Halibut recipe/batter recipe

A friend made this one the other day - quite easy and tasty, very fresh feeling. its made with a light salsa-ish topping.

Heat up two tbsp of oil in a cast iron until smoking hot. reduce heat a bit and throw in the fish (cut into portions sizes).

give it about 3 or 4 minutes - or more importantly until the bottom is golden brown, then flip the fish over and put in the oven at 425 for about 8 or 9 mins.

the topping - dice tomato into cubes into a bowl, add a bit of finely chopped red onion, squeeze a lemon (or maybe just a half lemon) into the bowl, then add fresh dill. Its much better if the dill is fresh and I don't have a measurement, just eyeball it and keep trying it until its right. You're 'supposed' to add cilantro but I can't do that stuff so I switched for dill and its great!

Put that on the halibut and you're good to go. Simple, easy, fresh and good to eat on a sunny day. Goes really well with orzo and a greek salad.

Enjoy!

A friend made this one the other day - quite easy and tasty, very fresh feeling. its made with a light salsa-ish topping.

Heat up two tbsp of oil in a cast iron until smoking hot. reduce heat a bit and throw in the fish (cut into portions sizes).

give it about 3 or 4 minutes - or more importantly until the bottom is golden brown, then flip the fish over and put in the oven at 425 for about 8 or 9 mins.

the topping - dice tomato into cubes into a bowl, add a bit of finely chopped red onion, squeeze a lemon (or maybe just a half lemon) into the bowl, then add fresh dill. Its much better if the dill is fresh and I don't have a measurement, just eyeball it and keep trying it until its right. You're 'supposed' to add cilantro but I can't do that stuff so I switched for dill and its great!

Put that on the halibut and you're good to go. Simple, easy, fresh and good to eat on a sunny day. Goes really well with orzo and a greek salad.

Enjoy!

Look like some good recipes! now i need some more halibut.....
Friends and family seem to raid the freezer pretty quick....[}:)]

Try this one, makes a light Tempura type batter
good for 4-6 med.pieces

2/3 cup flour
2/3 cup water
1 tbsp vinegar
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking soda

heat up oil very hot,
Mix flour ,water & salt and beat till smooth
add vinegar, & baking soda
batter & deep fry

Try to find a beer batter. On another note I have bought halibut twice now, once from a supermarket and once from a fish shop. Both times the fish had no flavor! It wasn't over cooked and it wasn't overloaded with spice. I know it isn't a strong fish, but it should have a bit of flavor. I wonder if it was frozen at one point. Going to go out and catch my own.

Halibut cheeks: Are these prepped or cooked differently from fillets? Any special recipes?

Thx

I treat cheeks like scallops. Hot pan, just a few drops of higher smoke point oil like peanut, 1-2 minutes per side to get a nice sear. Done. Then dip in a sauce like garlic butter, seafood sauce, or something fancier, like a white wine reduction from the browned bits in the pan.

Back