helm problems

screaminreels

hopefully the vast knowledge on here can help. I have a 87 seafer and my helm when motor is cranked all the way over will keep spinning not to mention has trouble turning the motor from side to side when up on plane . Can it be rebuilt and any idea to brand i cant find any markings
thanks for any help in advance

Two things i know of would cause that. air in the system. Or you lock valves could have debris in them causing them to stay open a little, letting fluid bypass.

Two things i know of would cause that. air in the system. Or you lock valves could have debris in them causing them to stay open a little, letting fluid bypass.
Bang on. Try bleeding your lines first and see if that fixes it. Plenty of "How-to's" on youtube

Just finished dealing with the same problem, except my outboard would wander while driving. Thought it was the helm, bled the lines etc... And still same problem. I just about bought a new helm, but glad I didn't. Turned out to be the ram bypassing internally. No leaks or anything. Found a good deal on a new used ram and installed. All is perfect now.
According to seastar, if your outboard will move, but the helm does not turn while outboard is "wandering" then it's the ram not the helm. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

thanks for the help and input guys i have bleft the cap of the top of my forward helm with a hose on it running up to a bottle of fluid its getting better slowly the rear helm i use for fishing locks up tight from side to side wear as the front still feels like theirs a bit of slip going on. Perhaps a bit of air combined with seals starting to go i think

Back