HALIBUT CLOSURE

If quota is being bought, as I understand it it is from the 85% the commercial boats own, not our 15%. If so,it wouldn't make a difference to us as recreational fisherman in regards to the early closing this year.

That's not the point ziggy......the point is sticking together to get the rec fishery more TAC, which certain guides are not doing. Buying into the whole experimental quota purchase system is not helping us sport fishers at all......it's just making it easy for DFO to manage our resource.

That's the point.

I live on the ocean in Jordan River, and i have seen boats out in the usual halibut spots since it has closed, one the other day had WN on the side.

If quota is being bought, as I understand it it is from the 85% the commercial boats own, not our 15%. If so,it wouldn't make a difference to us as recreational fisherman in regards to the early closing this year.

say what? these are rec fisherman.??

That's not the point ziggy......the point is sticking together to get the rec fishery more TAC, which certain guides are not doing. Buying into the whole experimental quota purchase system is not helping us sport fishers at all......it's just making it easy for DFO to manage our resource.

That's the point.
Fair enough, but the post I referenced had nothing to do with sticking together, it implied that the season was closed early because quota was purchased. My reply was that the fact quota purchased did not result in early closure! It did not come from the 15% we are allocated. Am I wrong?

But the quota isn't! I missed your point?

hmmm, say i am dfo, sportsfishers are buying quota, great!! our new buy quota system is working! we can shut down early instead of finding a reasonable solution!

hmmm, say i am dfo, sportsfishers are buying quota, great!! our new buy quota system is working! we can shut down early instead of finding a reasonable solution!
I see your point if I'm DFO and the average weekend warrior opts to buy quota before taking the boat out for the weekend,but I suspect that isn't the case. I'm just guessing but I would guess it may be businesses purchasing for clients. Hopefully DFO recognizes the difference??? At any rate the buying of quota is not the issue that causes early closure IMO, rather the inequity of the 85/15 % split.

That would not surprise me!
Fair enough, but the post I referenced had nothing to do with sticking together, it implied that the season was closed early because quota was purchased. My reply was that the fact quota purchased did not result in early closure! It did not come from the 15% we are allocated. Am I wrong?

No you are absolutely correct. So not sure what you were getting at in your post?

No you are absolutely correct. So not sure what you were getting at in your post?
You may have to read the initial post and then the reply together to understand the context. The initial post implied that some how the buying of quota was a factor in the season closing early this year. I'm sure you agree that the buying of commercial quota would not have an affect on our 15%, as the purchase was from another source. Therefore whether or not quota is purchased has nothing to do with when DFO determines we have caught our allocation.

Correct Ziggy any bought quota comes from the commercials 85%

Paying the fine is probably cheaper than buying the quota.

Somehow I would rather support the guys ignoring the quota than those buying it.

I have serious concerns about how DFO estimates the Rec catch.
Counting boats and trailers and assuming they are all catching fish?
How do they know which boats are catching Rec quota and which are fishing purchased quota?

Somehow I feel that this early closure is just trying to drive quota purchase.

I wonder if they are using our guide log books and extrapolating our numbers with the fly over numbers? That would inflate the numbers for sure

i got flown over 4 times while anchored in the sound... no hali on board... three rods out so i guess they figr i killed 12? when it was a ZERO.

Back