Hourston Rebuild Value

I agree big difference 23' and 30', I kinda like the looks of it, if not, it can always come off without too much effort.
I'm just messing around. It's your boat man, to each their own! Most of these guys know to just ignore me by now :rolleyes:

I'm just messing around. It's your boat man, to each their own! Most of these guys know to just ignore me by now :rolleyes:

I know, Its all good, I enjoy the chit chat and a little razing... :)

Not to derail but what would someone pay for a say 23ft Hourston rebuilt hull with new stringers. All set to go with or without pod, What would it be worth?

Good question. Almost every restored boat I have looked at ended up being a mish mash and if a surveyor got hold of it game over. It's different than a car restoration, which I have done 2 of, both I will lose money on. Difference is I did those for myself and no one else.

Anyway if you work backwards from what hourston wanted for the last island runners at around $220k with power, you have to think that is a limited market for a 26' cuddy at that cost.

So remove power from the hull, pod it and such, I think you might be able to pull $100k...maybe. What's a 255 monaro run these days? Add rigging and power you're around a buck 60 at least.

Also hourston owners don't give these things away even when the hulls clearly need some serious repairs. So lots of factors to consider...at the end of the day it's still an old rig.

Great ideas... realistically I could only do 1 or 2 at most per year, the other "unknown" would be finding hulls at an affordable price point. anything over 2-3k for a complete gut would not be feasible, just a thought! I have been searching for a 26 for a few months without any success thus far, are old hulls ending up in the shredder and landfill?

I know where one is generally but the owner needed to come to terms with what the market is going to bear for it. I'm going to the Coast for a te days this weekend so I can see if he's around and what his plans are.

Today's boat market is saturated to pull 100K lots of nice boats in that price range. A decked 23 hourston 50K mark max if it's dialed in IMO.

I think you're correct, I guess I am thinking of a totally new build. Mine has some typical light corrosion on the windshield frame So I contact taylormade and they quote me $6500 for a new aluminum frame kit and north of $1100 for the same in stainless Just for the windhsield...USD too.. Point being boat junk sure does add up.

Rob,

Hard no brother. This would not be a road I’d go down. Unless you’re doing this just for fun and the money doesn’t matter, I’d steer clear. the last thing I’d want to do is put a price on the labour you’d have in to it. Also, someone else negotiating you on what your time was worth or how much time it took to do a project. I’d be all in for you if you just wanted to turn out these boats for what you had into them and maybe some beer money.
I had one redone partly for me several years ago, it was nice and the guys that did the work were excellent people, but in the end, I was still selling a 40 year old used boat and the hit I took reflected it.

I loved the story of Chuck Hourston, and Pete that worked there is a prince of a man that does beautiful quality work. I think in the plastic boat market today, it’s just so competitive and the tech is so far out there that it’s be hard to compete. Albeit a very tried and tested hull design.

build a beauty for yourself and maybe yer best buddy!

tight lines,

BOAT...Bring On Another TenThousand......no money to be made on restoring these beauties....its a labour of love, and well worth it if you are getting satisfaction from the process of renewal. The fun is in the resto.

Rob,

Hard no brother. This would not be a road I’d go down. Unless you’re doing this just for fun and the money doesn’t matter, I’d steer clear. the last thing I’d want to do is put a price on the labour you’d have in to it. Also, someone else negotiating you on what your time was worth or how much time it took to do a project. I’d be all in for you if you just wanted to turn out these boats for what you had into them and maybe some beer money.
I had one redone partly for me several years ago, it was nice and the guys that did the work were excellent people, but in the end, I was still selling a 40 year old used boat and the hit I took reflected it.

I loved the story of Chuck Hourston, and Pete that worked there is a prince of a man that does beautiful quality work. I think in the plastic boat market today, it’s just so competitive and the tech is so far out there that it’s be hard to compete. Albeit a very tried and tested hull design.

build a beauty for yourself and maybe yer best buddy!

tight lines,

I very much agree and thank you all for being candor, as always I appreciate and value everyone's honesty and support!

Realisticly, from what I have seen, these boats will fetch no high than 35-40k no matter how thay are finished, at the end of the day they are still a 40-50yr old boat and as stated you can get a more modern Steiger Craft, Parker and many other for same $$.

I think there is a niche market for it but IMO the market is for a bear bones cheap option.

IMO if you rebuild an 18.2 foot hurston there is some money it IF and that's a big IF you can actually find a hull that needs a rebuild. That is a boat size that can be trailered easily and still a Premo hull design that can handle water.

Your market tho is limited to people tho that know how great the boats are and are willing to pay to have for it.

Bigger boats I cant speak to as i dont no the market well at all but the 18.2 size is a great ocean boat that also can be trailers easily with a relatively small truck or SUV. I personally would pay good money for a rebuilt one.

Finish the one you started! One or two a year while working a full time job? Your wife will love that lol!

Finish the one you started! One or two a year while working a full time job? Your wife will love that lol!

Thank you"Wild Bill" for your input but looking for feedback on feasibility... :confused: haha What do you think, any shillings to be made on this?

Couldn't pay me enough to do that again! If there is money to be made it should be viable to pay someone minimum wage to do the dirty work. But who would do that kind of work for that kind of money other than the dreamer who owns the boat. Just go buy NoLucks boat if you want an awesome boat for a decent price. No I don't think there is money to be made if you are looking for a decent return.

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/1980-24-glasply-hardtop.78036/

Last edited:
restorations are for love not money..... if you make 40 cents on every dollar you spent you are way ahead!

That second bertram without the fly looks very little like it did when it was completed other than cosmetically it is still blue. I viewed it a month or so ago and the owner has made additional significant investment since he bought it.

Back