Honolulu Cell Phone advice

AlK

We are planning on going to Honolulu for about a month in 2020 and would like to use one of our cell phones while there. Would like to be able to text and make telephone calls within Oahu. Any advice as to what you recommend or what we should avoid.

What service provider are you on? My wife is on Rogers and can roam anywhere in the world for free on her plan. I’m on Telus and my plan sucks for roaming so I usually buy a SIM card whenever I travel for long periods of time. But you can also just add on to your current plan to cover yourself for the month you are in Honolulu.

Sorry, I forgot to mention that we are with Koodo. A couple of years back there add-ons were quite reasonable. Now they want $8.00 per day when in the US. Which is a crazy. We have a very basic plan and are only paying $25.00 per month.
Whose Sim card are you using?

I’ve used roam mobility SIM cards in the states before but that was years ago. You can buy them at staples and I think at London drugs. Service wasn’t the best but again, that was years ago when it was new. There may be better options now or just get a pay as you go card when you get to the airport.

I think Koodo is part of Telus network so that would explain why both of our roaming plans are expensive

Roam Mobility. If your phones unlocked you just order a SIM card from them and pay a daily fee. Rates of $2-5 US per day depending on plan. You set up an account online and top up as needed. Coverage is all US including Hawaii and PR. Its easy and reasonable. You get lots of data. Service is good. I’ve used them the last 5 years when I’m in the US. They’ll issue you a US number you can leave on your Canadian numbers mailbox for people to call you.

https://roammobility.com/

I'm with Koodo, was $7 per use day in 2018, that's all I used. I am not joined at hip with my phone, used only when "needed", also have small $50 plan, so daily was way to go. Do remember some of the locally purchased sim cards were not as advertised. Others had trouble getting some to work. Not so long ago we used to purchase cheap phones with data/minutes and throw away when data/minutes gone. Cant find those phones now, every one wants latest/greatest phone only. I think you should plan on paying no matter which route you take now. Monopoly from carriers now.

HM

https://roammobility.com/

My phone is unlocked.
From what I saw on the internet it appears a lot of Canadians have had issues with roammobility. Apparently their customer service is usleless.

Never had an issue. Frankly if they operated in Canada I’d use them here and dump Rogers. Anytime I’ve had to call, which is rare, they’re great. You do everything via their web portal. Set up a profile and Bobs your uncle. I have a friend who’s a long haul US trucker from Vancouver who told me about Roam. He used others and told me that Roam is best. You got nothing to lose. Try them for one day. It’ll cost you $6.

Back