. Just hoping a slightly different approach may actually get some consideration. Considering the distinct possibility of less tac from IPHC coming our way a reduction of size beyond what it is now. Or worse limiting us on fishing methods to direct efforts on smaller fish is an unacceptable ask just to preserve an 11 month season or keep the appeal of full coolers.IMHO anyway

Last edited:
The cheapest I could find halibut in the lower mainland this month was 15 bucks a pound if you ordered minimum 10 pounds. My brother was up in port hardy this month and they were selling it at the dock for 8 bucks a pound.

I am not sure what they have to buy Quota for but that does not seem like they have much margins to make it worthwhile.

The cheapest I could find halibut in the lower mainland this month was 15 bucks a pound if you ordered minimum 10 pounds. My brother was up in port hardy this month and they were selling it at the dock for 8 bucks a pound.

I am not sure what they have to buy Quota for but that does not seem like they have much margins to make it worthwhile.

Quota is 5.75 a lb right now. That hali selling off the dock at $8 was most likely native and they pay ZERO for thier quota. Actually we pay for their quota the way i understand it

Not
Quota is 5.75 a lb right now. That hali selling off the dock at $8 was most likely native and they pay ZERO for thier quota. Actually we pay for their quota the way i understand it

So what is current landed market value to a fisherman leasing quota to fish. ? Not saying this as fact,but I actually heard it was lease at 5:75 and sell at 8 bucks to buyers. So 2:25 to pay for boat, expenses and deckhands.

Tell me again who benefits from ITQ fishing scams being passed of as management tools.?

If
I feel my blood pressure rising reading this thread.

Going to go drink rum

If only rum could fix everything.

Then again . If only complaining on here could fix everything.

Wait now my blood pressure is going up. How much Rum do you have? might be worth a try.

If

If only rum could fix everything.

Then again . If only complaining on here could fix everything.

Wait now my blood pressure is going up. How much Rum do you have? might be worth a try.
Yup, crying on here sure solves a lot. Good for the blood pressure too. At the end of the day unless there is a shift politically regarding the quota share and slipper skippers and i don't see it coming this fishery is doomed.

Drop mic

Oh yeah, rum is tasting real good!

Not

So what is current landed market value to a fisherman leasing quota to fish. ? Not saying this as fact,but I actually heard it was lease at 5:75 and sell at 8 bucks to buyers. So 2:25 to pay for boat, expenses and deckhands.

Tell me again who benefits from ITQ fishing scams being passed of as management tools.?

I don't know forsure but I think the landed price is in that neighbourhood. The fellows selling In hardy are usually natives and selling lower then market value. The best part is they fish quota giving to them by the federal government paid for by our taxes. The federal government has been purchasing halibut quota with tax payer money and giving it to natives for years. They then can turn around and lease it to commercial fishermen. What a system!

To stay on topic the slot decision will go down as one of the worst decisions in sport fishing history on the west coast

Back