Herring spawn reports?

Thanks Bugs, a picture is worth a thousand words! Going out tomorrow, any suggestions where to go. Did you jig them?

We were just South of the entrance to Deep Bay on the Vancouver Island side... Haven't really jigged much before. We found that in really shallow water (3 to 5 feet) right in the spawn (white water) we tended to snag a few but get less in the mouth with the jigs. In deeper water (15 feet) on the edge of the spawn we could load up with multiple fish on a rig if we left it down. I am sure you will find them! Good luck.

I love how you layered them. They look really good.

Not sure if I will target them this year....... Gave all mine away last year

Last year someone posted a method to preserve the herring so they don't lose their scales. Putting them in a bucket of fresh water or something? Also how are you freezing them. Couple of years ago, I scooped a salmon net of Herring into my boat( big mistake, they got every where) and tried to freeze them. The bellies all turned yellow and blew out. Even the crabs didn't like them. Someone on here was dipping them in water and then when they were frozen, vacuum sealing them? Can't find thru the search method. Any tips?

Here is some pictures I saw on Facebook today of the spawn happening at Bowser and Qualicum.
17e3dad7c0ce71a5dc5d1fb67b0e590f.jpg
d28d9a89c21bf36f61fab5be35b25ca0.jpg
a3df3eda57afcb26a93352a33a985a96.jpg
7fdf03508882a0bc21c0583688b8caf9.jpg
f4c4547e7a8456dc7958840efc829e4c.jpg

Yes, that is an amazing sight from the air. Great to see that much herring spawn going on.

Hey has anyone seen anything going on in Howe Sound yet? I expect there should be some spawning this week with the new moon, and feeders coming to eat them.

Got a bucketful at Point Holmes yesterday on the ramp using just a fine mesh dip net. Spawning all around the ramp!

Went for a spin today from Comox harbour to Lazo. Only one area of spawn right off the Comox Bluffs. Two commerial boats out, both with sealions in their nets.

Here its just a crazy spawn up between Bates Beach and Kitty. I was told it's amazing to sit on the beach and watch all the wild life going crazy over the herring.

Ran from Fingers to Schooner this afternoon looking for herring.
Lots of birds, flocks of many hundreds just inside Nanoose Harbour, but no herring.
Beauty day on the chuck!

Fished Neck point today with Bill von Brendel. Great day out there, lots of huge herring balls, jigged some for bait. Caught three salmon released 2 and kept 1 for the BBQ. The master taught me lots today thanks Bill.

Back