High Tech Jigging

Waterwolf2230

Hey guys,

A few people over time have asked me to detail how I jig for salmon. By no means am I the authority on salmon jigging but my success at times speaks for itself and I think for some that by reading this it'll help you bypass some of the mistakes that I made (not that I'm not still screwing up from time to time). For me, jigging the way I do is more technical than what I see most others doing and once you get the hang of it is extremely addicting. I’m going to break it down into my gear/setup and then techniques.

For gear, again I have non-traditional setups. Most people that I see are using either 10’6” mooching rods with single action reels or BIG reels with pool cues. There are problems with each of these setups. First a long 10’6” rod/reel has an action that bends from the handle. When you are lucky enough to get a salmon to strike, the rod has absolutely no backbone to set the hook properly. On top of that the rod will not impart the proper action on a jig to really make it ‘flick’ (more on that later). Single action reels when stationary jigging haven’t a hope in keeping up with a running salmon. Don’t forget that you aren’t trolling where the boat is helping play the fish and keep your line tight. Higher speed reels can take up slack quickly and will help to avoid them spitting the hook. You'll be able to see in the videos that I've attached the action on the rods. Tons of bend...tons of backbone.

The pool cue setups are problematic for several reasons. They lack the sensitivity to properly feel your jig. Stiff rods also don’t have enough bend to play the fish properly so you are relying solely on the drag of the reel and that is problematic. You lose that elastic band effect of a rod that has a more parabolic action. If you look closely at the specs on a quality jigging rod it’ll usually have a lure rating ie: 168 gram (6oz) etc. This means that the rod will effectively jig a lure up to and including that weight. When you use jigs over that rating they will weigh the tip down and you will lose that ‘flick’ that is so effective at creating those reaction bites. Oh and this setup is exhausting. There is no way you can jig all day properly with this setup.

I have the following setups which range quite a bit in price. What I’ve found is that they all work beautifully but the difference in rods anyway is that the more expensive a rod gets, the more sensitive the blank is and the lighter it gets. I have 1 spinning setup, 1 levelwind and 2 conventional setups. These rods impart a ton of ‘snap’ on a lure when jigging. It’s hard to describe until you get one in your hands how light they are. When you first feel them you’ll be skeptical and think that there is no way that they’ll handle anything more than a trout but trust me, I’ve watched videos where they are landing Bluefin tuna on these setups.

1 – Shimano Trevala S – TVSC63MH – Lure Rating 168g rod with Shimano Calcutta 400 Levelwind

2 – Shimano Trevala F – TFC63M – Lure Rating 75 – 200g with Shimano Trinidad 16NA

3 – Shimano Game Type J – GTYPJS603 – Lure Rating 180g with Shimano Stella 5000

4 – Shimano Game Type J – GTYPJB605 – Lure Rating 300g with Shimano Trinidad 12A

On my trip to Esperanza in May, I caught my first ever halibut on a butterfly jig with #4 rod and #2 reel (I mix and match my setups). My guide had just been teasing me about trying to catch a hali with a ‘Trout Rod’. We had Octopus on one side (care of Rayvon) and salmon belly on the other. I fished off the back and within a few minutes WHAM and my rod folded over. That setup made quick work of a 65lb hali. The further the rod bends the more backbone it shows. It actually shocked my guide how fast the rod pulled the hali to the surface. You noticed that I said rod and not me. The rod does most of the work. With a pool cue, you are either relying on the gearing in the reel or to heave and reel. In a very short time, I made a believer out of him and soon the rod was in his hands lol. I’ve landed multiple salmon in the 20-26lb range on these (unfortunately no Tyee jigging…yet!). As for the reels, they all have a decent retrieve rate. This to me is critical to keep the line tight throughout the fight, especially jigging shallow where the fish are totally green when they get near the boat and start going crazy. The Trinidad 16NA for example has a 6.2:1 ratio and pulls in 46” of line per crank. I have yet to have a salmon outrun that setup. It’s also the reel that took down that hali without breaking a sweat. The drag system is second to none that I’ve ever seen anyway. I’m not the only one on the forum that has that reel so I’m sure I’ll get some backup on that.

I use nothing but PowerPro Depth Hunter line on all of my jigging reels in either 30 or 40lb test (I have yet to have a breakoff). If you aren’t familiar with the line it is metered line whereby it changes color every 25’ (four colors in total – Blue, Yellow, Green and Orange). It also has tiny black marks every 5 feet. This allows you to accurately fine tune the depth that you fish. When you see a bait ball that starts at 125’ and goes to 175’ you know that when dropping your jig, you let out 5 colors to be at the top of the ball or 7 colors if you want to jig below it. I can’t tell you how many times I’ve marked a good arch on the finder and was able to put the jig right in front of its nose and get that fish. It takes the guesswork out of depth. I’ve tried line counters before but they are terribly inaccurate. I watch the finder and tell my mates “Up one color or down two colors” based on what I am seeing on the screen. Highly successful way to target salmon. To my Depth Hunter I place a red bead (to protect my rod tip) and a Sampo swivel (tied with a Palomar Knot). I then attach 50 or 60lb fluorocarbon typically Seaguar STS or Blue Label. If you skip this step and tie direct to the braid you will more often that not, foul your lure on your line. The fluorocarbon is stiff and for lack for better terms ‘pushes’ the lure away from the line. Fluorocarbon is also incredibly tough and can withstand crazy punishment from teeth. I then tie direct to the lure. Using a snap will also lead to fouling jig.

As for locating fish, I can only speak to the Campbell River and Grant’s Reef area which are my two main areas that I fish salmon. Typically, at first light and in the evenings on the Wilby Shoals, I’ll target the shallows and look for birds. Rarely will I even waste my time dropping a jig if I’m not on bait. All you’ll end up with is bycatch. I tend to fish the top of the bait more often than the bottom, especially if you can mark the arches with a good sounder. I tend to try and stay out of the middle of the ball. I like the idea of salmon cleaning up stragglers and not having my lure compete with thousands of herring. The key to staying on target with your lures is to back troll with either an electric or a kicker etc. to keep your line below the boat. If there is too much angle on your line the jigs won’t have the action that is needed. That is best way to allow this system to work. If I can’t find bait, I’ll either cruse with rod in hand or if I’m desperate I’ll troll to get a feel for what the bait is doing.

As for jigs, I now almost exclusively use Shimano Flat Fall Butterfly Jigs. Once you use them you'll know why. There is nothing on the market that compares in my opinion anyway. I've attached some video of them in action. They have a keel on the backside that allows the lure to flutter, fall, flutter, fall. It creates unreal reaction strikes. Many of my fish are caught on the fall. With that said, you need to monitor your line as it falls. With Levelwinds or conventional reels you can thumb the spool on the drop. The second there is a change in pace you know that you have a fish on. Sometimes it’ll literally just start peeling line off and you have only a second or so to react before they realize it isn’t what they were looking for. As for scent, I never jig without it. My feeling is that yes, these jigs create reaction strikes but when you get a hit that doesn’t stick, the scent will increase your odds that they’ll return. For me scent adds to my confidence as well. I truly believe that if you are confident in your approach that you’ll be more attentive and catch more fish. For me Smelly Jelly has done great but bases on NOG’s recommendation I’m going to get me some X-10.

Continued...

Attachments

• Salmon 4.JPG
    Salmon 4.JPG
    298.9 KB · Views: 1,294
  • Salmon 5.JPG
    Salmon 5.JPG
    362.2 KB · Views: 1,176
  • Salmon 6.JPG
    Salmon 6.JPG
    291.3 KB · Views: 1,175
  • Salmon 7.JPG
    Salmon 7.JPG
    156.5 KB · Views: 1,137
  • Ling 2.JPG
    Ling 2.JPG
    326.8 KB · Views: 1,227
  • Phantom Squid.JPG
    Phantom Squid.JPG
    227.1 KB · Views: 1,350
Just a few weeks ago, we were at Grants Reef, trolling back and forth through a huge bait ball…3 or 4 times through it and nothing. I had my buddy stop and we dropped down. I could feel my jig hitting every herring on the way down as it bounced through the school. Approximately 20’ from the bottom in 200’ of water, my line started peeling off! I was asleep at the wheel and didn’t lock up my reel in time and lost it so I continued to let it fall to the bottom. I never keep a jig in one place for any amount of time. I use a cadence to work the water column. I give it a snap and reel once, snap, reel, snap, reel and do this as work up through my desired target zone. It simulates an injured fish trying to flee. In this case within 3 snaps I had a beautiful strike that this time took and landed a respectable 15lb spring. Just as we were netting that one, my son hooked up seconds after his line his bottom for a near double header and he landed a nice 11lber.

I think that I’ve covered most of what I do, please feel free to add comments or if I missed something let me know. I hope that for those that haven’t tried jigging that I’ll give you a head start.

Curtis

Salmon Video 1

Salmon Video 2

Ling Video

One thing I didn't mention was the hookup % of those jigs. They have dual assist hooks that face in opposing directions so no matter how the fish hits it usually get stuck. I plan on buying some kevlar cord from Saltywater Tackle to make my own as the cord does eventually begin to wear. As for colors the two hottest colors for us have been the Chartreuse Glow and Phantom Squid followed up by the Blue Sardine and Pink/Blue/White.

Thanks for posting on this topic. I've been reading about the flat fall jigs since they came out, and decided to pick some up and swim them a bit this summer. The tuna guys run stingers on the top eye on these jigs instead of the stock assist hooks on the bottom, but intuitively it seems like that would end up in more line-fouling. Having not gotten them wet yet I don't know.

The way most people describe working these jigs, it sounds like as with most jigs, fish tend to hit on the drop. Are strikes easy to detect on the drop if you keep a "tight" slack line on the fall with your thumb on a casting reel? Also, as you work it on your way up, are you basically describing a process where you're twitch-reeling up 6 ft, flutter 3 feet, up 6 feet flutter 3 feet, or something like that?

These seem so unlike most of our action jigging presentations (like darts, etc), that I'd imagine the work is a little different. Great post, and good advice on the depth hunter line. . .might have to rig my jig rods like that!

Thanks for taking the time to post!

fb

Thanks for taking the time to write this, and providing such great info. You had talked about these jigs a few months back and I bought a couple of the sardine ones. I also had bought some Shimano flat fall in the purple and black for tuna last winter. I have bought two jigging setups mostly to try on tuna, but was unable to try them out last season due to the poor conditions.
I'm off to Esperanza end of the month, and will certainly be trying out jigging for salmon and Hali then.
I'll be buying some of the colored braid you suggested, that was great info too. You had mentioned it previously, but I hadn't remembered to change that out on my reels.

Thanks for the write up. A long time ago before I became a trolling fisherman, I used buzz bombs. Do you have any experience with them? Do you like them? Are they "old school"?

The guy in the video below uses a similar technique...what I forgot to explain is that say you want to work the bottom 25' or so of the bait ball. Use that cadence as you work up 1 color of your line and then immediately Freefall the lure back down again monitoring the line and repeat. This video does a great job of explaining it and showing the action as it's being worked up and down.

Jig action -

Technique -

Great info as others have already said. I used to jig quite a bit years ago, but have not done much, other than for halibut lately. I as going to pick up a few jigs and try them out again.

Oly

Been a Salmon jigger since 1978; did aTuna/Mahi Mahi trip on jigs as well. I'd rather play the fish on a 10'6" but at 66 Y/O the long rod is too hard on the body. I use 20# power pro on both knuckledusters & spinners. With a spinner I'll cast the jig, then jerk it every couple seconds while it falls. Depending on where the Salmon are being marked, I'll either repeat or let it go to the bottom & work it up.

The Salmon most always strike on the free-fall. Had a day at Portland point where i wanted Halibut but could not get through the springs; some would spit it but some would hook-up no matter how long I left the line slack. Has a day on the Princess boats back in 1985 or so where be & my buddy were using Point Wilson Darts (needlefish shape) while the rest were using the CP standard reef raiders. We limited on 25# fish outfishing the whole boat. Two of our fish were caught reeling in at full speed. I have since seen the CP crew use a similar technique trying to hook fish or a customer.

I'd say the following:

(1) Line has to be vertical except when casting
(2) Line has to be slack on the freefall
(3) Short stiff rod like the trevala
(4) Use super braid
(5) Pull hard & often for Salmon; bottomfish will hit a still lure
(6) Match the shape of the jig to the feed. I have found Buzz Bombs to be inferior to fish shaped jigs.

Thanks for posting on this topic. I've been reading about the flat fall jigs since they came out, and decided to pick some up and swim them a bit this summer. The tuna guys run stingers on the top eye on these jigs instead of the stock assist hooks on the bottom, but intuitively it seems like that would end up in more line-fouling. Having not gotten them wet yet I don't know.

The way most people describe working these jigs, it sounds like as with most jigs, fish tend to hit on the drop. Are strikes easy to detect on the drop if you keep a "tight" slack line on the fall with your thumb on a casting reel? Also, as you work it on your way up, are you basically describing a process where you're twitch-reeling up 6 ft, flutter 3 feet, up 6 feet flutter 3 feet, or something like that?

These seem so unlike most of our action jigging presentations (like darts, etc), that I'd imagine the work is a little different. Great post, and good advice on the depth hunter line. . .might have to rig my jig rods like that!

Thanks for taking the time to post!

fb
I've used the single assist hooks as well. They are longer but fouling has never been an issue. When I was out in Esperanza, the area we were fishing was really rocky/reefy and those didn't get hung up on the bottom because of that. I have a great picture of a spring with a single assist hook dead square centre of his upper lip. I'd say both have high hookup ratios. Much better in my opinion than trebles and great for releasing.

Make sure when you are dropping that you are lightly thumbing the line. Any real resistance will kill the action. It's a bit tougher with a spinner. You have to watch it closely and the I just grab the spool to set before flipping the bail and then hold on! And your description is pretty close. I vary it too kind of like the old guy in the video I posted. In regards to the Depth Hunter, once you use it you won't go back. If you jig Hali's or always on the bottom I guess it's not that big of a help but by constantly working the depth of the bait ball you'll double or better your catch. I that video I have the same rod as the old guy. You can see the parabolic action of the rod and how it flexes to play the fish. It's pretty awesome...

Thanks for the write up. A long time ago before I became a trolling fisherman, I used buzz bombs. Do you have any experience with them? Do you like them? Are they "old school"?
Sorry I'm not a fan of Buzz Bombs. I know that a lot of fellas use them but I hate the hook system. The limited times that I've used them I haven't had any strikes on salmon. Maybe others have had different experiences with them.

I don't use the BB's either, except when I gotta launch them and fish horizontally and shallow (think humpies for kids, and beach fishing silvers). I'm a fan of the PW darts historically, since where I fish, sandlance are the main forage, and you gotta get deep, in the dirt, in heavy current. I'm interested in trying these flat fall jigs, though. Thanks again for the effort to post and help folks out,

fb

Give this guy a medal.

Threads like this are what makes forums great - thanks for taking the time WaterWolf2230!

I'll attempt to put some of this advise into practice, always hard to try a new method when I feel so much more confident on the troll.

As for the drop, how much do you let it drop? 5ish feet? When I attempted to learn with those flatfalls I read the back of the package and was dropping 30' without success.
'

Last edited:
Give this guy a medal.

Threads like this are what makes forums great - thanks for taking the time WaterWolf2230!

I'll attempt to put some of this advise into practice, always hard to try a new method when I feel so much more confident on the troll.

As for the drop, how much do you let it drop? 5ish feet? When I attempted to learn with those flatfalls I read the back of the package and was dropping 30' without success.
'
Was your line directly below the boat? If it's off at too much of an angle the action of the lure changes and it doesn't fall properly. I usually work 25' chunks. Either the top 25' or bottom 25' of a bait ball. If there are a lot of rockfish or Ling below I stay at the top. Don't just do a straight retrieve and then let it fall, I don't find that very good and that is kind of what the package says to do. Watch the YouTube video I posted above with the old fella jigging. Use that technique for about 25' and then Freefall it with your thumb on the spool. I've had a TON of strikes/fish on the fall doing it that way. I don't find a ton of success by jigging in the middle of a bait ball. Too much competition. And thanks for the kudos, I had fun going through my videos and writing that last night.

Thanks for all of the great tips Waterwolf. I do some kayak fishing and have electronics on board but no downrigger. This seems like a great way to target fish at all depths.
Super thorough tutorial the pictures of some of your catch are impressive!

Just a few weeks ago, we were at Grants Reef, trolling back and forth through a huge bait ball…3 or 4 times through it and nothing. I had my buddy stop and we dropped down. I could feel my jig hitting every herring on the way down as it bounced through the school. Approximately 20’ from the bottom in 200’ of water, my line started peeling off! I was asleep at the wheel and didn’t lock up my reel in time and lost it so I continued to let it fall to the bottom. I never keep a jig in one place for any amount of time. I use a cadence to work the water column. I give it a snap and reel once, snap, reel, snap, reel and do this as work up through my desired target zone. It simulates an injured fish trying to flee. In this case within 3 snaps I had a beautiful strike that this time took and landed a respectable 15lb spring. Just as we were netting that one, my son hooked up seconds after his line his bottom for a near double header and he landed a nice 11lber.

I think that I’ve covered most of what I do, please feel free to add comments or if I missed something let me know. I hope that for those that haven’t tried jigging that I’ll give you a head start.

Curtis

Salmon Video 1

Salmon Video 2

Ling Video
Those are some awesome vids W. Wolf and thanks for the time it took you to write all that. My wife bought me a few of those jigs last year for Father's Day from Pacific Playgrounds. I should dig the one I have left out and add a picture to show the beating that thing took last summer. I do a bastardized version of what you said above but will definitely have to get that line. I can't find it anywhere online though.

Those are some awesome vids W. Wolf and thanks for the time it took you to write all that. My wife bought me a few of those jigs last year for Father's Day from Pacific Playgrounds. I should dig the one I have left out and add a picture to show the beating that thing took last summer. I do a bastardized version of what you said above but will definitely have to get that line. I can't find it anywhere online though.

Amazon.ca does have it, you just might have to through a couple pages of the power pro braid to find it.

Hope this helps

Oly

Back