Hit and run boater

zurk

So my boat was sitting at the side of a square dock bow side out and this guy with the usual rental 20 footer comes in and tries to park it like a car on the front side of the dock. Manages to get his rear swim platform hitting my bow eye which promptly puts a huge gash in his fiberglass gel coat. yay for aluminum vs plastic boats lol. then he overcompensates by steering right at the dock, scrapes his bow on the dock and floats off. then tries reversing backwards into the dock. then he runs off. didnt see any damage to my front so dont really care but in the event of damage what would be the process ? anyone have any idea how to deal with a hit and run boater ? also whats the process in the event they do stop ? call it into insurance ?
i do have a bow camera so will see if any video comes out when i finish dumping it on the server.

I don’t think there is anything you can do besides getting your own insurance to cover any damage that may have been done.

So my boat was sitting at the side of a square dock bow side out and this guy with the usual rental 20 footer comes in and tries to park it like a car on the front side of the dock. Manages to get his rear swim platform hitting my bow eye which promptly puts a huge gash in his fiberglass gel coat. yay for aluminum vs plastic boats lol. then he overcompensates by steering right at the dock, scrapes his bow on the dock and floats off. then tries reversing backwards into the dock. then he runs off. didnt see any damage to my front so dont really care but in the event of damage what would be the process ? anyone have any idea how to deal with a hit and run boater ? also whats the process in the event they do stop ? call it into insurance ?
i do have a bow camera so will see if any video comes out when i finish dumping it on the server.

Transport Canada regulates boating laws throughout Canada. The law that governs the operation of all pleasure crafts in Canada is the Canada Shipping Act.

Owners and operators must also follow various regulations, such as the Vessel Operation Restriction Regulations, which include age restrictions for operating vehicles, licensing and registration rules for various types of pleasure crafts, speed limits and other specific safety requirements. It is the duty of the owners and operators of a boat to follow applicable laws and to exercise care in order to avoid collisions and to prevent injuries to passengers and other boaters.

Provincial laws
There may also be various provincial laws affecting recreational boat owners and operators, including:
  • Occupier Liability Acts
  • Highway Traffic Acts
  • Insurance Acts
Criminal Code offences
The Criminal Code also covers offences relating to boating, including operating a boat while impaired, failing to stop at the scene of an accident, and operating an unseaworthy boat.

If someone is convicted of operating a boat while under the influence of alcohol or drugs the minimum penalty is $600 for the first offence, with both prison time and fines for additional offences.

get the License number and report it to the RCMP. Boaters have the same responsibility as car drivers to identify themselves in the event of a collision.

Back