Help with choosing my halibut gear...

Waterwolf2230

Hey guys,

I'm heading out in early may to Nootka Sound to target Halibut and Ling in early May. I am going to bring with two setups. I'm strictly a Shimano guy, alway have been and always will be! I think from what I've heard is that the halibut in that area are usually 25-50lbs (although they get much bigger for sure).

#1 - Shimano Game Type J paired with Shimano Trinidad 16NA and 40lb Depth Hunter. This setup is to fish my Shimaon Butterfly and Flat Side Jigs. My ultimate goal is to catch a hali on this setup with no spreader bar etc holding it back!

I need help deciding on my #2 setup which will be for fishing with spreader bars and 1-2lb weights. This is what I've been thinking. I'm most confused on which rod to use...I don't think I can go wrong with either reel...

Rods
Shimano Trevala F Casting - TFC58H - Heavy - 270 - 325g
Shimano Trevala F Casting - TFC58XXH - Heavy - 120 - 325g

Reels
Lever Drag - Shimano Talica TAC12 - Holds 355 yards of 80lb - Max 40lbs Drag - Ratio 5.7:1 - 23.1oz - 6 Ball Bearings

Star Drag - Shimano Trinidad TN20A - Hold 310 yards of 80lb - Max 25lbs Drag - Ratio 6.2:1 - 19.8oz - 8 Ball Bearings

Thinking about putting on 100lb Maxcuatro which has 75lb diameter.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Curtis

You only need that gear if you are going to anchor up.
Otherwise, just troll near bottom.
All of these were trolled up at 6 mile mainly.

Attachments

• Best of 2016.jpg
    Best of 2016.jpg
    366 KB · Views: 202
What derby said.
I use the medium heavy trevela and it's got plenty of back bone

I would definitely go for the Lever-drag. It's so easy to adjust the drag exactly where you want it, and come back to it each time. You can let them down without having to worry about a bird nest and have the drag position saved. Just my $0.02

I would not do 100# braid. I would use 65 or so. When you hang up, you have to wrap it around a cleat to break off. Also when anchored, you have a hell of a time breaking free. i know from experience

Yes that's s great combo and I agree with Civano about the line

I use 65 and 80 tuffline, don't need anymore that that. Landed several over 150 on that setup

I think the Talica Tac 12 would suck as a halibut reel. The 5:7 gear ratio with 40 inches per crank is a yo-yo or live bait reel. look for a something closer to 4:0 gear ratio like the TLD 20 2 speed.

Ya sorry, I am going to get the 2 speed version, sorry I didn't clarify that. Its 4.1:1 and 6.2:1. We are in the process of planning a trip to Ascension Island in 2019 and that reel should work well with the large tuna there as well.

Ya sorry, I am going to get the 2 speed version, sorry I didn't clarify that. Its 4.1:1 and 6.2:1. We are in the process of planning a trip to Ascension Island in 2019 and that reel should work well with the large tuna there as well.
The 2 speed is very versatile. Great choice

I have Trevala TVC-66H rods. Talica TAC20II reel and use 65lb braid. Didn't realize how much I would like the 2 speed reel. Love the combo. 65lb is still hard to break off, all you really need.

I use this technique;

246_209-7kgloftennorwayhalibutwtmk.jpg

I have Trevala TVC-66H rods. Talica TAC20II reel and use 65lb braid. Didn't realize how much I would like the 2 speed reel. Love the combo. 65lb is still hard to break off, all you really need.
Don't you find that the TAC20 is a bit large? Seems to me like it would be a chore to fish with.

I think the Talica Tac 12 would suck as a halibut reel. The 5:7 gear ratio with 40 inches per crank is a yo-yo or live bait reel. look for a something closer to 4:0 gear ratio like the TLD 20 2 speed.

I run the 16II and the 12II...work great for me...both hali and tuna :)

I run the 16II and the 12II...work great for me...both hali and tuna :)
Anyone run the 10 or even the 8? I do very little deep halibut fishing but am starting to think about gearing up for tuna. I have two of the penn squall setups (20 and 30) and they're kinda whatever. The wife hates the side to side wobble so has to wear a belt. I'd 90% of the time be using these for fishing lingers in under 100'. Also wouldn't mind less of a pool cue, little smaller grip to cast swim baits.

Get your wife a roberts wrap or also called acid wrapped rod. All but the first guides are on the bottom of the rod like a mooching rod. It makes the rod stable and eliminates the rod twist. A little female partner fishes with me occasionally and it changed everything for her for the better.
https://www.onthewater.com/rod-design-fishing

Get your wife a roberts wrap or also called acid wrapped rod. All but the first guides are on the bottom of the rod like a mooching rod. It makes the rod stable and eliminates the rod twist. A little female partner fishes with me occasionally and it changed everything for her for the better.
https://www.onthewater.com/rod-design-fishing
Oh wow good to know thanks!

You can take a rod she likes to a rod builder and they can remove and turn the guides and tip top. Easy and should be inexpensive.

Back