horne lk cutties

Fish Camp

Pilot progect of collecting brood cutthoat, including recreational sport fishers.
I was invited to attand a oppertunity to fish for spawning females to be transported by moe to duncan for brood that might include esseray lk and other lks on the island.Yes it was cold all weekend. 1 cuttie was taken to duncan .15 cutties were tagged and released back to horne lake .tag is worth 100$ .seems everything i could find in the way of gear did not produce a bite x3 rods.one fellow caught and called the responce boat that took the cutty to be studied 4 out of 9 times on saturday.thankyou moe for the oppertuninty to be involved andI hope your hands have thawed out after having your bare hands in the water ,standing in the wind all day.

I hope they have a plan on replacing the fish they’re taking out of there ,they have been pounding it pretty hard for the last year or two, kind of interested on knowing if they return the brood ? Im betting if they keep this program going for another five years they will have wiped out another good fishery

The brood cutthroat trout they have taken in past to duncan hatchery was always from Sproat lk Taylor river.After decades of breeding ,the fish have developed deformitys and they needed a new sourse of taylor river fish .There choice to try to fix the problem was a taylor river fish from Horne lk.

What were they biting on? Never put in a whole lot of effort on the lake but hoping to give it a shot next weekend. Plan is to tow plugs, wedding bands etc at the campground end near the big q

Back