Headed to Kyuquot in Three Weeks

Damien

I've never fished the WCVI before, really excited. Despite a lot of doom and gloom these days, I'm really looking forward to this, it will probably be my 'once in a lifetime' trip.

Any tips, tricks, gotchas or other experiences anyone would like to share? Did I mention I'm excited?

Cheers.

Lots of great areas to fish. Kyuquot reef (first image) which is southwest of Lookout Island about 4 miles out should be good early. I would try trolling deep at the reef, good chance of lings and Hali on the troll as well. If the reef is quiet hit the 50 fathom line/highway. If rough offshore you can troll between Spring Island and Lookout....some dandy springs can be had in there. We generally fish outside the kelp following Spring from the north side and then right around to the south on the west side if that makes sense.

The “T” as noted in the second image below can be another good spot.

There are also a bunch of islands to the south and out in that 150+ area off them we have done decent for Hali.

Swim baits around structure for lings can also be great....just find structure south of Spring Island and have at er.

Lighter spinning rods with jigs around kelp beds and all the structure on the inside waters and islands can produce good numbers of my favourite eating....black rockies.

My absolute favourite place.....enjoy your trip!!:cool:

D676EF90-85E3-4753-A66D-2D1AC16ED002.png

28FEF4FE-30A4-4263-8551-671A181A2F64.png

Last edited:
bring gravol or patches. it can be friggin “ sporty “ lots of critters around though. have fun!

bring gravol or patches. it can be friggin “ sporty “ lots of critters around though. have fun!

Good point. If you can find Meclizine at your local pharmacy it is way bettter than patches or Gravol. It’s the only thing that works for a buddy who is a puker....have tried everything (patch, just Gravol, herbal remedies etc etc etc) but gravol before bed and Mec in the morning has finally been the combo that works.

Great info from Pippen. I like fishing hoochies up there down deep. Have fun. One of my favourite spots on the BC coast.

Wow, thanks Pippen! Tons of good stuff there.

Noted on the Mezclazine, I will try to track some down. Couldn't find any yesterday in a couple of spots, looks like it is cleared out and no longer available. I'm close enough to the 176 truck crossing with a Rite Aid pharmacy just over the border and they carry it. So I will pick some up.

Thanks re:hoochies.

I will be 'self guided' in a sort of way. Two friends and I will be hosted by a local. He is a guide that will be taking clients out in a lodge owned boat.

We will effectively follow him around and stay in contact via radar and VHF in his personal boat, fully outfitted 24' Aluminum with brand new power. So we should be in good hands. Hence my excitement.

I like the idea of some light tackle spin casting for some delicious little treats. I would also enjoy throwing a fly rod out the back for a little bucktailing if that is offered up there. But with the new limits, we might not spend too much time doing that. I'd like to, even just C&R.

Last edited:
Was there fishing with Murphy's late last August. According to Dave, the needlefish population crashed & many of the bank spots were not producing such as the one in Pippen's first picture. We anchored-up for Halibut & while fishing was slow we got our fish & they were of good size by current standards. If you will be fishing bait in teaser heads there really is an art to getting the proper action on the bait. I would not expect to even begin getting this down on the first trip - in general too slow a roll is better that too fast a roll. I would bring (or make sure your buddy has) a good assortment of Hoochies including some "turd's" in brown/white. This stuff is great for Halibut/Lings pulled close to the bottom. Dave said that while the needlefish population was down, the squid population was up & your timing should be good for the squid spawn.

While fishing here is good, don't expect an "all-species tub-out" in one day.

Wow, thanks Pippen! Tons of good stuff there.

Noted on the Mezclazine, I will try to track some down. Couldn't find any yesterday in a couple of spots, looks like it is cleared out and no longer available. I'm close enough to the 176 truck crossing with a Rite Aid pharmacy just over the border and they carry it. So I will pick some up. .

Ya....you can get bottles of about 50 pills for about $8 US or so if memory served me correct; just ask the pharmacist for the generic version. The gravol at night helps get motion sickness drugs into your system and don't get the non-drowsy.....let it make you sleepy so you rest well, wake up and pop the Mez.

Thanks re:hoochies.

I will be 'self guided' in a sort of way. Two friends and I will be hosted by a local. He is a guide that will be taking clients out in a lodge owned boat.

We will effectively follow him around and stay in contact via radar and VHF in his personal boat, fully outfitted 24' Aluminum with brand new power. So we should be in good hands. Hence my excitement.

I like the idea of some light tackle spin casting for some delicious little treats. I would also enjoy throwing a fly rod out the back for a little bucktailing if that is offered up there. But with the new limits, we might not spend too much time doing that. I'd like to, even just C&R.

Who is the guide up there? Simply asking as I know a guy who is a resident of Kyuquot and guides as well.....I believe has an aluminum boat now too.

I have brought a fly rod up a few times with the intention of bucktailing.....just never got around to it. :confused::confused::rolleyes:

Have any posters here travelled to Walter's Cove from Gold River over the water? I'm not keen on towing my boat 70+ kms over a gravel road to Fair Harbour. I have a Kingfisher 2425 with a single 250hp and 9.9hp kicker and note that the open stretch of Pacific Ocean between Esperanza Inlet and McQuarrie Islets is about 6 nautical miles. I fish annually off Bajo Reef outside of Nootka Sound so I'm not a total amateur with that area. I typically fish Barkley Sound and head offshore when the winds and waves cooperate. Up to 15 knot winds is something I don't mind operating in. Anything over that is something I try to avoid.

I'd appreciate anyone with experience in travelling these waters offering some advice.

I should have mentioned that I've run from Gold River to Catala Island in Esperanza Inlet, so I know how to get that far...

Have any posters here travelled to Walter's Cove from Gold River over the water? I'm not keen on towing my boat 70+ kms over a gravel road to Fair Harbour. I have a Kingfisher 2425 with a single 250hp and 9.9hp kicker and note that the open stretch of Pacific Ocean between Esperanza Inlet and McQuarrie Islets is about 6 nautical miles. I fish annually off Bajo Reef outside of Nootka Sound so I'm not a total amateur with that area. I typically fish Barkley Sound and head offshore when the winds and waves cooperate. Up to 15 knot winds is something I don't mind operating in. Anything over that is something I try to avoid.

I'd appreciate anyone with experience in travelling these waters offering some advice.

It will depend on wind and tides.....once you are around Tatchu and Sandstone Pt you can tuck inside the Barrier Islands and run up. Worst case scenario you can round Rugged Point and head around Union Island but it can be lumpy in there depending on wind direction.

So, If the wind is less than 15 knots it isn't too menacing with crazy chop and huge standing waves?

It will have influence from tide and perhaps surge from earlier. You are in and amongst islands/reefs so waves can do some interesting things. In theory it shouldn’t be too bad....at less than 15 but rule. It’s done a lot just go to your comfort level.

I wanted also say thanks for the advice post here! Great info! I'm heading up a bit later than Damien. (July 31-aug 4). Unfortunately winds and currents may play a factor as ill be in a smaller craft. I mainly wanted to focus on salmon and lings. can any shed some insight on the changes that occur later as summer progresses.

Cheers!

I'd worry about fog much more than current/winds that time of year. As with all weather, you pretty much gotta show-up & see what conditions are. On WCVI the month following July is known as Fogust. Very poor choice of location in a boat & crew not equipped for offshore conditions as typically "inside waters" in area 25 have been closed to Chinook. I have spent a fair amount of time waiting-out weather on WCVI; sometimes the whole commercial fleet stays in.

I will report back mmmroe. I will be on the first ferry tomorrow morning from Tsawassen.

:D

So, If the wind is less than 15 knots it isn't too menacing with crazy chop and huge standing waves?
I’ve done both inside and outside from GR to Catala/Esperanza. I’d obviously take the inside any day, and even with the far greater distance, it’s probably less fuel. I’ve also been there one year where it was never less than 25KNTS and that’s tough to be out in, but not impossible. The guides are out with guests that are up to it, but no one is enjoying it. The problem for me is that I’m coming from the protected waters of Vancouver, but by the end of the trip I’m more used to the WCVI and can take more of it.

Back