Here's what happened to Wa.

the runt

I used to fish an area from Blaine,Wa to Tumbo,Saturna area B.C.Also from orcas to point roberts for Coho.This run started July 1st to Sept.You could catch and release as many as you wanted.When Vancouver hosted the Expo. The Canadian government released a million more off saturna.They did it to boost tourism,good idea right.Except one small problem!They released the wa. Gillnetters two weeks earlier.They were everyware, That was on a Fri.By Sun. it was over.They had wiped out the run,Sat i caught one and that was a good day after that.The bottom was ruined. Eel grass floating everyware.Off cherry point, was a huge Herring spawing grounds, There count now at about 25% of original.I never caught one black mouth this year about five or six trips to local waters I,m going to go to poiler pass about 30 miles 1 way But i'll probably catch a fish.You folks have a right to be worried about closures.You need to scream at the people who can help, before it's to late.Charter boat captains.This is your livelyhood.We have one left in blaine.jims charter.This winter it happened again.The Indians had a slaughter on the straight of juan de fuca off seiku area.Now they closed the spring run in the columbia river,It's actually the willamette run that didn't show.One thing though, the Indians did tell the feds they will take care of the seal problem wether they like it or not.Wonder how this will end.

thanks the runt

It’s too bad that seals are protected and liked by all those animal lovers, there definitely needs to be some kind of population control. They eat a phenomenal amount of salmon per day, especially when they stay at the mouths of the rivers picking off steelhead and other salmon stocks. If you take a look out of the Nanaimo area people are complaining that seals are swimming ten feet from them the entire time trolling. Maybe those natives will swing through the entire Straight of Georgia. HA!
Someone has taken it into there own hands, when a seal was reported to be swimming that had been shot there was a reward for information leading to shooter. Apparently some guy makes his part of his living taking tourist to swim with the seals off some of the island in the summer time.
Can’t yell at DFO to help, the Liberals are cutting D.F.O.’s budget every year. Pretty soon they won’t be able to gas there boats up.
It sucks to hear crap like that.
I could chat for hours on this subject, but I won’t just hope they increase budgets to hatchery’s to help stop closers from happening. As for the First Nations I can’t point the finger at one group, even though they can cause serious damage. There needs to be some numbers in place for them, just like everyone else.

Bigchrome
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

It’s too bad that seals are protected and liked by all those animal lovers, there definitely needs to be some kind of population control. They eat a phenomenal amount of salmon per day, especially when they stay at the mouths of the rivers picking off steelhead and other salmon stocks. If you take a look out of the Nanaimo area people are complaining that seals are swimming ten feet from them the entire time trolling. Maybe those natives will swing through the entire Straight of Georgia. HA!
Someone has taken it into there own hands, when a seal was reported to be swimming that had been shot there was a reward for information leading to shooter. Apparently some guy makes his part of his living taking tourist to swim with the seals off some of the island in the summer time.
Can’t yell at DFO to help, the Liberals are cutting D.F.O.’s budget every year. Pretty soon they won’t be able to gas there boats up.
It sucks to hear crap like that.
I could chat for hours on this subject, but I won’t just hope they increase budgets to hatchery’s to help stop closers from happening. As for the First Nations I can’t point the finger at one group, even though they can cause serious damage. There needs to be some numbers in place for them, just like everyone else.

Bigchrome
There's a fine line between fishing and just standing on the shore like an idiot.

Back