Here's the best news I have heard in a while...the Godzilla of all El Nino's is dead

gamechanger

Thank God, this record breaker is officially on it's way out according to NOAA and some of the other climate scientists. Seeking shelter from the sun in April on Vancouver Island is not normal, watching your grass go brown by May in Victoria is not normal, so this will be a change welcomed by many, especially the fish. It's going to be a slow change because this sucker had the ocean 3 degrees warmer than average, but the pendulum is swinging back in the other direction now and likely headed into La Nina types of conditions...

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/capital-weather-gang/wp/2016/04/11/godzilla-el-nino-is-dead/

Other posts too through NOAA, worth a Google.

any idea how this might affect the tuna fishing in BC?

It can only be great news for fish. There are already reports of pilchards in Barkley Sound and off shore. We generally see improved ocean survival when the ocean conditions swing towards cooler water. Thanks for sharing this is truly great news.

Good news that it's breaking down, but this summer will be another one of low river levels, this warm spring has melted a largish snowpack very very quickly. That will affect many salmon runs.

It will not effect the tuna fishing one bit so it's a win win with the exception of the windy spring season due to the cooler waters.

If anything we should have so better size and more fish because there a good chance they wont wonder as far as the charlotte's

Ya you might just have to wait until August to catch them instead of June...Juna not good for salmon
I never did get a Juna. That was probably my best chance. It seemed that if the blob was not connected to the south there were no tuna's in it. Oh well. For the best.

Back