Halibut reel choices?

Kinetic

Hi, I find I hate fighting gravity and reeling lever drags on the topside of rods (I can't be the only one).
I want to buy a new reel under $250 and wanted to get some ideas on what others do.
I've read some guys using the big arbor Pete's, what about a large SW spinning reel?
Ideas?

I've yet to do it but for my daughter and others who have issues with lever drags - both with over-run on the drop and tending the line during the retrieve, been contemplating getting some spinning bottom fish set-ups. You google enough salt videos and you'll see in the tropical fisheries high-end spinning reels are popular for applications like site casting, live lining bait and speed jigging. They also land fish a lot tougher than halibut - tuna, sailfish, wahoo, etc.

I don't have the coin for $1000 Shimano Stellas or Daiwa Saltigas but, the Penn Spinfisher V gets amazing reviews and is under $200. The 6500 size has over 30lb of drag and holds 300yds of 50lb braid. The 7500 has 35lbs of drag and holds over 300yds of 65lb braid. Those drag ratings are on par with the Shimno Tyrnos 20's and 30's and Avet HX, and above the Shimano TLDs and Avet JX/LX. Only issue would be how heavy braid you want to go and how much. 300yds/900ft should be plenty of capacity unless your hali holes are super deep. Both Avet's I own are loaded with 65lb power pro, so the 6500 and 7500 size would be fine for me. For lings and rock fish I'm leaning towards the 4500 size - 25lb drag and 200yds of 30lb braid.

http://www.pennfishing.com/penn-ree...isher/penn-spinfisher-v-spinning/1290594.html

Cheers!

Ukee

Also, you could look into a fighting belt that is compatible with a gimble butt - stops the twist you're talking about and gives a lever point for lifting the rod and stability when reeling. I've also seen videos where guys use the rod holder to stabilize the reel - makes it more a case where you're winching in the halibut but for all intents and purposes, that's what halibut fishing is much of the time.

Cheers!

Ukee

I always hated the twist of my shimano lever drags so I sold them and bought Alvey 7 1/2 in. reels from Australia.Dead simple to use for novices or not and there's not much that can fail on them.And yes,they are one way drag,not knuckle busters and I think they came in at just over $200 after taxes,duty and shipping from they're web site.I use 80 lb. tuffline on them,60 would be enough,and have landed many halibut with them.

Thanks for all the great replies so far!
These look interesting, how have they held up?
What model did you buy?

Thanks

I always hated the twist of my shimano lever drags so I sold them and bought Alvey 7 1/2 in. reels from Australia.Dead simple to use for novices or not and there's not much that can fail on them.And yes,they are one way drag,not knuckle busters and I think they came in at just over $200 after taxes,duty and shipping from they're web site.I use 80 lb. tuffline on them,60 would be enough,and have landed many halibut with them.

Narrow conventional reels greatly reduce wobble and fatigue. I use the Penn Baja special for halibut.

I picked up a Torium 14 at the new Tackle Shack at Pacific Playgrounds for a little over $200. Its a star drag with silky smooth drag. Carries 365 yards of 50lb test and is only 15oz. Oh and the best part of all is the 6.2:1 retrieve on it. When you are down 250-300' and need to rip it back to the surface you'll appreciate that gear ratio. Just my .02 :)

I use the 725 Alvey,I find I don't need a high ratio retrieve reel as halibut come up slow,and I leave it in the holder when pulling up to check my gear.You don't need anything fancy to catch halibut,a Peetz is fine as long as it runs smooth.

I use a Shimano GT 2000 knuckleduster with 50lb superbraid. It's on the bottom as you specify & the lower gear ratio is fantastic for cranking. Shortfall is that when retrieving gear w/o a fish, something faster would be nice.

A spinning reel should work just fine. As Halibut tend to not peel-off 200 yds in a few nano seconds like a descent sized tuna, most any spinner should be fine.

I went on a Dorado trolling trip & all we used were spinners (not high-end ones either). We kept the bail open with our finger holding the line like you were going to cast. When the Dorado hit, let the line go, give a 3-count & set the hook. I relate this example only to point out that many fisher persons think you need to keep using the same reels for the same type fishing their great-grandfathers used (that would be a hand line for me). I went on a Tuna trip & used my knuckle buster - got laughed at until i got my fish to the boat before those with the 50 & 80 series blue water reels - reel on the bottom is the only way to go unless it's Marlin.

You could also use a 2 speed reel on top & rig up with the same harnesses used for stand-up tuna fishing

I've really been looking hard at the Penn Battle 2 6000 or the Okuma Azores. Just
can't quite justify the cost of a Shimano Spheros or Saragosa.

Big old Alvey's all the way!!! I have Penn 330's and 309's. You feel like a man fishing the Alvey's

I've really been looking hard at the Penn Battle 2 6000 or the Okuma Azores. Just
can't quite justify the cost of a Shimano Spheros or Saragosa.

I own the Okuma Azores spinner that I use for casting to jumpers Tuna fishing. It would suck as a halibut reel. Opening and closing the bail to make micro depth adjustments on the drift would be PITA. Buy a narrow/tall spool purpose built conventional reel geared between 3.8-4.2 and be done with it.

had enough of level winds a couple years ago and bought a shimano socorro 8000 and a shimano sustain 6000 loaded them with 50 lb sufix 832 super line and both have work flawlessly for hali up to 150 lbs . the socorro needs some work on the drag but for a spinning reel under $100 its amazing . the sustain landed 14 tuna and a couple dozen halibut last season without a problem by far my fav IMG_4941.jpg

For a level wind inexpensive, I'd go with Shimano TLD20, pretty bullet proof. For more $ I have an AVET HX that I love, smooth, powerful, small, light. Thumb lever drag is the way to go IMHO, easy, quick, micro drag adjustments to nicely fight big fish.
$(KGrHqZ,!g4E1e1IQ-lTBNdg3IN+Pw~~_35.JPG
Avet_HX_gold1_small.jpg

For that matter, neither address the OPs stated problem of frustration fighting the wobbles inherent with large, top mounted reels. For those who are looking for quality lever drags the TLDs and Avets get lots of good reviews on here.

Ductility - those Sustains are sweet reels, very jealous!!

Cheers!

Ukee

I have shimano calcutta 700b's for my halibut reels but they're a bit more expensive... how do you guys like the avet compared to a true levelwind? any preference?, pro's, cons? I like the looks of the avets especially with the leverdrag....compared to a starwheel...

The pros of a level wind are that they lay the line out all nice for you on the spool. The con's are complexity. One more thing to break and maintain & its much harder to quickly clean out a tangle (rats nest) trying to fit your fingers through the mechanism. For ocean fishing........loose the level wind and go conventional.
Star vs Lever drag......I dunno. I have both. Star drags offer better free spool and less maintenance. Lever drags offer easier drag control, higher drag capabilities. For our ocean fishery I guess I would say star drags are more versatile. A lower cost Shimano TLD Star 15/30 is the perfect do everything reel. Bottom fish Halibut and lings, troll for kings off the downrigger, jig, cast and live bait for Albacore.

I am a penn levelwind guy all the way. The new squalls work for me, but I did get a 7ft spinning carnage and added a 6500 spin fisher with braid. Saw the guys on TV catching big fish with them, they do work for BC fish just have not got a hali yet. Will happen this year. Worth a look as an option if you don't want the reel on the rod, well designed spinning reel with good rod may be what your after? Penns version of what ductility posted.

HM

Back