Help with Yamaha tiller arm repair

I have a 2002 Yamaha kicker and I noticed the tiller arm was loose. Well turns out it can come out completely from ththe joint and is just be held by the wires. Looks like the threaded piece that is attached to the arm corroded and broke at the joint.

Any idea on how to remove the broken piece that is attached to the arm, repair and screw back on?

Not sure if this helps you. Had to replace the throttle linkage once, only way to get that nut off that holds the arm is to cut it off with a dremel (yami mech tip).

The Model number you provided indicates that you actually have a 1998 T9.9. Go to Boats.net, navigate to Yamaha T9.9EXHW, and click on the “Steering (EH MH)” tab.

On the diagram that comes up, find the part that’s broken on your kicker, and on the parts list, click on the part number.

On the page that comes up, the “Related Fitment” list gives you all the motors that part was used on, which give you a pretty large selection of donor motors to salvage that part from. ...or, you can head off to the Yamaha Dealer with that part number and order it.

That diagram also show how the part is attached, and should help get things disassembled/reasssembled.

I had the exact same problem on my old boat. I had to replace whole tiller arm and cables.

Back