Halibut Closed Until Further Notice

quote:Originally posted by fish4all
My personal opinion is that the lodge and charter fleet have no business being lumped together with other sports fishers. The commercial sports fleet should be licensed, allocated a portion of the sports share and be able to lease or purchase what ever else they need to make a viable business plan.

I definitly don't agree with your math but I do agree with this statement.

Howdy,

Why has the guy's name been censored? Geezuzz... where are we going with this? While we are at it, why don't we force some of the others with undesirable handles to change theirs as well.

Let's stay on course here gentlemen, the 'Halibut' question is simple: It's about apportionment and nothing else.

Can we stick to that point and drive-it-home with the biggest hammer we got?

Come on guys, forget about the math it's not our job to figure out and what we would calculate doesn't matter anyway. It's someone else's job, let them figure it out.

The only thing that we really need to focus on here is how to organize oursleves enough to start lobbying effectively against this allocation decision. In-fighting amoungst ourselves is only taking us backwards, you guys need to put your differences aside and for those who think this allocation issue is unjust we need to figure out a game plan. Anyone who thinks that the commercial and sport catch values are similar are so out to lunch that we don't need or want them involved anyways. Just ignore them, they obviously don't know what they are talking about.

So let's get organized.

I suggest that gov leads this process and he needs 2 other people to help that he can delegate tasks to. Sound reasonable?

I also think that someone needs to collect a list of participants that want to help out and we start putting together a war-chest. I think that an auction would be a way to raise money because we could auction off charter trips and raise money for this cause by taking people fishing, and that would cost a little bit less than just cash out of pocket. Thoughts?

Someone needs to talk to the SFI and BCWF and find out where they are at and how we can get plugged into what they are doing.

Volunteers?

Let's get going...everyday we are out of the water just costs our communities more $$.

-Millsy

quote:Someone needs to talk to the SFI and BCWF and find out where they are at and how we can get plugged into what they are doing.

The BCWF and SFI are big players in the SFAB.... they ARE talking. If you need more info, why not join?

Intruder2-2.jpg

20ft Alumaweld Intruder

So how about I'l do some digging and then provide some info and you guys can decide where we should all go through, and then we'll get onboard and lend our support, funding, etc... to the appropriate organization.

How many people do we have from this site who would support this cause? I'm going to start a new thread and see.

My 2 cents ...

As I see this there are two issues facing us regarding the "Halibut closed until further notice" topic:

1. The now broken 12/88 allocation framework of former DFO Minister Thibault that got us here in this frightful mess today. It needs fixing badly,

2. The breaking of the commitment in that allocation framework document (press release) that suggested no in-season closures, which has lead to disproportionate harm to us down here. And importantly lost opportunity to anglers and those who provide services to anglers during south Vancouver Island's important off-peak season halibut fishery.

In my opinion, you all need to be paying members of groups and associations that stand up for your fishing opportunities and wild fish sustainability interests, whether you are an angler or provide a service to anglers. As I said earlier, we are all naive and misguided if we think we will be saved harmless by doing nothing. A few coins from your pocket each year give these great advocacy groups the bare bones where-with-alls to protect our sector.

While SFI and the BCWF are the two main groups that speak for angling, the BCFDF, BCFFF, BCMTA, BCMCGOA and all the local angling clubs lobby and work diligently for you on fisheries issues? Do they help? Your darn tooting right they do! There are all out there as we speak going to bat for us. If you claim to be a concerned angler and haven't joined on with at least one of the above yet, you should be ashamed.

On south Vancouver Island the issue becomes more a localized major inconvenience and a big lost opportunity that has led directly to subsequent reduction in the broad ranging business income of the public fishery. The disproportionate suffering of the negative in-season management decisions (now over two seasons) MUST be braodcast widely. We need to make government hear the pain of the local folks affected by the injustice. We need the world to feel our anger (they sadly don't all read SFBC to learn what you think).

Now you hairs on fire, what to do?

My suggestion is join one of the above groups, if you aren't a member already, to pay your basic dues to the sector and your bigger picture fishing interests. Do your own research as to which is right for you, not what someone else might tells you. And become involved if you have interest in doing more.

And if you are one of those who have been taken off the water on south Vancouver Island (there are many) by the halibut management debacle or have been financially challenged by this early closure and late opening of halibut, step up to the plate to do more.

The Feb 3rd meeting in Victoria invites all anglers to attend and equally welcomes all angling groups to come out too; both those representing resident anglers and those representing industry. We need to stay tight together and speak with one message. This will be the venue to choose what the message will be, who will do our bidding and how the message is to be broadcast.

So folks keep that fire in your belly burnin' and don't loose sight of the target!

March 1st on the water or the gloves come off!

Governor

God never did make a more calm, quiet, innocent recreation than angling - Izaak Walton

A friend emailed me a note today that went a little like this; Mason

Several people have asked for the email address for the Minister of
Fisheries so they can add their comments to the halibut allocation debate. You could also thank her for her support of SEP, which apparently was included in today's budget.

Email address is:
Min@dfo-mpo.gc.ca

Her mailing address is: Honorable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and
Oceans, House of Commons, Ottawa, ON. K1A 0E6

Every note helps. Does not have to be long.

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Back