Halibut Closed Until Further Notice

Tailspin

I won't remark to much, as i am frothing at the mouth, however in short we will be lucky to have any sort of Spring Hali fishery this season. There are [red]"Closed until further notice" notices on there way out for our viewing pleasure. The Fraser river salmon issue is another coming down the pipe hard and fast in our face.

quote:DFO will not even be consulting the SFAB until Friday 30th January only two days before the rec halibut season is/was due to open!

Unacceptable, period[xx(]

www.tailspincharters.com

I just got the same letter Justin MAN O MAN I knew it was coming we are going to get it real bad this year!!!
Like I have been saying all along better find a new hobby.
"I remember the time I got a halibut""and we use to catch them in april and may"its long gone now boys!!!!!cant say we didnt fight for it.

A sad day indeed
Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Bad news, yet somehow expected...:(
I wrote the minister of fisheries on monday and indicated how
dissatisfied we are with DFO and their "in season" closures.
Suggest anyone who is hoping for a Halibut or Salmon season this year
write the minister and protest the situation.

I encourage all of us to keep sustained and growing pressure on the politicians and DFO to stop @#$%ing up OUR fisheries. I work for govt and I know it is the only thing that will change them.

Long live wild salmon!!!
lowrance.jpg

nothing new a bit further south. the bad news is simply creeping north on our coasts. so long as those in charge are doing their best to prop up the commercial fishing industries, the sports will be taking it in the shorts. we seem to have a clear lack of in charge folks who pay attention to the science involved and establish quotas based on data as opposed to political pressure. result, overfished, extinct, goodbye opportunities for the sports.

The real shame is the government continues to allow certain user groups complete control of a public resource.
I could go on and on about the issue but that will only get me in arguements on the board.
I am however printing my own Canadian/Law Abiding/Tax Paying/ Status Cards...anybody else need one[:0]

www.coastwidesportsfishing.com

The notice is not out yet! On it's way according to SFBC and the e-mail that those who attended the meeting recieved. Numerous guys are hot under the collar on this one, I guess all one can do is hope and dream for an opening in May to fish the 6 days of decent tides before the doggies move in for June[xx(]

www.tailspincharters.com

That is pretty grim news. Not surprised really. Halibut is one of the few succesful wild fisheries still left and most halibut fishermen (that own the quota) are millionaires. They are not about to give up their allocation easily. That is so depressing I am actually debating not launching the boat this year. I feel for you charter guys, that is a bitter pill to swallow.

quote:Originally posted by wolf

I just got the same letter Justin MAN O MAN I knew it was coming we are going to get it real bad this year!!!
"I remember the time I got a halibut""and we use to catch them in april and may"its long gone now boys!!!!!cant say we didnt fight for it.

A sad day indeed
Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Damn Wolf,, I was really lookin forward to the trip this spring.. So much for that christmas gift from the old lady. I will keep my fingers crossed maybe it will change.. Keep in touch..

IMG_1021-1.jpg

Morning Wolf , This may be a ignorant idea , What if we all started a actual signed Petition by all , this forum , Marinas Docks , Camps etc.. We Could get 8 - 10 Guy's from this forum , keep 2 or 3 copies of the protest in our boats , trucks , wherever , START NOW !! Have each Fisherman Print, Sign there name , and acknowledge that they pocess a Saltwater License Perhaps ! !!Say in 3 months, round them all up , get them back to a knowledgeable person on this issue( Yourself perhaps )I could help if needed, to email letters out to whom ever requests ! !For the members of this and other forums , they could have it mailed to them , " I'll Donate a couple $$ Hun towards stamps !!, hope the signees , would be nice enough to mail them back !! , We would need someone to volunteer and create a written legitimate Protest ,This could spread like wild Fire !Somthing along those lines !! ??Who's in !! What do we "thinks" [:eek:)]( RS ). FD[;)Just an Idea !!;)]
quote:Originally posted by wolf

A sad day indeed
Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

IMG_1356-1-1-1.jpg

Besides all of the obvious issues what really pisses me off and I concider completely ignorant by the DFO is that the meeting over this issue is and always was planned for Jan 30. That means that there was never a chance for a February opening. Why the delay in making the announcement? Still no official notice? Just word from an e-mail response to Chris Boss that he had to contact them to get?

Good job by Chris in being persistant and contacting DFO requesting an answer.

Tips

Young sooke charter guide here...this is totally unfair as we all know...this is already going to hurt my new business and make it hard for me to keep payin my boat off...i feel bad for the local fishing stores and marinas...this fishery does bring in lots of money to the local economy...not the longliners...richer keep gettin richer..the poorer keep gettin shafted...we need to shake the heads of our stupid government ...are they so wacked...why do they want to help a few dozen rich guys when they could be helpin out a few thousand rec and still havin most likely less halibut caught...something is seriously wrong. They should be encouraging people these days...if you want salmon/halibut....go book a charter and get it yourself...forget thriftys and save on..theres enough beef and pork to go around. let fisherman fish...keeps me out of trouble at 22.. Petition is a great idea. Is that Gordon Campbell open forum thing still around?

Back