Handling Fish

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stizzla

Crew Member
@wolf I’m not looking to make enemies here. I 100% agree releasing the water is the best technique.

My “lesson” on handling fish in the best way possible, wasn’t to educate you, it was to hopefully educate the people who don’t know how to.

As mentioned people can, if they chose to, legally pick a fish up. I’ve done it once. I don’t regret it.
If your client hooks a 45 pounder and the choice is bonk it or take a pic of it. I hope you choose the camera.
My fish from last week was the best I’ve caught in my years of trying my a$$ off, and I wanted to capture the moment. I was lucky enough to match it today and I left this one in the water.

Just using a reports thread to vent about a non report issue isn’t helping anything. Instead please report info such as depths, locations, lures etc. Otherwise it’s just a “LOOK AT ME” thread.

And finally , If you tell someone “with all due respect” please spell their name correctly.

Stizzla

Last edited:
So why do we even need to be able to retain fish if were are so worried about stocks that people cant even take a fish out of the water for a pick.

We really are great at conserving ourselves out of a fishery.

No boats out and we’re worried about a few fish pic from the few boats partaking.

If you don’t want to harm fish stay home like everyone else

This whole situation is just bs.

I know one thing, they got a heck of a lot better chance to survive if treated well than they do when we bonk them and throw them in the cooler.

Those fish aren’t that fragile, they go through hell for weeks getting up their rivers and streams, bumping off the rocks and limbs and sticks, a little battle on your line and being picked up gently for a quick pic is going to kill them,, bull **** all day long.

Just don’t be a bone head about it is all, do it quick and handle them as little as needed all will be fine.

That about sums it up without name calling and finger pointing. Well said

So why do we even need to be able to retain fish if were are so worried about stocks that people cant even take a fish out of the water for a pick..

I think you are missing the point.
A Chinook played to the point it can be picked up at the side of the boat and taken out of the water for enough time to take a photo means the survival rate is poor!
If your real intent is to ensure the Chinook survives you will release the fish without taking it out of the water and take your picture of the fish in the water as Wolf did.
Or, are you only interested in getting your photo and really don't care if the fish survives?
The bigger the Chinook the bigger the non survival rate.
Your will find most experience fishermen who really care know the difference.

The most experienced fisherman have killed 1000x more fish than me.
They have foul hooked more fish in the eyes than I’ve hooked period.

The most experienced fisherman have killed 1000x more fish than me.
They have foul hooked more fish in the eyes than I’ve hooked period.
I fail to understand what your post has to do with the survival rate of a Chinook taken out of the water for a photo compared to being properly release in the water?

I fail to understand what your post has to do with the survival rate of a Chinook taken out of the water for a photo compared to being properly release in the water?

Remember when fishermen in the jdf was pissed that they had a slot limit because they wanted to bonk big chinook?

Yeah thoes were the days lol

Now it’s the guy holding a fish for a pic that’s the problem.

These restrictions are just so stupid making people fight over crazy things.

Don’t you guys no that taking a picture with are fish is a tradition that goes back over 100 years.

It’s culturally and socially important to the heritage of our fishery. This important documentation had been passed around 100s of years.

My children’s children will look at them and learn the ways of their elders like the way I have.

Now the eco justice warrior comes to our social media and wants to take that right away from us.

And what’s that rate?
My point is there are hypocrites amongst us. You’ve NEVER, not once taken a pic of a fish out of the water and released it? Wolf hasn’t either?

The mortality of people holding one out of 100 fish they catch for a pic, using the method I described is so inconsequential they this isn’t worth my time or effort.
Let me put this in perspective...

I’ve installed hardwood flooring for 15 years Day in and day out. This would be like somebody accidentally ripping a leaf off of a tree while climbing it (for a picture), then me calling them out for all the harm they are doing to our forests.

If done properly like Stizzla described a salmon will have a good survival chance. Show me any evidence otherwise! And you don't need to play out a salmon until total exhaustion until you can tail land it. If you feel bad about doing it, fine, don't do it but don't pick on others who do it well. There are enough clowns out there who net a salmon in an old net, let it flop on the boat floor, step on the fish while ripping the hook out and grabbing the fish under the gill plate to throw it overboard 5 min after landing. Start there with your criticism and don't insist on DFO taking the last bit of fishing away from us that is currently left - c&r fishing. It can be done incl. the odd photo with no harm. Telling the world (wrongfully) otherwise will surely be our death kiss. PETA is just waiting to pounce (as they have already successfully done in some European countries) to have it legally forbidden to sport-fish, meaning hooking a fish for pleasure and not for cooking. Let's not go there! Let's hone our c&r skills and enjoy our hobby and share a few pictures of nice fish that got to live another day!

20EF0D0B-4666-468D-A795-F13E4A574165.jpeg
I know one thing, they got a heck of a lot better chance to survive if treated well than they do when we bonk them and throw them in the cooler.

Those fish aren’t that fragile, they go through hell for weeks getting up their rivers and streams, bumping off the rocks and limbs and sticks, a little battle on your line and being picked up gently for a quick pic is going to kill them,, bull **** all day long.

Just don’t be a bone head about it is all, do it quick and handle them as little as needed all will be fine.

I’m sorry i respectfully disagree.

These fish spend their entire lives from the moment they are alevins to the moment they run the gauntlet of “ceremonial” nets in the rivers during their last stages of life, trying to avoid being eaten or killed.

They are very good at staying alive.

But one misplaced hook in the gill rakers or any excessive bleeding and they are effectively doomed. This is an extra hurdle introduced by us. They ARE fragile. Bumping off rocks and sticks in the river as they spawn is the least of their concern....

@wolf is just trying to say ( in the sooke reports ) show them a bit of respect for their battle and give them a chance. need a hero shot just video them in the water beside the boat before you cut em loose.

@Stizzla per above, you liked his original post in the sooke reports thread and now all this... I kinda get your point; yah he’s prolly killed more fish than you and i combined but calling him a hypocrite is a bit much...

@RiverBoy I said to my original repose to that very same message you quoted that I gave him a like. It was LITERALLY the first thing I said! Please feel free to go back and have a peek. You can even circle it and post it here when you apologize to me.
I like the way he Passionately voiced his opinion. That doesn’t mean I agree with it. That is the definition of “All due respect.”

To be honest, I could do without the like button on this forum.

About the durability of these fish... Have you ever caught a salmon and noticed a scar covering about 1/3 it’s body from getting partially eaten by a seal? How about, have you ever caught one with rusty hook and 3’ of leader line sticking out of its face?
Seems those fish were still alive enough to eat your presentation.

I’m not calling him a hypocrite because he’s killed lots of fish. That also within his rights.
It’s because he has taken a picture of a fish out of the water and then put it back, “now all this.”
Someone who has seen him do so has pm’d me to tell me. That person shall remain unnamed.

If anyone wants to keep whining about the odd pic, please write DFO. It sounds like to some you, it’s the biggest issue on our waters.

I’m now done with this topic, It would sure be nice if we could stop bickering about BS like this and work together on the REAL problems

Last edited:
I think if it's done properly, no harm,no foul.
A couple weeks ago I watched a local guide boat haul a salmon by the leader over the side
of the boat and drop it to the floor. they then got a pic and threw it back over the side.
i was appalled.

So i take the bait, the fish sets the hook and watches me run around all crazy like, making huge runs till my legs and lungs can't take it anymore. When i am dead tired the fish grabs me by the legs and neck, pulls me out of the air and into the water. As he and his buddies are admiring me "wow look at the belly fat on this one, what a beauty" all the while i am trying to breath but can't, he tears a wee bit of skin off of me with his handling then back up for air i go. Yup i am all for hero pics!!

I am generally against the hero shot but I think it’s reasonable this year if people want to take a few pics with their fish. Most people will do it with a first few and then maybe a big one and that’s it.

An American guide comes up to our SFAC meeting. He told us down their you can’t take a fish out of the water but all the guides do it. Then they secretly pass around all the pictures of some pretty big fish. He bought it up beacise he’s pretty sure
Most of the hogs they catch and release are Harrison whites .

To be honest, I could do without the like button on this forum
I sometimes agree Stizz but what I would really like to see is a "Dislike Button"

. You can even circle it and post it here when you apologize to me.”

what am i apologizing for? Maybe i’m just old and don’t understand the politics of forums and social media. it just seems strange to me to mash the “like” button and then go on a rant to the guy about proper fish handling. Then you conveniently add after the fact you have info that someone pmd you...

“About the durability of these fish... Have you ever caught a salmon and noticed a scar covering about 1/3 it’s body from getting partially eaten by a seal? How about, have you ever caught one with rusty hook and 3’ of leader line sticking out of its face?
Seems those fish were still alive enough to eat your presentation.

I too volunteered at the Oyster River Enhancement Society. Yes i have seen mangled and severely injured fish return to spawn , which further adds to my reverence and respect for these fish. That somehow gives us the right to manhandle them?

i’m all for safe C+R practices and employ them all the time when targeting coho. I don’t even have a net on my boat right now. what’s the point?
Poking holes, then playing out to exhaustion a fish that i’m not allowed to keep seems barbaric to me.

Come july 15 i will be joining the hordes of bloodthirsty fishermen in staining my decks red. Until then i’m focussing my fishing efforts on bottomfish and other species i can keep; my wife even managed to catch a halibut.

The powers that be look at these threads as we bash each other (Rec vs Rec, Rec vs FN, Rec vs Com) and laugh, and laugh, and laugh, and laugh.

Doubt if anyone is actually laughing @ the seriousness, intensity and feelings we all have wrt maintaining stewardship over the fisheries resources for our kids and their kids - powers that be - or not. I am convinced however that this forum and others like it are an accurate representation of the issues that we debate - and how we debate. I'd like to thank the mods for all their never-ending hard work in keeping that debate civil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back