Halibut TAC

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by SerengetiGuide, Feb 7, 2020.

1. Jencourt

Jencourt Well-Known Member

I see I type slow. Derby got it answered while I was typing.

2. Derby

Derby Crew Member

hahahah... its my spelling & grammar you have to watch out for :) :)

Jencourt likes this.
  3. ziggy

ziggy Well-Known Member

Awesome seem like it’s only fair especially if they already do it for Commercial Fishers.

4. SerengetiGuide

SerengetiGuide Well-Known Member

At the SFI policy gala in november dfo seemed very reluctant to give us any underage carry over and I honestly can’t see it happening any time soon. Their quarrel was they can’t be sure the numbers for rec sector are accurate.

5. ziggy

ziggy Well-Known Member

Gee you’d think some of the office staff could work on a solution for their departments shortcomings lol

SerengetiGuide likes this.
  6. Jencourt

Jencourt Well-Known Member

Am I ahead of myself on this one Serengeti, Derby??? I had it in my head that it was basically done???

7. Derby

Derby Crew Member

I would say that the dept. seems resisted to allowing the carry over. The SFAB is working hard to change this that being said it is very import that one & all accurately fill out the IREC surveys , return all clip fish heads, comply with the creel surveys and that Guides do there log books..

8. SerengetiGuide

Yeah. No carry over when we are under.

all the more reason we have to be optimizing what we are given. Couple cm!! Let’s go!

fishinforever and Bod like this.
  9. Derby

Derby Crew Member

always a one track mind

10. SerengetiGuide

Always an optimize instead of leave a ton of pounds in the water. Yes. You’re right

ReelDreams and Bod like this.
  11. fishinforever

fishinforever Active Member

Sooo what needs to happen for us to get a couple more CMs and March 1 opening? Honest question. It seems like we should at least ask?

12. wildmanyeah

wildmanyeah Crew Member

I think you can probably count on a March 1 opening. The couple more CM is somewhat more complicated IMO.

SG will disagree tho lol

fishinforever and SerengetiGuide like this.
  13. ReelDreams

ReelDreams Member

We really should be asking for more, ultimately if you don’t ask for more or seem engaged you get less.

SG is right with our limited tonnage we should be using it. We have what 18%. We left multiple years tonnage in the water, great for reproduction but the allocation would not be there if those that manage it felt it wasn’t maintainable. Increase, use it and shut down early is better in my opinion. Just my 2 cents

Last edited: Feb 13, 2020
    fishinforever and halimark like this.
  14. Confused

Confused Member

I imagine we will know by tomorrow. And put this thread out of its misery.

I'm just glad it probably won't go down. A sad endightment of where we at as far as expectations. Taking one less gut punch as a positive.

15. SerengetiGuide

Mark my words. 70,000lbs + left in water if it’s the same

IronNoggin likes this.