hardtop, softtop or cc for fishing solo

tubber

I enjoy fishing alone but need a bigger boat(18-21 ft). Mostly summer fishing.
What are the pitfalls of each for general use plus steering while playing fish alone in a crowd. Any significant difference at the launch ramp?
Thanks

IMHO A hardtop is great for when it's Cold and rainy, a softtop can be taken down so you can have it opened right up which is great for nice warm sunny days. If you plan on sleeping in the boat overnight a CC is the way to go, if you are not going to sleep on it then there's no point wasting the deck space, (other than a private ****ter). A center console open boat like a Boston Whaler or Metal boat gives you a 360 degree advantage when fighting a fish. You can pass the rod easily from one side to the other without anything getting in your way. If the fish is in front of the boat for some reason and you still have to wind up your downrigger you can do it without much problem. Basicly speaking the more protection you have from the elemnts the less fishing room you have in a 18-21 footer. It's all up to what you want, comfort or open space for fishing.

Take only what you need.

I fish alone most of the time, at least 50 days a year. Until recently I fished in a 16 foot Double Eagle. It came with a hard top which I ripped off after two months because I wanted greater visibility and less cramped quarters. Downside was that my electronics got wet frequently especially in the winter.

I recently acquired a 19 foot Glasply hard top which will soon be in the water. It will keep my electonics dry for sure which is good. Headroom is much better than the hard top DE but still not perfect. Warmth in the winter time will be great with the cabin and a small space heater.

Steering while playing a fish is an important factor to be considered. Since my new boat has an Alaskan bulkhead, in due course I will be installing a second wheel near the stern which will make steering very simple when I am playing fish alone.

Good luck with your purchase.

I've always thought the same thing looking those small hardtops like double eagles and hourstons. The hard tops look like you'd have to be bent over at the waist to get in there.

Jimbob are you happy with the Glasply. Inboard or outboard? I've seen a decent amount of good looking 19 footers in Washington. Do you think you'll leave the hardtop on?

Tubber, I'd go with a stand up canopy, so you can get out of the weather, but still have good visibility and view of the rods.

Highliner

www.salmonboats.ca

I had a Striper 1851 that had a black Sunbrella canvas top. It was tall enough to stand up and had a zipper door. On cold days, we'd close the flap, but not do up both zippers so we could still get at the rods but stay warm. The canvas actually stayed very warm inside -- fished all winter without a heater. Boat was small enough to launch and handle alone. For steering, I linked the kicker and main together but made sure the kicker had a tiller. That way, I could steer from both the kicker and the wheel when seated. Worked perfectly.

This is interesting topic.
Have been looking at hard top or sedan style glasply's for awhile.
Definitely some good deals around. Some to be very careful of to.
Been mostly looking at 19- 21' but recently came across a 23' that would work also. wonder how much of a difference there is in operating a 23' compared to a 19'. Didn't think about the steering while trolling with the sedan. Haven't had to many days really good weather so i think the shelter is important to me.
Mike

quote:Originally posted by Significant Other

This is interesting topic.
Have been looking at hard top or sedan style glasply's for awhile.
Definitely some good deals around. Some to be very careful of to.
Been mostly looking at 19- 21' but recently came across a 23' that would work also. wonder how much of a difference there is in operating a 23' compared to a 19'. Didn't think about the steering while trolling with the sedan. Haven't had to many days really good weather so i think the shelter is important to me.
Mike

Depends on the engine setup. I've got a 26' with a Bravo III outdrive that has the dual counter-rotating props and it is way easier to handle than my 19' was with a single prop. I think twin engines tend to handle a little better than single. When trolling, the wind tends to push a bigger boat around and the kicker can't correct it as quickly.

TenMile
<'((((><

quote:wonder how much of a difference there is in operating a 23' compared to a 19'.

I also worry about needing a new truck if I go beyond 20'. I only have a '96 2wd 5.0 liter F150 and I have the Connector and Coq to deal with. I'm still working the wife for the boat.

What size kicker on the 26'
I have a 9.9 hp
A friend has a 26 welded aluminum with a 25 hp kicker that come to think of it has to work pretty good in some winds.
I'm starting to lean more to the 19-21' size already.
Hardtop for me.(to get back on topic)
Maybe i should have gone to another topic.

Mike

Significant I have the 23(glasply) which I podded and put a tiny steering wheel right at the back which I tied into the hydrolics not that hard to do, being a bigger boat there is no problem steering it it tracks very easily If you want some info and are in vic send me off a pm as it is close by to look at.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

My dad had a 23 glasply with I/O. He hooked up a SS steering rod between the leg and the kicker. No problems. It's only one step away from the steering wheel wherever you are on the boat. I guess a glasply would get a little crowded with guests though. Wolf when you podded your glasply did you cover the old engine hatch and get more deckspace? Cause with my dad's, that was all that was really lacking, although I did enjoy playing fish while standing on top of the engine cover ;)

Take only what you need.

Thanks Wolf for the offer. I live in Abbotsford. Most of my salt fishing is out of Ucluelet. The 23' Glasply is a project boat. Just have to make up my mind just how much of a project i want.
Almost bald thinking about it. LOL

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Significant I have the 23(glasply) which I podded and put a tiny steering wheel right at the back which I tied into the hydrolics not that hard to do, being a bigger boat there is no problem steering it it tracks very easily If you want some info and are in vic send me off a pm as it is close by to look at.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Wolf:

Do I understand this correctly? You tied your kicker steering into the hydraulic steering of your main drive?

If that is correct, and you provide details as to how you did it? I had understood that you can not tie the two together like that. I hope to be proven wrong on this as I would like to be able to steer my kicker from the main cabin.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

Hi Sushi
Yes its not that hard do you have a tie bar inbetween the 2 motors??like this??? if you do its not that hard at all.
halibut2007040.jpg

Let me know and ill explain in more detail to you

FA yes I covered it so there is a ton of room in the back this is what it looked like wbefore i added the second sterring and painting of the wood and you can see where I plugged up the hole from the inboard
fishingJan282007005.jpg

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

quote:Originally posted by Sushihunter

quote:Originally posted by wolf

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Wolf:

Do I understand this correctly? You tied your kicker steering into the hydraulic steering of your main drive?

If that is correct, and you provide details as to how you did it? I had understood that you can not tie the two together like that. I hope to be proven wrong on this as I would like to be able to steer my kicker from the main cabin.

Jim's Fishing Charters
www.JimsFishing.com
http://ca.youtube.com/user/Sushihunter250

I've got my kicker tied together with twin's, it can be done!

Last Chance Fishing Adventures

www.lastchancefishingadventures.com
www.swiftsurebank.com

I like our soft top. It can be totally sealed up on the blustery days in Georgia Strait or folded down for the lake in summer. This shot is day one it was brought home. Now it's not as clean and has more "stuff" on it.

DSC00773.jpg

I have a removable steering link between my kicker and main. Had to make some custom bends to shorten it and go around a bolt, good think my picnic table had the perfect knot hole in it.[^]

Hey N49 that looks like an ACB Stabi-Craft. I didn't know you could get them with a soft top. Very nice boat!

Captain Dudds

Yup StabiCraft it is, they're available in soft top. We picked this one up in Bellingham when our dollar was good 2 yrs. ago.

Venture Riverboats in Chilliwack is a dealer for them too.

Back