HALIBUT CLOSURE

I would say it's pretty obvious.......they want us (rec sportfishers) to know last so we won't be hitting the resource all weekend. Personally I won't be fishing Hali until they open again but DFO doesn't want guys hitting it hard which is why all the secrecy. I heard rumour it was going down early last week.

Until I see a notice (you would think one would be up by now), first thing Tuesday morning off Tofino I am gonna get em while I can. ;):cool:
Why would you come here, there's no fish

Attachments

• IMG_3973.JPG
    IMG_3973.JPG
    445.7 KB · Views: 99
When I herd whispers of the possible closure I wanted you all to know because we as sportsman should be informed better than a day before or the day of closing.

I would say it's pretty obvious.......they want us (rec sportfishers) to know last so we won't be hitting the resource all weekend. Personally I won't be fishing Hali until they open again but DFO doesn't want guys hitting it hard which is why all the secrecy. I heard rumour it was going down early last week.
I think you nailed it,but not just for a weekend. I'm sure DFO have known for some time (June,July,August?)but were afraid to let the word get out in case it created additional pressure. Perhaps enough pressure to impact the summer season!What does that tell you?The cat however is out of the bag for next year, expect at latest, a Labour Day closure. Hali fishing for the Spring and maybe into Summer?

How did we eat up so much tac compared to the last 2 years, where the season went all the way to the new year.

How did we eat up so much tac compared to the last 2 years, where the season went all the way to the new year.
Total personal observation from my 15 days in Ukee and 3 in Tofino. There were less fishcheckers, more airplanes counting, less foggy days, and more halibut on the tables.

One of the windiest July's ever down here

They might have saved the lodges summer season this year , but the nature of this closure stands to royally screw them next year.

Next year we might be looking at a significant uptake in resident pressure in the early season and the lodges and guides sure aren't going to be happy if halibut ends up shutting down in July. Might be just the impetus we need to get things changed.

They might have saved the lodges summer season this year , but the nature of this closure stands to royally screw them next year.

Next year we might be looking at a significant uptake in resident pressure in the early season and the lodges and guides sure aren't going to be happy if halibut ends up shutting down in July. Might be just the impetus we need to get things changed.

Stop the idiocy of scare tactics of July closure. Dumb and impossible given current regs.

What is the status of the commercial allocation? Do they fully use their allocation each year and if so by what date? I'm trying to understand the total allocation.

Stop the idiocy of scare tactics of July closure. Dumb and impossible given current regs.
A lot of people would have said the same about an early September closure a few days back. Given the announced plan was to stay open until December and in previous years there was still quota left in the water, who would have predicted a closure 3 months early! There is no denying that people who previously fished the fall season will adjust to a spring season. Frankly we seem to have barely made it through the Summer season as it is, so what will the impact be? Short of a much higher allocation to even suggest a full Summer season defies basic math. It will all come down to how many fishers decide to not chance an early closure ( even earlier than this year) and target halibut in the Spring.

There is some good news for 2018. This should be a stronger Chinook cycle and it will also be the dominant Adams River sockeye cycle year. Hopefully some decent salmon fishing with a sockeye opening in 2018 will reduce the number of guys targeting halibut.

There is some good news for 2018. This should be a stronger Chinook cycle and it will also be the dominant Adams River sockeye cycle year. Hopefully some decent salmon fishing with a sockeye opening in 2018 will reduce the number of guys targeting halibut.
Are you talking strictly the Northern area/ lodges? I can't see how a good summer/fall salmon fishery in the south will cut down guys down there targeting halibut in the spring? Agree though it's good news.

Having trouble reading thread, surprises me. How did we use our TAC, anyone from outside Victoria should see the local JDF banks, holes, reefs, ledges and even "mud holes" areas now. I started fishing Hali mid Aug as I was away, "normally" hali in July-Sept is a dogfish crazy event and a large portion of fishers stop the effort and target salmon, this year the increased attention and pressure was very noticeable, when I can count dozens of boats anchored for a 3 hr current window during prime salmon times. With an estimated 10,000 new homes in Vic and countless new fisherman/fisherwomen more TAC is the ONLY way to keep a BC sport fishing hali season. I am no scientist but I foresee the increased future pressure on our JDF stocks to be another upcoming issue.

So lets unite, make our voice heard and get more TAC.

HM

Lots of effort during the summer months but only hearing about being dogfished out by many. Sure some get them but most don't. I don't trust the creel and flyover data extrapolations.

Back