Halibut opening

There are a lot of reasons why Commercial TAC gets left in the water. Recently one of the main reasons is they can’t get Yellow Eye quota to allow them to deal with by-catch from fishing Hali. So they have to stop fishing. Other reasons can be waiting for better price - speculation.

Yellow Eye Conservation will also pose a significant challenge for the Rec fleet as well. DFO was considering area closures of halibut grounds where there are Yellow Eye. The SFAB is proposing an alternative which is zero YE retention and mandatory use and carry of descending devices to manage by-catch mortality.

If you don’t already have a descending device better hurry up and get one. It’s the right thing to do for the fish and if we can prove there is solid adoption and use within the Rec community we might be able to manage our way around area closures

That’s right. Anyone who disagrees is a troll or same person. Insert eyeroll here.

Don’t get me wrong, what he said didn’t make much sense, but that’s the exact typical
Response to anyone who disagrees with those on the board and that’s a part of the problem RIGHT THERE! (Definitely not most of the problem but 100% part of it. Most of problem is we get 15% and that’s it). #anyonethatdisagreesdoesnt”getit”

Us boomer only got another 10 years or so and then the reins are all yours...u may want to work on some solutions if were not doing the good job.....

received_10155186840067793.png

Can anyone tell me when halibut fishing opens this year? The fisheries and oceans site says it is closed until further notice. Thanks!

I think everyone is waiting, not surprised DFO is waiting till the last minute.

I'm interested in whether or not we will stay on last years regs till the end of March or start with new regs?

It is a 2017 condition of licence so it will be 2017 reg.. until April 1st.. new licence new condition...

The answer is it should be, as recommend ..... but until DFO announce it.... No ....................

The RDG took some extra time to review and sign off on the conditions of license. That should be done shortly and the Fishery Notice will be out .

Season will start March 1. We will run off the 2017 Reg’s until the new season starts April 1 with the new regs.

So we'll be allowed a 133 cm. until March31 and then down to 111 cm. on the new license? I know it hasn't been announced yet,but when it is please confirm for me.

Definitely opening on March 1st. Just got this email this morning. Not sure what a variation order is?

Attachments

• IMG_2684.PNG
    IMG_2684.PNG
    467.9 KB · Views: 92
Well if it sticks with 2017 regs till April on the bright side there should be a bit more charter demand for the guys operating right now.
@Fishtofino, hope you're operating on a few rums these days hahaha

Back