Halibut opening

Working on it. You forgot one other...WCFGA. But there is something everyone can do now...start your own social media campaign! Apparently the Prime Minister follows which ever direction the social media winds blow.

I know a few Vancouver based production companies (Commercial/Movie Production) that love to do free stuff that's politically fueled. They get a lot of contracts doing campaign videos and being associated with the good fight makes them better candidates for the work. Plus they're like most millennials and just love anything they do to go viral. If there was a salty old dog that was well versed and well spoken on the subject they could come up with something really short, concise and catchy to bring attention to these type of issues. I could even take them out for some "local fisherman" action shots ;).
As much as some of you think social media doesn't work I think if the complaints were coming from the masses instead some greedy old fisherman they'd get more traction. My company Instagram page has 5300 followers alone, their company page has more. Anyways just a thought.

Great idea!
I agree it would need to be someone with great knowledge on TAC and allocation process. I believe it shouldnt just be about wanting more fish but what is right and wrong. Even if a person doesn't fish they should be made aware that their common resource is being given to some very very wealth people and then that person is expect to lease quota that they already own

Hold that thought, how do we get in contact. Developing our key messages will take some time and talent. I fit the greedy old fisherman profile, we better find a better spokesperson.;)

I don't know, I wouldn't sell the Internet short. Facebook,Instagram and Twitter are where a lot of young folk get their news. Where grass roots organizations get their messages out to the masses and where the Mr. Selfies get their electoral base. Not saying it's necessarily the whole answer, but it sure can't hurt.

From actual experience and not theory I tend to disagree on that. Also remember that legally you are very vulnerable also which is the downfall of social media. Just something to think about again from actual experience. Your comments can be used against you in the courts if certain parties wish to challenge you legally. Some have been successful in certain circumstances. You have to have unified direction, and voice. If you all move all over the place unorganized it doesn't work. And yes from being in the process to overturn a policy the politicians will not move just on social media alone. Your dreaming if you think it will get that much traction by itself. It is who you know in politics with any policy just remember that. That has to be done face to face, and not on a computer monitor.

An example. Alistair McGregor. MP on island. The repeal of fisheries act had a lot to do locally with his help, and many others. Sure people I know base it on the internet again including NGO groups. But Alistair brought that issue up over and over again in House of Commons. That MP was engaged face to face with some of our groups on island. From my experience until you have MP bringing it up in house of commons daily you won't get any traction. But what do I know.:rolleyes:

Last edited:
From actual experience and not theory I tend to disagree on that. Also remember that legally you are very vulnerable also which is the downfall of social media. Just something to think about again from actual experience. Your comments can be used against you in the courts if certain parties wish to challenge you legally. Some have been successful in certain circumstances. You have to have unified direction, and voice. If you all move all over the place unorganized it doesn't work. And yes from being in the process to overturn a policy the politicians will not move just on social media alone. Your dreaming if you think it will get that much traction by itself. It is who you know in politics with any policy just remember that. That has to be done face to face, and not on a computer monitor.

An example. Alistair McGregor. MLA on island. The repeal of fisheries act had a lot to do locally with his help, and many others. Sure people I know base it on the internet again including NGO groups. But Alistair brought that issue up over and over again in House of Commons. That MLA was engaged face to face with some of our groups on island. From my experience until you have MLA bringing it up in house of commons daily you won't get any traction. But what do I know.:rolleyes:
Fair enough,in your experience, but don't discount how #Idle no More or #Me To, were and are getting the attention of both the media and the politicians. I think it's a little more than a theory!As far as parties wishing to challenge you legally, as long as you state facts and stay away from embellishment, you have no worries. I agree that if you post something you better be prepared to be held accountable.

What we need to fight for is not a percentage of the Canadian TAC but priority access, somewhat similar to Chinook. We need to calculate what we as Rec Sector realistically need to have a reasonable and full halibut season. Say we all could agree that 1/2 with no max size between Feb 1 and Dec 31 would be our ideal season. This may calculate to 1.6M pounds annually with conservative model assumptions for effort/weather etc. This would come off the Canadian TAC right after FN food allocations; the rest goes to the commercials. We would stay with this number no matter what the Canadian TAC does (obviously as long as the total is > 1.6M. In years of low abundance this may translate to maybe 30% and in hopefully to come again years of higher abundance maybe to 10%. But we would have a certain and reasonable rec halibut fishery.

That's what needs to be on the agenda for tough talks with DFO and the minister. In order to achieve this, the rec sector needs to get organized via one advocacy group that takes on this fight. Substantial funds will need to be raised for this effort and people need to step up and help out (fundraising, communication, organizing ralleys, media campaigns etc. We have a few groups that could take this on but they need to get together and combine their forces. You all get in touch with the group that is most active in your area and offer your help, passion and time! That's the ONLY way out of this mess. And it's totally up to YOU if this happens. Talk to your fishing buddies and start educating them first and get them on board. Too many have no clue and like to sit back and let others do the work and then *****. Tell them its now or never, we have 12 months. Do nothing or very little as until now and you can kiss your halibut fishery good bye.

This! Somebody gets it! If there is group identified that unifies the BC rec sector in this fight, I would be happy to write out a sizeable cheque to this group!

Here's something you can do right away to make a difference....LOG BOOKS. Every single pound of halibut TAC Counts!

An example...because it is fresh in my mind from the SFAB GFSH Working Group meeting Friday...I keep hearing from guys in Area 19 how important March fishery is to them. I get that. An impassioned plea about how there are no halibut in other months like June - August because the doggies show up. Great, I believe you...BUT... the data does not...DFO does not.

I will state up front, there are flaws in our catch monitoring methodology - I could argue all day long about how it could be improved, but the Department's catch monitoring process will not change anytime soon...it is what it is for now.

So...can anyone explain why June has 900 fish or 26,738 pounds of halibut caught in Area 19, when everyone tells me they aren't fishing halibut then? Interesting...how could this be? Put in proper perspective this one month accounts for all the halibut TAC needed to run the months of Feb to April (24,488 pounds). One month...WTF?

A closer look - because the pattern of catch does not make sense to me:

Feb = 469 fish 12,368 pounds
Mar = 138 fish 3,674 pounds
Apr = 324 fish 8,446 pounds
May = 409 fish 13,303 pounds
Jun = 900 fish 26,738 pounds
Jul = 257 fish 8,259 pounds
Aug = 472 fish 14,667 pounds
Sep = 149 fish 3,684 pounds (Only 6 Days fishing)

BTW - from the numbers, March is not as productive as September, and June is the Prime Month.

So, how can this be when everyone says they can't catch hali in June, July, August in Area 19??

I think I know why. Very few guides are completing log books. So every time the DFO plane does an over-flight they are counted as fishing hali. When the creel sampler comes up to the dock, they zero in on the cleaning tables. They never talk to the guy who has a bad day and parks his boat and quietly walks away. The catch per unit of effort (CPUE) becomes skewed, so that any halibut landed and observed form part of a biassed estimate. See where this is going!!

If guides in Area 19 want more TAC, more opportunity, they need to accurately record their catch in a log book, and turn it in. Your catch data will form part of the estimate, and the over-flight data will delete your boat from the skewed biassed catch estimate. That's how it works - they deduct log book trips from over-flight observations.

Shazam - our TAC use will go down. Until we step up and do a better job on log books, we will continue to have over-estimation of our halibut catch. Get your log book, complete accurate records, properly measure each halibut because a few cm is about 70,000 pounds. It all adds up. Every pound counts.

We all have a duty to take a look in the mirror, and see that perhaps we too are part of the problem.

Sorry to use the Area 19 example, but it was the one that stood out the easiest because everyone is telling us they don't catch hali in Area 19 in the month of June. Something does not add up, and it points in my mind to poor catch reporting practices within the rec community.

I strongly suspect this happens everywhere, and explains to some extent why "Huston we have a problem." Imagine a world where we had accurate catch reporting, and how far our TAC use would go down if everyone stepped up.

Game on.

I think there is still a considerable effort in area 19 and 20 in June especially since these heavy handed salmon restrictions were introduced a few years ago. If you can't fish for a decent salmon in area 19/20 in June what else are you going to fish for in the salt? There are no rockfish or ling populations that would be worth the effort. So I would say June is now an important halibut month for the south island, and lands probably more fish than Feb/March due to nicer weather. So the numbers are not completely out of line I would say. July/August is a different story. That's when the effort there switches to salmon as the restrictions typically ease off. A skew factor in June in area 19/20 might be a not insignificant influx of US fishers crossing the border to fish for halibut. They get counted right into the mix during overflights. And on certain spots these can be dozens of boats which could make up 50% of the fishing fleet at that location. And last year's March catch was unusually low due to the late and untypical winter conditions that far into the south island spring. In a typical year you will see March right there with Feb/April/May in terms of poundage.

im really hoping it gets posted how the SFAB voted per region, every area has different concerns and hope the vote reflects

Personal.. I would really like to know how many people on this forum actually take the time to go to there area SFAC meeting & participate? .... I can tell u my area SFAC 17 has seen a drop in participation at the meeting but my distribution list is bigger so more people are seeing what is going on.. I haven't had any feed back for my people yet as of the going on... If u want to know what your local SFAC voted contact your area rep and ask him how there area voted... remembering the people who show up to meeting determine how that area voted.. ..To answer your question not sure if the minutes of the main board meeting will reflect that.. If you are part of your local SFAC group for your area u will receive the minutes once they are complete to get a run down of what has happened ..That would be for both SFAC-South Coast and then the Main board.....

Last edited:
Personal.. I would really like to know how many people on this forum actually take the time to go to there area SFAC meeting & participate? .... I can tell u my area SFAC 17 has seen a drop in participation at the meeting but my distribution list is bigger so more people are seeing what is going on.. I haven't had any feed back for my people yet as of the going on... ..To answer your question not sure if the minutes of the main board meeting will reflect that.. If you are part of your local SFAC group for your area u will receive the minutes once they are complete to get a run down of what has happened ..That would be for both SFAC-South Coast and then the Main board.....
I have contacted DFO as to why the minutes of meetings are not published in the past, as per their transparency mandate.The answer I got is that they can't post them to an official site because they can't get them translated into French. I think that's a pretty lame response for a Federal Department, who claims transparency is important and whose political masters tout the benefits of bilingualism. The reality is because they can't translate them they languish in some bodies in box.

it is what it is.. pm me your area and i'll send you there contact info..
Thanks Derby I appreciate the offer, however my point is that the DFO has a responsibility to post these minutes in a public forum, not rely on area reps to do it for them on a one on one basis. To excuse a Federal Department, who like all other Departments hierarchy is populated by a bi lingual group of managers, because they can't translate is wrong IMO. If,as we keep saying there are 300k recreational fishermen, is it realistic to expect all to attend the meetings or individually ask Area reps for minutes,or is it far more efficient to publish the minutes at a central site like is supposed to happen. Communication is DFO's job!

The SFAB recommendation has been floating around. I understand they were between a rock and a hard place but it’s going to be a tough reg to swallow. I think most seemed to support the 1/1 with a larger max. Lots of things for fisherman to rally against these days but a larger percent of the quota is certainly needed if we are going to see a change.

Last edited:
The SFAB recommendation has been floating around. I understand they were between a rock and a hard place but it’s going to be a tough reg to swallow. I think most seemed to support the 1/1 with a larger max.

On a Personal note I agree on the 1/1 a based on aver weight and what data I got to look at....... some steps have been taken to put more options in the hands of the SFAC allowing more options to be modeled for the next fall meeting .... Sea run and many others are correct, until we get a fair share of the allocating of halibut we will be looking and a even smaller allowable tac for 2019.... for the reg for 2018 its in the books ..we have a 1/2 full season to fish and I will have to change how I fish but we have a opportunity to retain fish for a season..un like Washington next store................. I will put this question out there which we haven't seen.... how many people out there that travel for one or 2 trips a year to the coast to fish don't have a problem with the 1/2 and would we be at the other end of stick if we hade went 1/1.. wondering out loud what this thread would have looked like????

On a Personal note I agree on the 1/1 a based on aver weight and what data I got to look at....... some steps have been taken to put more options in the hands of the SFAC allowing more options to be modeled for the next fall meeting .... Sea run and many others are correct, until we get a fair share of the allocating of halibut we will be looking and a even smaller allowable tac for 2019.... for the reg for 2018 its in the books ..we have a 1/2 full season to fish and I will have to change how I fish but we have a opportunity to retain fish for a season..un like Washington next store................. I will put this question out there which we haven't seen.... how many people out there that travel for one or 2 trips a year to the coast to fish don't have a problem with the 1/2 and would we be at the other end of stick if we hade went 1/1.. wondering out loud what this thread would have looked like????

Find the last sentence hard to believe. How many people would not come to coast cause they can’t catch a 10 lb halibut... And the Washington comparables have to stop, they are not relevant as two completely different fisheries with different biomasses and two completely different fishing pressures. That’s just fear tactics. Not trying to pick a fight here Deryk but it really is.

Uhmmm everybody. DFO said last year they couldnt find anybody too or that they didn’t have funds to translate their info into French.

And I’ll lay money on it that they say the same thing next year.

Back