Halibut TAC

SerengetiGuide

Essentially same as last year for region 2B, think maybe up a tiny amount but pretty darn close to same anyway as a whole TAC for our region, Canada.
Think we will be around 900,000 lbs for rec sector. Now regs debate....GO! Haha

Just roll over the regs from last year that had wide spread support and be done with it.

Great news

Just roll over the regs from last year that had wide spread support and be done with it.

Great news

I’ll disagree, SHOCKER! Ha ha ha. I do not want to type everything out on my phone but will say with lodges closing, calmest season ever, 70,000lbs left in water small tweaks in order to optimize what we are given should occur and it will not be too risky. It will not be the calmest season in 20 years again and fishing pressure will decrease with this now being the second year of salmon reg hurt. Anyway I support the hybrid model just strongly believe we need to be optimizing our TAC to its max potential, which we haven’t done the vast majority of the years

Last edited:
I doubt the weather argument although it may have merit will gain much traction nor will the impact of salmon regs because they are just too nebulous. Hard numbers that are from lodge closures may however support your argument.

I doubt the weather argument although it may have merit will gain much traction nor will the impact of salmon regs because they are just too nebulous. Hard numbers that are from lodge closures may however support your argument.

fair. I just know when we were within 100,000 lbs before the bad weather argument was used to restrict our limits before. So my point is it should work the other way too :)

Outside my wheelhouse here, as I am not involved in fishery politics, but "use it or lose it" is a pretty common theme with government regulation.

It's only one man's opinion, but I would rather risk an early closure than leave approx. 90K lbs in the water again, as eventually someone will try to take that surplus from us.

Outside my wheelhouse here, as I am not involved in fishery politics, but "use it or lose it" is a pretty common theme with government regulation.

It's only one man's opinion, but I would rather risk an early closure than leave approx. 90K lbs in the water again, as eventually someone will try to take that surplus from us.

X2. What he said!

I agree. Raise the Cm’s please. Not to mention, the year before last I caught a couple right at 132, it’s a shame tossing them back now....

Nearly a 15% increase in TAC over last year, not to mention last year’s regs leaving significant poundage in the water, etc so should definitely be some thought to increased opportunity. Yet again, great job by the Canadian contingent - from DFO to commies to our recreational reps - thanks folks!

Cheers!

Ukee

Believe it is pretty much the same as that number is TCEY. We get our 15% off the FCEY which is 400,000 lbs less i believe (native fishery and by catch I think comes off)

Nearly a 15% increase in TAC over last year, not to mention last year’s regs leaving significant poundage in the water, etc so should definitely be some thought to increased opportunity. Yet again, great job by the Canadian contingent - from DFO to commies to our recreational reps - thanks folks!

Cheers!

Ukee

Its the same as last year have to subtract .4 for First Nations i believe

2019 TCEY
Area 2B (British Columbia) 3,098.04 6.83M

We only used half our release mortality as a sector though so one would think we could convince dfo to cut that in half. Savings of 20k as well. Savings everywhereeee.... you get savings, and you get savings, and you get savings!!!! (Oprah reference)

Greater Victoria waters, we moor in Sidney, but have been known to travel.....
My pic/avatar was around Sidney jigging for cod on a pinnacle at 60’. 2 in 20 min! Ya never know....
Lol, not looking for secret Hali holes, but well done.

I think if they roll over the same regs as last year, given all the factors, people should be a little rattled. Keep Hybrid model for sure as it seemed to give more options, but to say we can't adjust length's even a few cm's is again, doing the sector an injustice. We have to have left over 600,000 lbs in the water over the past 7 years, if not more. That's just not optimization, and to keep hearing words like "cautious" "too risky" etc said has gotten us to this point. We don't have the TAC we had before, and because of that every cm and maximization of that TAC counts, and is even more important.

We have been though this if you want to use up all the tac then you risk a September closure.

I’m sure that is fine for alot of people but it’s a deal breaker for some areas.

Given the animosity it creates and the lock and the fact the Halibut group has a guiding principle for a full season it’s just so much easier to roll the regs over.

We have been though this if you want to use up all the tac then you risk a September closure.

I’m sure that is fine for alot of people but it’s a deal breaker for some areas.

Given the animosity it creates and the lock and the fact the Halibut group has a guiding principle for a full season it’s just so much easier to roll the regs over.

Its not supposed to be easy to optimize a resource. I’m not saying make it so it’s 0 left. But do a lot better than 140k, 250k 90k. 70k etc than has been done in the past. Leave the regs the same and see 100+k left over ...who does that really hurt the most?

I don’t get the need for it to be 126 or 133. Nothing in between. Adjust it 3cm then. Optimize it. Jesus Christ.

Also I know many sfac groups this fall voted for a shortened season if it meant larger fish. Know the two I go to did anyway.

Last edited:
Back