Halibut Decision Expected Any day

Derby

Crew Member
Halibut decision expected any day

By Jeremy Maynard
The Ardent Angler
The west coast recreational fishery has been awaiting two decisions about halibut in the run up to the 2012 season, these being the results of the review of the inter-sectoral allocation policy between the commercial and recreational sectors and the final determination of Canada’s total allowable catch (TAC) for this year. The former is by far the most important of the two for several reasons, and should be known anytime soon, but last Friday the overall harvest ceilings for each fishing area within its jurisdiction were announced at the conclusion of the International Pacific Halibut Commission (IPHC) annual meeting, held this year in Anchorage.
To be shared amongst all user groups, at 7.038 million pounds the 2012 halibut TAC for Canada (IPHC Area 2B) represents a reduction from last year of 612,000 pounds. Not a good news story but better than it could have been; some readers may recall the pre-Christmas news that IPHC staff were recommending a 2B TAC of 6.63 million pounds so obviously the Canadian delegation (including Chuck Ashcroft from the Comox Valley) were persuasive in making the case for a higher amount.
The lower allowable catch ceiling is because the halibut resource continues to go through a phase of lower productivity throughout its range in the northeast Pacific Ocean. Research indicates there are in fact lots of halibut in the water, resulting from two successive highly productive spawning seasons about a dozen years ago, but growth and recruitment to a harvestable size continues to be much slower than those rates observed over the long term.
With lots of smaller halibut competing with each other for the same food resource, compounding the situation there has been a significant increase in the Arrowtooth Flounder population at the same time. A far less desirable flatfish, they compete with halibut for the same food sources across much the same range.
So now we know how much halibut in aggregate Canadian’s are allowed to catch this year, what we don’t know at this point is how much will be allocated to the recreational fishery. It is upon this calculation that decisions regarding start and end dates for the season as well as bag and possession limits will be made. Under the present 12% recreational catch share ceiling, the 7 million pound TAC would translate into a short and not very sweet season for anglers, but this simply demonstrates the need for change in the allocation policy.
And the present situation of not knowing what the regulations for the recreational halibut season, which traditionally opened Feb. 1, are detrimental to recreational fishing interests of all kinds. Resident anglers can’t make plans about when they might go halibut fishing, tackle stores don’t know how much related tackle to order and those offering a service (guides and lodges) at peak marketing time can’t tell prospective clients when or how many halibut they might be able to catch this year.
Stay tuned, the results of the halibut allocation policy review lead by MP Randy Kamp should be made known any day now.
Like the original allocation policy announced in October 2003, those in Ottawa will determine any change, not regional DFO staff. This includes both politicians and senior departmental staff at national headquarters. Ordinarily interactions between the latter and fishermen like me are infrequent at best but recently I got a glimpse into the thinking that drives fishery considerations at the highest level.
The occasion was a daylong session about fisheries modernization entitled “A Discussion on the Future of Canada’s Commercial Fisheries”. Held in Vancouver and lead by two assistant deputy-ministers (ADM’s) from Ottawa as well as senior regional staff, despite the topic a broad range of fishery stakeholders (First Nations, commercial and recreational fishery and NGO’s with an interest in fisheries management) were invited to attend and provide comment on the presentations. I was there as one of several representatives of the recreational fishery selected from the Sport Fishing Advisory Board. As part of a national fisheries initiative, this session was the latest in a series of meetings held in cities around coastal Canada.
This is not the place to get into the subject matter but those participants from outside the commercial fishery were there because all fisheries are inter-related and so management actions within one should be considered in context of the others; the present commercial-recreational halibut allocation issue is but one example.
In the midst of his initial presentation, Kevin Stringer, the ADM for Program Policy stated, “uniquely here in BC the relationship between commercial and recreational fisheries has to be considered.” To me this is a good news/bad news story. The good news is, obviously, the positive emphasis on considerations for the regional recreational fishery and, although Mr. Stringer didn’t reference it, is merely an affirmation of Principle 6 of the Recreational Vision document signed in both Ottawa and Victoria two years ago and which states that the needs of the recreational fishery will be explicitly considered in integrated fishery management plans.
The bad news, as I see it, is that outside BC where DFO has responsibility for fisheries management the recreational fishery is out of luck and all available evidence seems to support that view. As an angler don’t expect to go fishing for halibut or tuna or lobster or snow crab in Atlantic Canada, to use but a few desirable examples.
After First Nations Section 35 FSC requirements have been assured, 100% of the remaining TAC for these species is allocated to the commercial fishery – always has been and likely always will be unless someone is brave enough to take up a lengthy and expensive legal challenge for non-commercial fishing Canadians to have access to their fair share of what is supposed to be a common property resource.
Well it isn’t going to be an angler from this part of the world, but what this narrative does emphasize is the challenge the angling community here faces when trying to get a favourable decision on any matter pertaining to the recreational fishery from those in Ottawa. Opportunities we largely take for granted in the Pacific region are evidently unknown elsewhere in Canada and against this background it’s little wonder the halibut allocation issue has taken the course it has; I guess we were supposed to feel grateful the recreational fishery got 12% at all.

Buddy at the building supply says he heard a rumor of March 1st.
Cogent words from Maynard.

2012 International Pacific Halibut Commission - SFI IPHC Report

The annual meeting of the International Pacific Halibut Commission took place last week in Anchorage Alaska.

As an indication of the importance Canada places on the issue of halibut management, Canada's delegation was led by Michael Pearson, the head of DFO's International Division in Ottawa (and the grandson of former Prime Minister Lester B. Pearson)
The Canadian recreational fishery contingent included SFI directors, Gerry Kristianson, John McCulloch, and Martin Paish, and SFAB groundfish chair Chuck Ashcroft.

Concerned by what it terms "uncertainty in the stock assessment process and future estimates of exploitable biomass", and troubled by retrospective indications that the model used in recent years to estimate biomass may be inaccurate, the IPHC staff switched to a new model (also know as the "Wobble SQ" should you want to demonstrate your technical expertise and impress your fishing buddies) and recommended a 20% overall decrease in harvest to a total of 33 million pounds compared with last year's 41 million.

In recognition that data from the Canadian zone shows a different trend than elsewhere, the staff recommendation for Canada's 2012 TAC was 6.63 million pounds, a 13% decrease from last year's 7.65 million.

The IPHC commissioners have two advisory bodies, the Conference Board, composed of commercial, recreational and First Nations harvesters and the Processors Advisory Group (PAG). Although the PAG endorsed the staff recommendations, all but one of the Canadian representatives on the Conference Board supported a higher number for Canada, citing the work done to reduce bycatch and account for all mortalities in our fisheries. This number of 7.04 million pounds was endorsed by the Commission, in what can only be considered as a tribute to Michael Pearson's leadership and the able support of Laura Richards and Gary Robinson. Canada's share of the total coastwide harvest increased to 21% from 18.6% in 2011.

Even this small improvement over the staff recommendations is a tribute to the fact that Canada has been working hard to present a united front in its halibut negotiations with the United States. One irony at this year's meeting was that the single Conference Board vote against an increase in the Canadian share came from the person representing the UFAWU. The rumble you felt last Wednesday afternoon was Homer Stevens turning in his grave as a Fishermen's union rep said he wanted fewer fish for Canada!

Another achievement for Canada was that the Conference Board unanimously endorsed a resolution from Gerry Kristianson calling on the commission to consider closing nursery areas where large numbers of juvenile halibut are being slaughtered in the Pollock trawl fishery, and a motion from the PHMA's Chris Sporer calling for continued action to deal with the bycatch in US waters which is significantly reducing the movement of mature fish into the Canadian zone- by as much as a million pounds of harvestable fish a year according to IPHC staff.

It is also worth noting that conspicuously absent from this year's meeting was any sign of the many Canadian environmental groups who have been quick to criticize recreational catch monitoring standards and support the "slipper skippers" and their commercial ITQs. While these groups are only too happy to criticize recreational halibut anglers, they seem strangely indifferent to the massive by-catch of juvenile halibut, Chinook and chum that is taking place in the Bering Sea and Gulf of Alaska. Indeed, in a recent story in Ketchikan's Sit News, Kathy Hansen, executive director of the Southeast Alaska Fishermen's Alliance said "It's a bit uncomfortable to be from Alaska where we supposedly have sustainable fisheries and the best management in the world,"

SFI will meet with Minister Ashfield

The SFI continues to work on the halibut issue at all levels possible. A meeting with Minister Ashfield has been arranged this week to discuss the Halibut allocation issue and the delay of the announcement.

Watch for news and updates on this issue.

For more information contact:

Sport Fishing Institute of BC
t: 604.270.3439
w: www.sportfishing.bc.ca.
e: info@sportfishing.bc.ca

The SFI Team,
Sport Fishing Institute of British Columbia

Ya better wait a couple months, wouldn't see you get dragged under by a huge Halibut
in these kind of temps and ocean conditions !

nope, but i'll take my float tube if i have to, already talked to my local dfo and told them my feelings and intentions...like i said, i've had enough, if i get taken to court then so be it, lookin' forward to it..holmes*

I am sure you will have many more guys join you if this goes bad.. I would like to block Victoria Harbour myself that will get some attention to this very important matter while at it add the fish farm shi into it.

im game FD, tell me when and where and i will make sure im there...i am so sick of sending emails, writing letters and making phone calls, with minimal response....holmes*

everyone just fish in there back yards !!
Im serious , if i know everyone is game , I will do it , have friends that will join me ! Guaranteed...

phone calls , meetings , emails have dun $hit , time ta bump it up..

fd

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, maybe we will see those clowns at DFO do a tap dance....... again. :mad:

I've reread what Nog and Derby have posted and have this feeling that I have seen this before.
IPHC staff recommends one amount and Conference Board recommends a higher amount.
Arguments are made and an amount is agreed to. Higher in this case.
I know why the recreational sector want's more as we have been on the short end of the stick in allocation.
UFAWU voted against the increase. Why is that? Are they worried we are harvesting too much?
Correct me if I'm wrong here but lets just change the names and see what this looks like.
IPHC staff = Science
Conference Board = Harvesters (DFO,Fishing companies, FN and Rec's)
UFAWU = United Fishermen and Allied Workers' Union (working stiffs)

Anyone else see something like what happened on the right coast?
No it could not happen here as we have learned from that disaster right?
Something to think about when your reread what Derby and Nog posted.

GLG

I am confused a little. Where did the extra LBS come from is my question?

I've reread what Nog and Derby have posted and have this feeling that I have seen this before.
IPHC staff recommends one amount and Conference Board recommends a higher amount.
Arguments are made and an amount is agreed to. Higher in this case.
I know why the recreational sector want's more as we have been on the short end of the stick in allocation.
UFAWU voted against the increase. Why is that? Are they worried we are harvesting too much?
Correct me if I'm wrong here but lets just change the names and see what this looks like.
IPHC staff = Science
Conference Board = Harvesters (DFO,Fishing companies, FN and Rec's)
UFAWU = United Fishermen and Allied Workers' Union (working stiffs)

Anyone else see something like what happened on the right coast?
No it could not happen here as we have learned from that disaster right?
Something to think about when your reread what Derby and Nog posted.

GLG

Hard to believe the SFI cherry picked the report from IPHC yet again.

Here are a couple of things they left out.

- The UFAWU rep is also the longest standing IPHC research vessel skipper. I believe he is 18 years doing the surveys
- The UFAWU rep's position was that Canada takes the staff recommendations ONLY if area 3 took an even bigger cut
- BC is a net recipient of halibut from the areas to the west. That would mean that if area 3 goes down we may not be far behind.
- The UFAWU rep's position completely contradicts the SFAB position which was.... yup you got it... more fish regardless of what science says.

See any pattern here glg?

Thanks for your comment fish4all and yes I do see a pattern and I am pointing it out to others.
I have been reading the reports from IPHC and I know that we have lot's of Halibut in the water.
Problem is they are small and if we keep whacking them, then we may be in trouble.
This may take many years to happen but i don't know.
Is it our fault (you, me and FN)? Well it's everyone's fault and problem.
I read a report that compares fishing management around the world.
Canada finished almost dead last..... We are a "big talk no action" player in the world.
We need change from DFO, not speeches and web site articles.
Our science never seems to be put into action.
Our policy is opposite to what we do.
The "precautionary principal" is being superseded by a "section 35".
Kind of "do no harm" to "do harm but make up for it".
Problem with that is it doesn't work very well.

Fish4all we do have common concerns not just with Halibut, and value your thoughts.
I may not agree and I may argue but that doesn't mean I don't want to hear them.
GLG

Back