Herring Sale in Steveston, January 11

We are completely sold out!

Thanks to everyone who came. We'll be fulfilling pre-orders until 3:30pm. Check out the Fishermen Helping Kids with Cancer Herring & Hake Sale www.fhkwc.ca next weekend if you missed out.

------------------------------------

Some of you came out to our Herring Sale in January and we're going to be doing it again next month. Check out our website for more info or just come out to the dock next to Garry Point Park in Steveston on the 11th! All proceeds support autism information and training. Thanks to Oceanside Fisheries and Steveston Harbour Authority for their support.

Herring2020-1200x630.jpg

Last edited:
Anybody feel like grabbing me a bag or two? I'll be away :(

How would it be for bait. ? Cut plugging

I was thinking the same thing around the (cancelled) December sale. Feedback was it can be done but, based on prior years, apparantly a lot of the herring are way too big for teaser heads and some will be missing scales. Pick and choose the best quality, smaller herring with scales intact and brine & then vacuum pack in bait size portions. Remainder to be used for crab/prawn bait or eaten.

I plan on buying a few bags this weekend for bait. Personally don't mind bigger herring for cutplugging just find that taking the extra step to cut a v-notch at anal exit along with a longer brine helps the big ones last longer.

Last edited:
I was thinking the same thing around the (cancelled) December sale. Feedback was it can be done but, based on prior years, apparantly a lot of the herring are way too big for teaser heads and some will be missing scales. Pick and choose the best quality, smaller herring with scales intact and brine & then vacuum pack in bait size portions. Remainder to be used for crab/prawn bait or eaten.

I plan on buying a few bags this weekend for bait. Personally don't mind bigger herring for cutplugging just find that taking the extra step to cut a v-notch at anal exit along with a longer brine helps the big ones last longer.
I think Chasin Dreams cuts strips

Just like the FHKWC sale, there's a chance the sea lions could postpone the whole thing, so please check our website or the pre-order page before you head out, and we'll post here and also email everyone who pre-orders in case of postponement.

Just like the FHKWC sale, there's a chance the sea lions could postpone the whole thing, so please check our website or the pre-order page before you head out, and we'll post here and also email everyone who pre-orders in case of postponement.

I don't live in the Lower Mainland, but will be in Richmond on Saturday.
If I pre-order, will I be refunded should the fishing not happen?
I won't be back down for the next attempt should there be one.

How would it be for bait. ? Cut plugging
@Chasin' Dreams uses it for bait if I remember correct ?
I think Chasin Dreams cuts strips

Hey guys yes I catch the majority of my Spring and Summer Chinook on Herring from these fund raiser sales. I also always run Anchovy but I'm usually higher on my hook ups with my Herring set ups over Anchovy but they are pretty close. Some times one will outwork the other.

I've been buying Herring from these sales and using them for bait since the late 80's when they used to do the fund raisers over in North Van. I also make up batches of Roll Mops with them and I use the guts, heads and back bones from them for crab and prawn bait. These were also the go to bait of my father in law always, as well as his crew of fishermen he grew up with fishing out of Point Roberts. They do have less scales on them than store bought bait herring but I have never seen that matter much if you are using them in teaser heads and/or adding brine colors to them anyways to add attracting qualities to them. I use them whole, cut plugging, and for strips. Even with less scales for that it doesn't seem to matter much. I run them mostly with flashers due to that fact but when the fish are in big numbers and biting aggressively none of that really matters too much anyways. Strips can out fish whole or cut plug at times too. You can run strips with or without teaser heads. If you brine them up stiff enough you don't even need a teaser on them for strips.
I buy lot's every year, cure them up and vacuum pack them for use through the year.

Hey guys yes I catch the majority of my Spring and Summer Chinook on Herring from these fund raiser sales. I also always run Anchovy but I'm usually higher on my hook ups with my Herring set ups over Anchovy but they are pretty close. Some times one will outwork the other.

I've been buying Herring from these sales and using them for bait since the late 80's when they used to do the fund raisers over in North Van. I also make up batches of Roll Mops with them and I use the guts, heads and back bones from them for crab and prawn bait. These were also the go to bait of my father in law always, as well as his crew of fishermen he grew up with fishing out of Point Roberts. They do have less scales on them than store bought bait herring but I have never seen that matter much if you are using them in teaser heads and/or adding brine colors to them anyways to add attracting qualities to them. I use them whole, cut plugging, and for strips. Even with less scales for that it doesn't seem to matter much. I run them mostly with flashers due to that fact but when the fish are in big numbers and biting aggressively none of that really matters too much anyways. Strips can out fish whole or cut plug at times too. You can run strips with or without teaser heads. If you brine them up stiff enough you don't even need a teaser on them for strips.
I buy lot's every year, cure them up and vacuum pack them for use through the year.
So you want to show us your strip methods? Drawings, diagrams, video etc. Please?

So you want to show us your strip methods? Drawings, diagrams, video etc. Please?
For the strips you can either cut 2 or 4 strips off each herring depending on the size of the Herring and whether you want to imitate small bait or bigger bait. If you cut 4 each small strip will be replicating small bait fish like small Herring, Anchovy, or Needle Fish..
Cut the strips just like you were cutting a fillet off of a salmon. You want a nice even taper to the tail end where it is much narrower than the head end. At the wide head end of the strip cut that in a 45 degree angle like you would with a plug (except plugs have two cuts, one with a bevel). Brine the strips in whatever recipe you use to toughen up the bait very well. You want it to get a rubbery tough texture to it. While you are brining to toughen them up you can also add scents and colors to the brine to test out different recipes to see what works best.
For hook set ups that's gonna be what you like best but for strips it depends for me the size I'm using. For very small strips I will just run one single hook a bit behind the tail end about an inch behind. Too close to the body of the strip you may find the line/hook fouling up your strip and it's roll. If I'm using large strip I will run two singles at times or a smaller treble up top and the trailer single behind. If I run two hooks the upper one will be right up tight to the teaser head. If I am running bare strip with no teaser then I only either run one or two singles depending on the strip size. But when they are bare without a teaser I never use a treble up top cause it will mess up the roll of the strip without a teaser on it. If running bare all you do with the top hook is just put it through the middle of the 45 degree about a quarter inch down from the top cut edge. If the strip has been brined well enough to toughen up the bait you should be able to run that strip for at least an hour before it will start to deteriorate in toughness. When they are in teasers they can last a very long time. My father in law never once used a teaser head with his strips and scoffed at me for using them. He was very old school and caught a lot of fish that way. I like to mix it up myself always running multiple rods to give the fish lot's to chose from.

For the strips you can either cut 2 or 4 strips off each herring depending on the size of the Herring and whether you want to imitate small bait or bigger bait. If you cut 4 each small strip will be replicating small bait fish like small Herring, Anchovy, or Needle Fish..
Cut the strips just like you were cutting a fillet off of a salmon. You want a nice even taper to the tail end where it is much narrower than the head end. At the wide head end of the strip cut that in a 45 degree angle like you would with a plug (except plugs have two cuts, one with a bevel). Brine the strips in whatever recipe you use to toughen up the bait very well. You want it to get a rubbery tough texture to it. While you are brining to toughen them up you can also add scents and colors to the brine to test out different recipes to see what works best.
For hook set ups that's gonna be what you like best but for strips it depends for me the size I'm using. For very small strips I will just run one single hook a bit behind the tail end about an inch behind. Too close to the body of the strip you may find the line/hook fouling up your strip and it's roll. If I'm using large strip I will run two singles at times or a smaller treble up top and the trailer single behind. If I run two hooks the upper one will be right up tight to the teaser head. If I am running bare strip with no teaser then I only either run one or two singles depending on the strip size. But when they are bare without a teaser I never use a treble up top cause it will mess up the roll of the strip without a teaser on it. If running bare all you do with the top hook is just put it through the middle of the 45 degree about a quarter inch down from the top cut edge. If the strip has been brined well enough to toughen up the bait you should be able to run that strip for at least an hour before it will start to deteriorate in toughness. When they are in teasers they can last a very long time. My father in law never once used a teaser head with his strips and scoffed at me for using them. He was very old school and caught a lot of fish that way. I like to mix it up myself always running multiple rods to give the fish lot's to chose from.
You’re the real MVP Chasin Dreams.... great info! Used your tips last year with great success.

When you state teaser, are you referring to running strips on herring teaser heads or on herring strip teaser heads? The herring strip teaser heads have a smaller cavity. I tried a few strips on the Rhys Davis herring strip teaser heads last year and found the roll to be off. Perhaps I was setting it up incorrectly. I wondered whether the strips would work on a herring or anchovy teaser head rather than the herring strip teaser head but never got a chance to try it.

You’re the real MVP Chasin Dreams.... great info! Used your tips last year with great success.
Great to hear Ron!

When you state teaser, are you referring to running strips on herring teaser heads or on herring strip teaser heads? The herring strip teaser heads have a smaller cavity. I tried a few strips on the Rhys Davis herring strip teaser heads last year and found the roll to be off. Perhaps I was setting it up incorrectly. I wondered whether the strips would work on a herring or anchovy teaser head rather than the herring strip teaser head but never got a chance to try it.
When I say teaser head when talking about the strips I mean the strip teaser heads. Yes the regular ones can be too big of a gap cavity where the strip will get destroyed cause it's not a tight fit.
But yes saying that, you are correct in your thought that some of the anchovy heads can work will with smaller strip sizes. I have done that and have had some good success with it. They thing is there is that you want to have those heads on hand with you, next to you when you are cutting your strip you plan on using in those heads so you cut them the right size cause if you change up while fishing it's nice to have everything correct pre cut the right size ahead of time or else you'll be spending time on your boat cutting the already pre cut strips to try to fit them in new head sizes. I'm an OCD guy so I usually have multiple sizes of strips with me as well as anchovy, whole herring in different sizes and lot's of different colors and sizes of teaser heads. Water clarity can often dictate what bait size and teaser head type/color I end up using too.
If the roll doesn't look good to you in a teaser head carry a heat gun or lighter, torch etc with you on your boat. Myself I will change the fin bend on teaser heads a lot. More bend= faster/tighter roll, less bend a slower/wider roll. If you play around with that you may find a specific head with a specific bend that you like the best. The larger the Herring is (especially whole Herring) the trickier it can be at times to get the perfect roll due to the size/weight of the bait in the teaser.

Thanks for taking the time to provide this great insight!

Great to hear Ron!

When I say teaser head when talking about the strips I mean the strip teaser heads. Yes the regular ones can be too big of a gap cavity where the strip will get destroyed cause it's not a tight fit.
But yes saying that, you are correct in your thought that some of the anchovy heads can work will with smaller strip sizes. I have done that and have had some good success with it. They thing is there is that you want to have those heads on hand with you, next to you when you are cutting your strip you plan on using in those heads so you cut them the right size cause if you change up while fishing it's nice to have everything correct pre cut the right size ahead of time or else you'll be spending time on your boat cutting the already pre cut strips to try to fit them in new head sizes. I'm an OCD guy so I usually have multiple sizes of strips with me as well as anchovy, whole herring in different sizes and lot's of different colors and sizes of teaser heads. Water clarity can often dictate what bait size and teaser head type/color I end up using too.
If the roll doesn't look good to you in a teaser head carry a heat gun or lighter, torch etc with you on your boat. Myself I will change the fin bend on teaser heads a lot. More bend= faster/tighter roll, less bend a slower/wider roll. If you play around with that you may find a specific head with a specific bend that you like the best. The larger the Herring is (especially whole Herring) the trickier it can be at times to get the perfect roll due to the size/weight of the bait in the teaser.

Back