How do you drop your traps?

Really ?
I have a hard time believing that I can't run two rods on my boat with an un-licensed
person aboard as long as they are not handling the fishing gear.
If you have 4 guys on board and 3 liscences you are allowed 3 rods if you have 2 guys with t2 liscences you are allowed whatever you want to run

You also technically can only retain crab from a crab trap that is labeled with your information that you are actively fishing.

I know some guides that mark with a sharpie on a piece of tap their clients info.

It also means if your friends are out with you and want to retain crab they need their own traps. However most people don’t follow this.

The rod thing I have never herd of being an issue expect back in the day I.n Campbell river where guides would take clients out without licenses and then if they saw dfo coming the guides would write them up a licence.

Best practice is everyone on the boat should have a licence but if grandma or your kids don’t have no I don’t see it being an issue.

If dfo ticketed me I’d challenge them in court on it.

Last edited:
You also technically can only retain crab from a crab trap that is labeled with your information that you are actively fishing.

I know some guides that mark with a sharpie on a piece of tap their clients info.

It also means if your friends are out with you and want to retain crab they need their own traps. However most people don’t follow this.

The rod thing I have never herd of being an issue expect back in the day I.n Campbell river where guides would take clients out without licenses and then if they saw dfo coming the guides would write them up a licence.

Best practice is everyone on the boat should have a licence but if grandma or your kids don’t have no I don’t see it being an issue.

If they catch you actively participating this would apply I'm told. Perhaps that what happened when the ticket was issued.

If the kids don’t have a license you are a cheap c$nt and you deserve a ticket because they are only $6.00 and 100% of that goes towards salmon conservation.

Why would I buy my son who can’t even reel in a fish a licence
He can still catch his limit.... and you can run as many rods as you like if everyone is licensed . Both my kids have theirs. And they cost pennies. I just renew the whole family when I do mine. Not much effort or cost there in comparison to what I spend on my boat and equipment etc.

It's pretty obvious they are trying to stop poacher's from pulling someone
else's gear.
do you really think that if you own the traps
you can't take a buddy with you to fish ?

It's pretty obvious they are trying to stop poacher's from pulling someone
else's gear.
do you really think that if you own the traps
you can't take a buddy with you to fish ?
I dunno. Not to the point that I'd do anything about it. This was just something that was brought up to me while talking to a guide a week ago. I agree it's silly but not the first time I'd heard it. I even had a buddy insist that we put his name on one just incase. This is like one of those "no barbed hooks" rules... up for interpretation. ;):p:rolleyes:o_O. (All those faces mean sarcasm warning).

A lot of misinformation on this thread as is typical of regulation discussions on internet forums...

I'd like to see where the number of rod restrictions as it relates to licenses on board is printed, and where this rule about someone not being able to keep shellfish from traps not labelled with their name. I've just spent a good deal of time combing through the regs and can't see any such regulations.

I'd like to see where the number of rod restrictions as it relates to licenses on board is printed, and where this rule about someone not being able to keep shellfish from traps not labelled with their name. I've just spent a good deal of time combing through the regs and can't see any such regulations.
Yeah but like has been stated before, some of it is up to interpretation. The rod thing I don't believe is a rule unless they're trying to nail you on something because they know you're bullshitting them. The buoy thing seems a little more clear to me. If you are retaining prawns then you are "fishing". So which trap did you fish?

Agreed, here is the unlawful action page which makes no mention of either

It is illegal to:
  • fish for salmon, other finfish or shellfish without a valid licence
  • catch and keep salmon without a valid Salmon Conservation Stamp attached to your licence
  • possess more than your daily limit or possession limit except for what is at your ordinary residence
  • wilfully foul hook or attempt to foul hook any fish except herring, mackerel, northern anchovy, Pacific sand lance, Pacific sardine and squid
  • fish for salmon, cutthroat trout or steelhead with a barbed hook, including within the tidal portions of any stream (such as the Fraser River and Skeena River)
  • angle with a fishing line that has more than one hook, artificial lure or artificial fly attached except:
    • in the tidal waters of the Fraser River, where you can attach two hooks, artificial lures or artificial flies to a bar rig
    • in tidal waters, where you can attach any number of hooks to a fishing line if using the hooks in combination to hold a single piece of bait
    • in tidal waters, where you can attach any number of hooks to a fishing line if fishing for herring, mackerel, northern anchovy, Pacific sand lance, Pacific sardine or squid
  • use spears to fish for salmon, trout, char, sturgeon, octopus or shellfish other than shrimp
  • use gaff hooks in angling except as an aid to landing a fish
  • use explosives or chemicals to molest, injure or kill fish
  • use snares to catch or attempt to catch any fish, including crab
  • use torches or artificial lights while sport fishing except when they are submerged and attached to a fishing line, within 1 m of the fishing hook
  • fish with a fixed weight (sinker) greater than 1 kg except on a downrigger line, in which case the fishing line must be attached to the downrigger by a release clip
  • leave a fishing line unattended in the water
  • angle in a Rockfish Conservation Area (RCA)
  • kill, harm, harass, capture or take a species listed as extirpated, endangered or threatened under the Species at Risk Act
  • fail to release with the least amount of harm any fish caught that you may not legally retain; when releasing a fish, you must immediately return it to the water you caught it from
  • release live fish into any fish habitat except for fish that you immediately return to the water you caught it from
  • trap or pen fish on their spawning ground, or in rivers or streams that lead to spawning grounds
  • buy, sell or barter or attempt to buy, sell or barter any fish caught by sport fishing
  • possess any sport caught fish that is not correctly packaged as described in Packaging and Transporting Your Catch for salmon, finfish, shellfish, or crab
  • field can any fish outside of a person's ordinary residence, other than at a registered licensed facility
Penalties for contravention of the British Columbia Sport Fishing Regulations include voluntary ticket payments up to $1,000 and possible seizure and forfeiture of fishing gear and catch, or court-imposed fines up to $100,000 on first offence and possible court-imposed forfeiture of fishing gear, catch, vessel or other equipment used in the commission of an offence. Licences may also be suspended or cancelled.

Yeah but like has been stated before, some of it is up to interpretation. The rod thing I don't believe is a rule unless they're trying to nail you on something because they know you're bullshitting them. The buoy thing seems a little more clear to me. If you are retaining prawns then you are "fishing". So which trap did you fish?

Up for interpretation sure, but what reg is being interpreted to justify these rules?

I'm not saying you can't be ticketed by an overzealous officer for a rule that isn't printed anywhere, but this is a discussion of actual rules, not things you might have heard from someone.

Back