Hourston Vs Livingston

Stormsails

Trying to decide on repowering a 14' Livingston or a 14'6 Hourston. Both boats are in really nice shape the Hourston has no rot and is solid original. I mostly fish out of Esperanza and Winter Harbour. The Livingston doesn't seem as safe offshore as the Hourston but I think the Livingston would be better on fuel. I do realize both are ridiculously small. But would appreciate any advice on which would be a better choice.

I owned a 14 6 Hourston years ago boat was a 1980 had a 50 yam for power great little boat but definitely small I fished Sidney back then so it was fine but I'd be a little Leary going to far out the west coast

My 14 Livingston spent more time offshore WCVI than in protected waters. When trolling, the low gunwales would beat you up when working the down riggers in rough water. To avoid this issue, you need something in the 25 ft range. Being a twin hull, it doesn't roll like a mono hull. The hull weighs around 250#. It was WAY better than my friends 16 ft Arima in rough water. With the twin hull, it has less planing surface but the lower weight probably makes them very similar on fuel.

Mine was a 1984 or so. There was plywood in the transom, no wood anywhere else. I had a Yamaha 40 2 stroke; went about 40 MPH but trolled cut-plug herring at idle.

Back