HALIBUT CLOSURE

Ya just take what we give you sheeple......we will spoon feed you what we want and you will just suck it up.

Give your head a shake

Sheeple? Buddy you haven't a clue. Gotta love you guys that tell people they're on their own cuz you don't live here but start askin for help and sayin we need to band together when it affects you.

Well this year I didn't halibut at all. Zero in the freezer. I had a lot of boat issues throughout spring keeping me from going out on the water. Yep so moral of story is I didn't get mine it the 7 1/2 months but that is my fault. Personally down here in South island it would have been awesome if was a Sept 31st closure allowing some people who didn't go enough time, and notice. But if it has to do a fast close for whatever reason I guess it is what it is. This is the sacrifice we all make with one model that applies to all areas. It also did open in early in Feb this year. Next year I wont make same mistake.

Sheeple? Buddy you haven't a clue. Gotta love you guys that tell people they're on their own cuz you don't live here but start askin for help and sayin we need to band together when it affects you.

A fisherman actually suggesting the annual limits should be smaller because HE only makes one trip a year completely solo and can only keep his two is pretty much completely mind boggling.

Can't say I have ever heard a fisherman say anything like that before. Perhaps we should be like the states and only have 3 days to hunt Hali too hey Clint? Then you can make your solo trip and be sure there are fish around as your fellow anglers haven't been able to fish for them before you could make the trip.

Until I see a notice (you would think one would be up by now), first thing Tuesday morning off Tofino I am gonna get em while I can. ;):cool:

Oh? I get it all the time. You get 6 I get 2 and should be happy with that. Not sure about the states, But I can say this, when I suggested that interior fishers be allowed to catch their six when they have the chance the bitching got out of hand. Called me greedy even though it's the SAME amount of fish. Only difference is I'd get mine all in the two weeks available to me. So whats the alternative? Buy quota? That sets em of too. All I'm suggesting is that the system now is skewed and needs to be equalized for all anglers. Easiest way to do that? Let's here it? Gotta have some suggestions......

How is a successful management regime implemented by Alaska for years, and proven to be effective, "foolishness" while the "experiments" we've tried here, some with no founding in fishery mgmt science and no data to support any effectiveness get lauded? People have to stop reacting with their emotions and start thinking with their heads.

Foundational to this entire issue is a historically entrenched attitude that the ocean is a limitless resource, which it's not. Yes, the 15/85 split is unacceptable to our sector but the overarching fact is there isn't enough total TAC for all sectors to access the halibut resource with no catch and season limits. While we all seem to accept that the freshwater resource is limited and accept regs to that effect, such as caps on guide licenses and days, seasonal closures, catch and release waters, etc, etc, the ocean is still very much a free for all. Less so for salmon but very much so for most other species. Any one of us can get insurance, register our boat for commercial use and start guiding or buy some land or get a foreshore lease and open a lodge. Same goes for trailering our boats to the latest "hot" or "untouched" fishery - just look at the post numbers for Nootka vs past darlings like ukee and hardy (and all the reports of crowds and poor etiquette). But can the resource withstand unlimited pressure? Of course it can't!

Past time for us to look at the mistakes we've made and that other jurisdictions have made and start managing the ocean fishery as the valuable but limited resource it is. Lots of ways to do this and it would benefit all parts of the rec sector - whether you guide, own a lodge, are a local, travel w/ your boat or are a fishing tourist, a properly managed fishery benefits us all.

Cheers!

Ukee

Yeah. That's too bad. Pissed me off last year when I got told the same thing. Doesn't change a thing. My opportunities never changed.

Maybe time to go two fish per angler per season? No different than most interior anglers get. So yeah .... suck it up.

Awesome mentality. If you get upset about not being able to keep 6 because you live too far from the coast and only make one trip solo, I suggest you buy it. Money saved and problem solved.

I herd it from Island Outfitters as I herd a rumor of the 4th of September so I called the store today and the catch quotas have been reached and they told me that their going to drop it at the last minute on everyone hopefully not but I don't put it past DFO.
Just called Island Outfitters - the guys I talked to knew absolutely nothing about a closure - where's the DFO notice??

Last edited:
Awesome mentality. If you get upset about not being able to keep 6 because you live too far from the coast and only make one trip solo, I suggest you buy it. Money saved and problem solved.

Awesome mentality? Upset? Not worth my time. Really, I'm more resigned. Like I said my opportunities are the same. Haven't changed at all and I'm still limited to my two fish( none this year). i made my point that the system is skewed. Like it or not it is. You guys are the ones saying the seasons too short and you didn't have enough time to catch your annual limit not me. I'm just saying the shoes on the other foot now. And again for you slow types. MY OPPORTUNITY IS UNCHANGED and that's fine by me and you guys who keep saying it's cuz I don't live at the coast/island are missing the point. The fish don't belong to you. They belong to all of us.

Last edited:
You can catch just as many fish as myself or any other angler in BC. Taking a quote from you, "your opportunities are the same". So please stop saying you are restricted to 2 fish per year or that coastal people think they own the fish.

It's like me getting mad because I live on Vancouver Island and only get one opportunity per year to shoot an interior moose.

Last edited:
No. I'm not restricted, but my opportunity is the time I'm alloted for vacation. Two very different things. Think about it

Guys, we need to stand together. This is an issue of allocation, not conservation. The closure will be Sept 6. That leaves 3 more days. It's important to not bicker amongst ourselves, the real problem is our allocation. This is a government mess to fix up. It's not the fault of the lodges. It's not the fault of the guides. It's not the fault of First Nations. It's not the fault of the IPHC, which I think is doing a good job managing the stocks, as Halibut are the only fish on the coast not utterly wiped out. We need to stand together and have the feds fix what they broke, and that's an allocation system that was based on poor data.

No matter if it gets closed or not, its a merry go round again. Lets attack each other instead of uniting and fixing the real problem. Too much TAC for commercial and not enough for sporties. Too bad we could not direct all our energy at the real problem guys.

HM

With the 15% we have now if every sport fishing licence holder took their 6 halibut each year we would close in July. The 6 halibut a year is only a maximum number.... the number you actually take varies from individual to individual and it doesn't matter where you live. I live on the coast and I've taken none...my choice.

The crying and divisiveness on this thread is exactly why we will never get any more tac.

Want more Halibut either move to the coast or make 2 trips.

No. I'm not restricted, but my opportunity is the time I'm alloted for vacation. Two very different things. Think about it

Soooo people in Alberta, Manitoba, central BC, should be fine with 2 for the year cause you can only get one week of holidays? Ya ok ! You need to rethink your post....

Guys, we need to stand together. This is an issue of allocation, not conservation. The closure will be Sept 6. That leaves 3 more days. It's important to not bicker amongst ourselves, the real problem is our allocation. This is a government mess to fix up. It's not the fault of the lodges. It's not the fault of the guides. It's not the fault of First Nations. It's not the fault of the IPHC, which I think is doing a good job managing the stocks, as Halibut are the only fish on the coast not utterly wiped out. We need to stand together and have the feds fix what they broke, and that's an allocation system that was based on poor data.
But don't you honestly think the timing and lack of warning is ludicrous . To me this shows the total lack of respect DFO has for the average sport fisherman! I'm also curious as to who knew this was coming and when?

Back