Halibut in the Saanich Inlet

Areas nearby? Yes...

There's halibut everywhere. Not many people target them outside of areas where they are known to have decent abundance.

Certainly doesn't mean it's not worth a try!

lots and lots of sole up to about 18 inches long. Not sure of the limit on those, but you can get a handful every time out if you try.

I spent a summer fishing/ targeting halibut in Saanich inlet a few years back, probably put in 10-15 days and left no potential habitat unfished. Never got a single one! There are some good lingcod holes but you will have to work your butt off to find them. My advice: launch in Sidney/Island View and fish the other side, its much more productive

I never got any hali but did get a 8 ft 6 gill shark there many years ago. Used to be good fishing.

HM

Did you get into a few too many rums in the lovely sunshine this afternoon? Campbell River for Hali's?
Well it was stated in that May fishing thread that they get decent numbers of Hslubut there :p

I can tell you from personal experience that "the Dead Sea" (saanich inlet) is not the Dead Sea. Fishing during prawning season (April) as good if not better than other areas with the odd high 20's low 30's taken
http://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?attachments/picture-012-jpg.18747/
Thanks for that insight, GnB. From the article it states: "The dead zone occurs in the Saanich Inlet between January and September, until fall rains cause water to flow over its sill replenishing the oxygen supply and marine life returns.". No horizontal nor vertical boundaries were given in that article, neither...

Back