Heading to Kauai in March

I am heading to Kauai in mid March and was wondering if anyone has done any beach fishing there. If so, where did you fish and what did you catch? What did you use for lures? May end taking a charter as well. Any recommendations? Any intel is much appreciated.

kiritimati or better known as Christmas island a short distance away is world class for bone fish as many people
make the Hawaiian islands a stopover
to this destination.

Spear fishing at shipwrecks beach is a bucket list adventure. My favorite island but don’t waste your money on a charter. If you just have to go I’d island hop to Kona and take my chances. I see locals fishing with surf casters right in Kapaa in I think it’s called Lenai beach near Kapaa sands resort.

Spear fishing at shipwrecks beach is a bucket list adventure. My favorite island but don’t waste your money on a charter. If you just have to go I’d island hop to Kona and take my chances. I see locals fishing with surf casters right in Kapaa in I think it’s called Lenai beach near Kapaa sands resort.

Completely agree....I have been about a half dozen times and did charters twice; never bothered again.

Where on the Island are you staying?

I have seen guys beach/rocks fishing in Poipu west of the Sheraton Hotel. Poipu is the leeward side of the Island and you may find any sort of rock outcroppings along there and give it a whirl. Poipu Beach Road.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/S...28967b130e287!8m2!3d21.8768183!4d-159.4620625

Also along the beaches in Kappa when the surf isn't pounding.

If not heavy winds you can always try along the north shore around Hanalei. There is a series of reefs that I always thought it would be kind of cool to stand out towards the edge of them around Wainiha Beach Park and cast into the deep water. That whole area from the west side of Hanalei Bay to the "end of the road" has promising looking spots with lots of beach and lots of big rock outcroppings.

Have a look at the shoreline along here from the sat imagery.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/H...477aa005c8ad5!8m2!3d22.2033221!4d-159.4977455

Feel free to drop a line....there are a few of us on here that have been to Kauai a number of times.

Last edited:
Been thinking about them since I replied this morning.

Easy on the battered shrimp, the Flyers may be calling you up for a run at the playoffs, you need to get in shape :) I agree don't waste your money on a charter, lots of places to beach fish, Shipwreck Beach, Sheraton, Spouting horn area. I miss not going there the last few years as the wifes terminal cancer makes her not insurable :(

Back