High Rize Kicker Remote Steering

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by ronin2024, Feb 11, 2019.

1. ronin2024

ronin2024 Crew Member

I was at the Vancouver Boat Show looking for some options on Remote Steering for my new kicker. I saw the Panther and Intellisteer there and I spent a lot of time talking with Intellisteer. I was going to buy the intellisteer model R. I really liked the design but the motor is huge and I really don't have a ton of space on my boat unless I remove some of the flotation foam for the stern of my boat. He mentioned that some of his clients used a battery box and mount on the stern but I really didn't like that idea.

I was talking with a guy at Galleon and he mentioned High Rise had a remote option. When I looked at this model it was compact and the motor and actuator is small. All of the electronics is installed on the inside of the kicker and the unit pulls the power from the motor. It also comes with a joystick and a FOB for steering.
    Does anyone have any experience with this model for their kicker? Their website does not really promote the steering option that well. Their main focus is their jack plate.

http://highriz.com/gallery.html#prettyPhoto

Thanks,
    Ronin2024

StormTrooper likes this.
  2. Capt_Ed

Capt_Ed Crew Member

I went to his house a couple years ago and went through the steering unit with him. Looks like a solid unit, easy installation. He was selling them for $550 on craigslist at the time but I was heading home to the Okanagan and told him I would be back in the spring and pick one up when I was going back to the island where my boat is. When I called him in the spring he said best he could do was $675, kinda pissed me off so I didn't buy it. I still think there a solid unit but as I said, it pissed me off

3. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Crew Member

Understanding the manufacturing process of a small business is part of what I have learned to do over the years. In small run processes it always cost more to produce than it does for a national manufacture that purchases parts by the thousands. Things like dollar exchange, shipping, excise fees all affect the cost of parts. The same happens if he outsources his aluminum fabrication and powder coating(the other outsourced companies are also affected by similar circumstances) I don't know this guy, it is the very first time that I have heard of the product. It looks good and I would not at all be afraid of the $675 price tag considering the cost of other similar products. It is certainly inline with the cost of a good top shelf fishing reel, downrigger, pot hauler, anchor winch, YETI cooler. It seems like a fair price to me for what he offers. As long as he backs it up with awesome after purchase customer service, then all involved are winners. The unit looks like a great problem solver.

4. Capt_Ed

Capt_Ed Crew Member

The $675 was what it was last year , I believe it is over $700 now

5. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Crew Member

Still reasonable. Small business manufacturing shows simply don't have the advantage created by volume parts purchases. There are similar but not exact products available on the market for like $1000 landed from USA. Most of a companies money will be tied up in the motors and any circuit boards and aluminum fab and finishing. Any company still needs to make a margin to stay in business otherwise there would be no point in making it. It seems like this company is trying to stay in a certain price range in order to become the choice based upon price. If the company doesn't make enough margin, it won't be around long or that is when some companies start to cut corners. So don't bag on a company for coming up with a good usable solution that in my mind is fairly priced for what it does.

ronin2024 likes this.
  6. Trophy

Trophy Active Member

7. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Crew Member

8. ronin2024

ronin2024 Crew Member

I was looking at this but as well. They did not have a presents at the boat show. It would cost $1k from Boat World in Ontario shipping included. I saw a dealer in Salmon Arm was a distributor and they wanted $1,100 for the units. The High Rise unit is $780 now at the show. I was hoping there were a couple of members who had them installed.

9. StormTrooper

StormTrooper Crew Member

I am intrigued by its simplicity of operation. I may do this, it looks good to me. The price is acceptable and it's footprint is low-pro on most boats. Thanks for sharing the link earlier.
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCFHS9OPU3OrZI-HCLZP9oxA