Help finding resident herring for research

Bugs

Hi All,

I am involved in a project investigating factors influencing whether Herring are resident in the Strait of Georgia as adults or migrate to the outer coast. As part of this project we need to find aggregations of resident herring (Defined as adult - 15 cm or greater - herring which are within the Strait of Georgia between June and September) for collection by jigging. I know a couple of locations where deep aggregations of mature herring can normally be found during the summer (particularly the CR Hump area), but I am looking for more suggestions (preferably in locations with lower current)... and any in-season reports of where folks are observing consistent bait on their sounders during the course of this summer. Thanks for your help!

Will

I'll certainly let you know if I come across any. Will you share any locations that you are aware of in the southern SOG? We jigged a bunch of herring during the spring spawn but would like a chance at a few more.

Last edited:
I have seen some decent schools of herring the last two mid August’s around the mouth of the Big Qualicum River. The size is smaller, probably right around 15cm, but I’m going from memory. I’ll be there again this year in the same area and could let you know what I see if you like?
Pm me your cell number if you like and I’ll be happy to text you if I see anything.

I always see a lot of bait around Five Finger and Hudson rocks in Nanaimo as well in the mid summer.

Large balls have been getting pushed up on the north end of gabriola reefs on the ebb recently , 50 - 60 feet thick on the sounder , 5 “- 8” herring

Any updates for the Northern Strait from the last couple weeks. Heading out in next few days.

Shipping lanes in Juan de Fuca, august-sept. We,re talking miles and miles of bait fish and birds and humpbacks. You should hook up with whale watch community for info (although this year may be an anomaly). Pm me if you need a contact.

Back