Honda 2019 BF200-250 - anyone bought one?

BarryA

Crew Member
Honda refreshed their 200-250hp motors in 2018 Q4. I’m likely going to repower my 2008 200 Honda with the 225 model in the coming weeks.

Was curious if anyone has done the same and has feedback on the new IST “drive by wire” controls or any other feedback on power/efficiency improvements.

It will be also nice to finally step up to NMEA 2000 and get fuel burn and other engine data.

https://m.marine.honda.com/outboards/motor-detail/BF200-225-250

Barry

I’ll be following this thread. I’m 1300 hours into my Honda 250 (2013 model) Thinking about new power now. I wanted a 300 from Honda this year but no luck........Then I wouldn’t need to switch out rigging. The 250 is boarder line underpower for my rig when I load up on 4 day trips with 5 guys. Has been a great engine though. It’s a work horse! But thinking 300 or twin 150 for my repower.

Kevin

Well I just went ahead and ordered a new 2019 BF200 yesterday and will have it hung on the boat sometime in the next 2-3 weeks. I got Seattle Boat Show pricing thru my local Honda Dealer.

From what I was told when I ordered, the 2019 isn’t much different than a 2018 in terms of the motor itself (internals, performance, ECU programming, etc). It’s mostly a refresh involving improved anti-corrosion materials, better sealing around the bonnet to avoid water intrusion, and easier maintenance.

Will pair it with a new stainless prop and hopefully improve my fuel economy even further than my existing 2008 (8.0-8.5 GPH @ 25kts @ 4000) so I can cross SOG even cheaper now.

Barry

I’ll be following this thread. I’m 1300 hours into my Honda 250 (2013 model) Thinking about new power now. I wanted a 300 from Honda this year but no luck........Then I wouldn’t need to switch out rigging. The 250 is boarder line underpower for my rig when I load up on 4 day trips with 5 guys. Has been a great engine though. It’s a work horse! But thinking 300 or twin 150 for my repower.

Kevin

single 350 suzuki.

I never understood why Honda doesn’t make 300/350’s. I’m getting a new boat in the next 1-2 years and will need twin 300’s to push it. I really have nothing but good things to say about my Honda but will have to switch brands. Whisper quiet, easy to maintain, very high quality.

Kevin
Are you looking to sell your 2013?

single 350 suzuki.

I can’t do a 350, mileage is the most important thing for me. Where I fish I travel 300
Miles round trip and can’t fill up. I only have a 100 gal tank the. I pack
A few Jerry’s. If I could do the 350 I would definitely pay the extra. But the fuel
Tank isn’t large enough to
Support it for my application. I think the 300 gives me the extra pony’s I need and will
Still be efficient enough. Definitely looking at 300 Suzuki’s though. I’m assuming all the 300 brands r fairly similar
For mileage?

I never understood why Honda doesn’t make 300/350’s. I’m getting a new boat in the next 1-2 years and will need twin 300’s to push it. I really have nothing but good things to say about my Honda but will have to switch brands. Whisper quiet, easy to maintain, very high quality.

Yeah the 250 is so quiet, and has ran great. Had an issue right off the hop, in the first month. Warrrenty replaced the engine and have not looked back since. 1300 hours regular maintenance and only one O 2 sensor gone.

i have a 300 suzuki, cruise at 7-8gph, same as my old honda 225 (underpowered) . i believe the 350 would be even more efficient at cruise. this on a 2625 kingfisher

if your going for fuel efficiency, twins is not the way to go.

Last edited:
V8 300 HP mercury.......also I agree with blair, just because you have more HP doesn't mean you burn more fuel at cruise. You may actually burn less because the engine will be operating at a lower RPM......

V8 300 HP mercury.......also I agree with blair, just because you have more HP doesn't mean you burn more fuel at cruise. You may actually burn less because the engine will be operating at a lower RPM......

yup, lower gearing and massive prop= lower cruising rpm

Back