Hats off to Volvo

Blackmax

This will be year 11 that I have owned my Striper 2101 and knock on wood the 4.3 GXI motor has been fantastic. The only thing to have failed was the alternator last year, other than that its been only oil and filter, spark plugs ,rotor and cap. I am pretty anal about flushing and after taking apart manifolds 2 years ago they looked brand new inside. The motor pushes the boat 30 mph cruise and 47mph on gps. The SX1 leg has also been mint without any leaks and the boots look new, lots to be said about a trailered boat. I can do a Thrasher run from McDonald Beach return for about $120.00 including trolling with Yammie T-8 for 2 days, I never have used the main motor for trolling.

Looks like you keep reel good care of it. Very nice and clean. I have almost the exact same setup but with Mercuiser. Trailered too. A Campion 602 and Mercuiser 4.3 MPI. It's a 2004 so 11 years as well. Have only done oil changes and the water pump impeller once.
Great fuel economy and runs beautifully. Lacks a little on pickup but will cruise all day at 32mph. Have a Yamaha T8 as well. I think has a lot to do with the V6 block. Great platform for both Volvo and Mercruiser.
Sadly I will have it up for sale shortly as I up graded to a 2700 Sea Sport. Has been an awesome fishing package though.
PS I like clean boats and engines!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 312
Great looking bilges in both boats. Mine were never that clean. :(

I notice the Campion has a gelcoated bilge while mine is laid up glass that has a lok to crevices etc. makes it tough to get spotless lol. I hear so much about outboards but bang for buck and ease of maintenance I'll put it up against one anytime.:p

The Campion has an inner liner that gives it extra strength and yes the bilge is gelcoated which makes it much easier to clean. The Sea sport is just laminated glass like yours and is much harder to keep clean.
An outboard would be nice for the extra interior space and no engine hump but I have been really happy with the stern drive. And like you said easy to maintain and get parts. Great fuel milage too. About 4.5gph at 30 mph.
By the way have always liked Stripers! Great lines on them.

Steam clean or toothbrushes?
How the heck do you guys keep them so clean?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hats Off to Volvo and Mercruiser???? How about hats off to both you gents for the cleanliness of your engines? 11 years old and still show room clean. Very impressive gents.

Hi Sir Reel, just wondering what the small tire pump is for on your Mercruiser?
The pump is to pressurize the cooling system and when you open the drain plug the air forces all the water out. Being a closed cooling system you can actually drain the seawater out out while the boat is in the water.
Pump attaches where the green and grey hoses are just to the right of the pump.
Works very well. Can drain the engine in a couple of minutes.

Steam clean or toothbrushes?
How the heck do you guys keep them so clean?
Thanks for the compliments!
I think I am OCD. LOL. But I like mechanical things clean. I always think they run better and if clean makes them much easier to work on.
Secret is to just keep on top of it. Freshwater washer down after ever trip. Have Gunked them once or twice too. Plus I waxed the bilge so dirt does not stick as well and I use an oil absorbent pad.
If I see a bit of rust I paint over it right away. I am lucky as I trailer the boat and a lot of its life is in freshwater. I am sure it would be much harder to keep clean if the boat was down the coast or left in the water.

Back to the Volvo thread here is the Volvo diesel in my Sea Sport I purchased last year. 1996 with 1000 hours on it so in pretty good shape. Painted the engine Volvo green and painted the bilge with white Interlux Bilge paint. Some new hoses and belts. Picture shows it winterized so that's why the seawater pump is open.

Attachments

• IMG_1801 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1801 (Medium).jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_1802 (Medium).jpg
    IMG_1802 (Medium).jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 90
Back