How about some ground salmon recipes?

Kristo

A buddy with a food processor ground up some salmon this weekend.
Tried this recipe with a mixture of white and red spring salmon...25% red 75% white.
Very tasty........... found it on allrecipesdotcom Salmon Rosemary Burgers
I followed the recipe exactly and they turned out fantastic.
Ingredients
2 1/2 pounds king salmon fillet, skinned and de-boned
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup minced red onion
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil
Directions
1.Prepare the salmon by cutting into strips, cutting the strips crosswise, and chopping the fish until well minced. Be sure to remove any remaining bones.
2.In a large bowl, mix the minced salmon with bread crumbs, red onion, Dijon mustard, horseradish, and eggs. Season with rosemary, salt, and pepper. Chill at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
3.Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat.
4.Form the salmon mixture into 8 burger patties. Lightly coat each patty with olive oil.
5.Place salmon patties on the grill, and cook 4 or 5 minutes on each side.

We make almost the same thing, but we use canned salmon, mayo, green onion, bread crumbs, garlic, oregano, dill, thyme, fresh ground black pepper, salt and red pepper flakes.

It is simple to make and very taste.

Will have to try this one.

Thanks

Cheers

SS

I use ground salmon in the base for my seafood chowder.

I simmer Yukon golds in a broth, blend until smooth, add only 1/2L of half n half for richness, keep simmering very low, add the pre-sauteed carrots/onions/celery/bacon, and the ground salmon.

The salmon cooks in just a few minutes, gives it good flavour, and texture too. At this point, the chowder "base" is done.

I remove what I am going to serve right away (I make a stock pot full), put it into a small side pot and add whatever seafood I choose (chunks of fish, prawns, scallops, mussels, WHY). After simmering for few minutes that pot is done, and I freeze the remainder into 2-serving freezer bags for which I do the same as above once thawed - ie. add fresh seafood and simmer for a few minutes.

It ends up having nice a contrast between tender seafood and vegetables, and some "dry / chewier" bits of ground salmon.

A tip given to me once (and probably obvious to the more experienced folks here) is to use a spoon to scrape the meat from the ribcage of the salmon. It's amazing how much you will get off even one salmon ....

Cheers!

That chowder sounds great.
I used to make chowders when camping up north.
Dice potatos and slice onion,cover with salted water and boil until spuds are done.
Add lake trout or arctic char pieces and some veggies and continue cooking for a few minutes.
Add a small can of evaporated milk, black pepper and a glob of butter.
Remove from heat before it boils
Brings back memories of good times and good friends around the campfire/Coleman
stove.

I always find the tail end of the filet doesnt flake as easily, and is not as tasteful, and find the burger concept great for this section of the filet. The recipe I have used is below. Good Luck. DAJ

Salmon Rosemary Burgers

Prep Time: 15 Minutes
Cook Time: 10 Minutes
Servings: 8

"These savory salmon burgers hold up well on the grill, especially if you use a nice fillet of wild king salmon. Serve on an onion roll with lettuce, tomato, mustard, and horseradish for a great barbeque main dish."

Ingredients:
2 1/2 pounds king salmon fillet, skinned and de-boned
1 cup dry bread crumbs
1/2 cup minced red onion
1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 tablespoon minced fresh rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
2 tablespoons olive oil

Directions:
1. Prepare the salmon by cutting into strips, cutting the strips crosswise, and chopping the fish until well minced. Be sure to remove any remaining bones.
2. In a large bowl, mix the minced salmon with bread crumbs, red onion, Dijon mustard, horseradish, and eggs. Season with rosemary, salt, and pepper. Chill at least 30 minutes in the refrigerator.
3. Preheat an outdoor grill for medium-high heat.
4. Form the salmon mixture into 8 burger patties. Lightly coat each patty with olive oil.
5. Place salmon patties on the grill, and cook 4 or 5 minutes on each side

Back