Herring Anyone?

Klob

Well its that time of the year again. I thought I would try a thread on the annual Commercial Herring Fishery. And although I can empasize with those few who rely on this every year to make enough money to put food on the table, I cant help but think this does far more damage than good. With the economy of Japan once again in the tank, it will be hard to hide behind the "Roe Fishery", as the price of Roe must also be in the tank. So that leads me to believe this is nothing more of food fishery for the many foreign Salmon farms along the coast. Maybe I'm wrong. What I do know is that there is a wealth of knowledge on this site an would like to hear what others have to say. So what says you: Good or Bad????????

I say bad, very bad! Do you know why the Japanese pay so much for our herring? Because they wiped their herring out by over fishing years ago so now they greedily look to us to meet their unsustainable demand for seafood of all kinds.

DFO has allowed over fishing of herring for years on the east coast of the island (just ask any long time east coast commerical fisherman). Ever wonder why the fishing on the east coast of the island has sucked for the last while? It's no real mystery! There simply is not enough feed for the salmon.

My father-in-law has been a stream keeper for over 15 years and has helped restore many salmon streams in the CR area. He is about to give up in frustration as all the work to restore the streams and runs is wasted when the fry go into the salt chuck because there is not enough food for them to stay alive! The amount of biomass produced by herring spawn is incredible and not surprising it coincides with the time the fry leave the streams.

DFO once again has sold out to the big money, corporate interests and doesn't really give a damn about protecting and enhancing our salmon (just look at what is currenly happening with our recreational halibut). In my opinion they are doing exactly what they did on the east coast with the cod. They are slowly mismanaging the salmon fisheries into the ground. When our salmon are mostly gone they will shrug their shoulders and say they couldn't do anything about it as it was all climate change's fault or some other equally lame excuse.

If we want abundant, healty wild salmon in BC for future generations we the people who give a damn will have to take more action! That's my 2 bits and rant for the day!:(

Long live wild salmon!!!
lowrance.jpg

Back