HERRING SALE Fishermen Helping Kids with Cancer

2xeagle16

The annual herring sale is Saturday November 29 at 27 Erie Street - $20.00 for 20 pounds or $15.00 for 10 pounds

Has anyone had success putting these on trays and vacu sealing for cutplug / teaser head salmon bait? Or are most guys using them for hali / crab etc...

I had FAS vac pack a bunch for me last year and we didn't catch anything on them... not even halibut... they wouldn't touch the things... very very very few scales left by the time I got them... almost zero.

By the end of the season, my friend was buying RD herring from the store and wouldn't even use these charity herring that I was bringing.

That being said, I will probably buy more to support the cause... maybe use in the crab pots.

The hali's loved mine from last year. Too much scale loss for cut plugs imo. Also great for prawns and crab.

But it's worth noting that I fed some to my cat raw and she got sick after. :confused:

The hali's loved mine from last year. Too much scale loss for cut plugs imo. Also great for prawns and crab.

But it's worth noting that I fed some to my cat raw and she got sick after. :confused:

Maybe I need a lesson on hali fishing with herring :p

We have caught Hali on them and also large Chinook not as cut plugs but whole in the very large Rhys. Davis teaser heads. Sorted out the smaller ones with the most retained scales and flatter bellies for salmon. All were vacuumed packed flat but not in trays. The ones for Hali still worked well in the second year and are still using them but they are not that effective for salmon once past the first year in the freezer. They would work for big Ling also. After two years vacuum packed in the Freezer I would say crab bait.

Last edited by a moderator:
Herring Sale

The annual herring sale is Saturday November 29 at 27 Erie Street - $20.00 for 20 pounds or $15.00 for 10 pounds

The herring sale is at two locations - the Erie Street address is for the sale in Victoria. The sale in the Lower Mainland is in Steveston (same day) at the foot of Trites Road at the Steveston Seafood Auction. The Steveston price is $10 for $20 pounds - lower because the herring is landed at the auction. Every penny from the sale goes to kids with cancer because the fishing industry donates the licence, boat, fuel, etc. See you there.

Thanks for the heads up guys went with a buddy last year loaded up on herring, gladly donate to a good cause ... works great for crabs mixed with salmon .

Last edited by a moderator:
Is there a start time? Gonna head down pretty early I think
Sorry website says 8am start

I would eat them. Fried up in the pan with some butter and lemon. They are delicious. What a waste using them for crab bait. That's what salmon entrails are for.

Back