Has everyone had enough of kicking the crap out of each other?

Sculpin

Pretty quiet around here. Is everyone waving the white flag? Kind of nice actually :).

I see lot's of folks asking about the SFAC and SFAB process which is good to see.

This split that some poster's put up about guides and lodges being some kind of fictional self entity is total garbage IMHO. Step back and look at where you will be fighting for your rights alone. I have done it. I am just a joe blow fisherman with a boat. I appreciate the efforts of the SFI, the BCWF, and many others that represent the sports fisher person of this great Province of ours. If you think anything will get better by having another category to the already complicated regulations than you are dreaming. You are going to go down a very dark and lonely road with absolutely nothing to gain and even more to lose. We have to stick together folks period. Recognition in numbers. Recreational fishing is what it is. If I didn't own a boat, I would be hiring guides to take me out to catch my fish. The vast majority of the people that actually think a commercial guiding sector is feasible are boat owners. Get the boat ownership out of your head and look at the big picture.

There is hope for common ground in all sorts of areas. Just an observation is all.

Cheers,
John

Last edited by a moderator:
I am with you on that. :)

I fully agree that the guests are and should be considered recreational fishers. I do think the guides that are taking them out are not really acting as recreational fishers AT THAT TIME. Of course I know guides are recreational anglers at heart, but while working, not so much. All I really think is that while guides are working, they should not be able to retain fish on their own recreational license. Seems fair to me.

I'm not uber passionate about this topic, but it might help silence the extreme sector segregation types.

i was just in hawaii and did some fishing... not really sure what to think about the way they have it set up..... guests do not buy liscences....and any fish caught by the boat can be sold at auction or the local supermarket.... in canada i dont know of any guides that sell their catch or guests catch either..

I stopped giving a ****.

The updates on the hatcheries, and current state of the fisheries is good info.

However, You are blind if you think the process is a democracy. If you think anyone that pulls the punches gives 2 ***** what you have to say, you are wrong. In the end (like anything) there are people behind scenes with fat pockets pulling the strings and the SFAC is a feel good process to create the illusion that Joe Angler actually has a say in anything.

Good post John. Thank you. Everything to be gained from working together, and much to be lost if we buy into the agenda advanced by those who would want to divide the recreational sector along those lines.

SFAB process is open to all, and an excellent way to have input, stay informed and perhaps on occasion actually make a difference. Very glad to see increasing interest.

The SFI is accomplishing a lot more than people might at first blush think. There is a tremendous amount of behind the scenes work that directly benefits all recreational fishers. So while the SFI represents one element of the recreational sector, I think on balance if you examine the accomplishments their work it is highly complementary (and at times intentionally coordinated) to the work performed by excellent recreational advocate groups such as the BCWF, BCFDF etc. How can we beat working together? United we stand, divided we fall.

Maybe to take the opposite view, lets examine what a world would look like if we actually followed the vision some have advanced here suggesting we split off the guides and lodges into a fully commercial fishery. Wonder what that would look like? We should think about a few possibilities....

What if we made the guide/lodge a fully commercial operation and licensed them the way we do the commercial fishing sector?

What might happen if the commercial fishing industry and guide/lodge operators teamed up to take ITQ quota away from the recreational sector?

How much money could the commercial fishing sector pool with the help of guides and lodges to hire professional lobbyists?

Could the recreational sector without the guide/lodge group match those resources, attend those meetings, help influence things that benefit recreational fishing if they go it alone?

If the recreational sector lost a lot of the highly talented volunteers who come from the guide/lodge group, how would we replace that talent?

I personally think a recreational sport fish world divided would look not very pretty. Dumb idea IMHO, so I fully agree with John's post. Well said!

Why man? Why do you have to go there?

Do you really want to have this argument? Things were going so well....

If that kind of post doesn't make a rec anglers blood boil i don't know what will!

I stopped giving a ****.

The updates on the hatcheries, and current state of the fisheries is good info.

However, You are blind if you think the process is a democracy. If you think anyone that pulls the punches gives 2 ***** what you have to say, you are wrong. In the end (like anything) there are people behind scenes with fat pockets pulling the strings and the SFAC is a feel good process to create the illusion that Joe Angler actually has a say in anything.

X2................

Good post sculpin and Searun.... We should all be very grateful of the thankless effort certain people contribute to rec angling in this province, both tidal and fresh water.

While I agree we should be thankful for the people working hard on our behalf, the sense of entitlement, and the idea of " you would he screwed with out us In Searuns post is nauseating. I only wish I had the time and care to challenge all of those questions he posted in a practical manner.

While I agree we should be thankful for the people working hard on our behalf, the sense of entitlement, and the idea of " you would he screwed with out us In Searuns post is nauseating. I only wish I had the time and care to challenge all of those questions he posted in a practical manner.

skip your nap and write it out...

What’s your opinions on gun control and grizzly hunting J Sorry<o:p></o:p>
Last winter made for some very interesting reading.<o:p></o:p>
<o:p> </o:p>
Good Post Sculpin<o:p></o:p>

I will first say, that I have many guide friends. Some own lodges, but most are just guides, making a living, working hard, doing a job they love (most of the time). They are salt of the earth, fantastic people. I could be wrong but I don't think your hypothesis below is anything these guys want any part of, but I wont speak for them. The big shot lodges, maybe, the smaller guys? I don't think so. (hopefully they will speak up) I think some tend to forget that the only reason the guide and lodge business exists is because of Their ability to piggy back on the Recreational Catch including ITQ fisheries. If you take that away, well there wont be many of them left I don't think. So while you are almost trying to posture with the "you need us more then we need you" stance. I think the very opposite. And i'm good with that! The other part I think you are missing is The commercial industry HATES the guide industry. So good luck getting them on board.

Maybe to take the opposite view, lets examine what a world would look like if we actually followed the vision some have advanced here suggesting we split off the guides and lodges into a fully commercial fishery. Wonder what that would look like? We should think about a few possibilities....

What if we made the guide/lodge a fully commercial operation and licensed them the way we do the commercial fishing sector?

What if? well that would free up a lot of the 15% for the actual rec fishery for one. Come to think of it, if we removed you guys from the equation we could probably get by with 5% and have full season of 2/3 of halibut, kill wild coho, and a whole multitude of benefits. If you think this would be a good thing for guides and lodges please fill me in. I don't think most of the current operations could afford the licensing. And while we are going down that road, let make sure they get all the great benefits of being a commercial operator. One board observers, on board cameras, mandatory checks at port for every trip, purchase of by catch quota, mandatory log books, etc etc and of course the cost that is associated with all of that. This would also eliminate any cash jobs, as every trip would have to be tracked.

What might happen if the commercial fishing industry and guide/lodge operators teamed up to take ITQ quota away from the recreational sector?

with what money? other then the big shots in the industry, joe blow guide cant afford quota. Your idea would be to have guides buy up rock fish quota? halibut quota? Salmon etc? I know salmon is not itq, but you are now commercial so you gotta pay to catch those to! It is to much to pass on to the consumer in the price of a trip, and just eating the cost is not feesible I don't think

Could the recreational sector without the guide/lodge group match those resources, attend those meetings, help influence things that benefit recreational fishing if they go it alone?

With the right leader, not only could they match the resources, they would bury the industry. I am sure there is a fair bit of money in the industry and some smart folks, But I would venture to say there is ALOT more money and the resources to match in the pockets of some of the guys paying to be on those boats. I am not sure that is a bear you should poke. Think about all of the successful people that pay to go fishing and the money and people behind them. You really want to go up against that?

If the recreational sector lost a lot of the highly talented volunteers who come from the guide/lodge group, how would we replace that talent?
See answer above

I personally think a recreational sport fish world divided would look not very pretty. Dumb idea IMHO, so I fully agree with John's post. Well said!

I don't think splitting the sector would look pretty either. For either group. We have to work together, but get off the soap box.

What’s your opinions on gun control and grizzly hunting J Sorry<o:p></o>
Last winter made for some very interesting reading.<o:p></o>
<o:p></o>
Good Post Sculpin<o:p></o>

I think we need to establish a long gun control act and make sure all of these arms are registered.
I think we need to put a slot limit on Grizzly's , one over 165cm per day, 2 in possession . :p:D

Would love to see a catch and release grizz hunt. :)

Back