Hi Im new !

D

dinkfloat

this looks like a good place to get some answers....fishermen always seem so obliging

this is my question (to anyone)
..I have always heard that when trolling for springs in the winter ,flashers are not required due to the clarity of the water....
however during the rest of the year flashers should be used.

what I would like to know is that if you are fishing at ,say,180 ft...is the water any murkier at that level in the summmer than in the winter?...or is it always gin clear way down there.....thanx

As far as I know the reason behind the murky waters is due to the plankton blooms that come with warmer weather and increased sunlight.
Then in theory since the lower water colum dosn't receive nearly as much light or heat, the lower waters would be much clearer than the surface. Once you go lower than the first thermocline it would rapidly get clearer. In the summer I am amazed at how small of baits and lures would be snapped up in a hurry from deapths of 200+ feet.

Hope this helps

Yes with the sunlight and warmer temps we get our plankton and algae blooms. But don't forget that we have our tidal action that acts like a big mixing bowl. Therefore my theory is that in the warmer months with low light conditions at greater depths visability is not as good. A flasher becomes more productive then.

Rumrunner

thanx for the info you guys....maybe it depends on what area your in?
I hate using flashers unless you have to

I am retired and moved to Quadra Island...I live on the beach on the east side...one of my favorite pastimes is to row my 8..ft rowboat just off the kelp bed...I know there are coho,and maybe the odd spring in close....but never any luck regarding the BIG hook up.
can anybody recommend a spoon/plug/bait that might be effective at slow speed?....any Ideas?

Try some live bait from your local live bait dealer on quadra.Some weight and a6 foot leader 2 small treble hooks one through the nose and one through the back above the spine.Just drop it down and watch your rodtip for bites.Or maybe cutplug herring it will work on chinook

Hi Dinkfloat,

I live to the west, overlooking Quadra. Which kelp bed are you in? The good ones are at the south side of Quadra. Go see the boys over at Tyee or look on the south wall of their shop. They have some handmade bucktails hanging there. Most of the boys there used to guide and know the colours and the weights 1/4 to 1/2oz. Timing is of the essence. Hope this helps.
Tight lines,

Rumrunner

...Hey Rumrunner....I live about maybe 1 1/2 miles south of Rebecca spit..as you probably know its a long even shoreline...I think fish cruise up and down the beach...but as you said timing is everything

....Ive never actually considred bucktails behind a relatively slow moving row boat...just thought the action would be too slow???????

bait sounds promising but Im getting old and lazy and just wondered what the alternatives were...Tyee pool proves that spoons and plugs work ...maybe more finesse is in order?????? lots to learn!!!!!

Funny,I bumped into this old thread......I was Dinkfloat then ,and now Fishless....
Well,that was ,like 18 years ago,and I am now 68,and still.l rowing my little row boat ,have I learned much?..,debatable,but still enjoying trying to figure out how to catch the big one......much more fun and rewarding than trolling in my bigger boat.......BTW, slow trolled bait rowed near shore is the most productive for me (in this area)

Funny,I bumped into this old thread......I was Dinkfloat then ,and now Fishless....
Well,that was ,like 18 years ago,and I am now 68,and still.l rowing my little row boat ,have I learned much?..,debatable,but still enjoying trying to figure out how to catch the big one......much more fun and rewarding than trolling in my bigger boat.......BTW, slow trolled bait rowed near shore is the most productive for me (in this area)
So, answer the 20 year old question… do you use a flasher?

I am retired and moved to Quadra Island...I live on the beach on the east side...one of my favorite pastimes is to row my 8..ft rowboat just off the kelp bed...I know there are coho,and maybe the odd spring in close....but never any luck regarding the BIG hook up.
can anybody recommend a spoon/plug/bait that might be effective at slow speed?....any Ideas?
If you’re near the Breton Islands in Heriot Bay area I was there this summer, lots of success for guys in my group mooching close in there. Find the bait and drop

Butlers point still has a lot of Tyees. 602 plug

a 6 inch Tomic Tubby in #600 and #602 would be a good starting point for rowboat fishing. The Tubby series is designed to be fished slow at rowboat speeds.

CR Greg

X2 on mooching a cutplug, takes much more skill that trolling around gear, but once you dial it in it’s super productive , and very gratifying way of fishing . Somewhat of a lost art with the exception of a few pockets/lodges around the coast. My favourite way to fish

Back