HALIBUT!!!!!!BUT NOT FOR THE WEST COATS WTF

wolf

http://www.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/media/npress-communique/2009/g02-eng.htm

NOTICE IT SAYS "LAND BASED FISH FARMING" HHHHHHMMMMM WONDER WHY???

AND WITH ALL THE TROUBLES APPERENTLY HERE ON THE WESTCOAST BUT STILL NOTHING DONE AGAIN OUR FISHERY IS POLITICAL NOT CONSERVATION. AS IF IT WAS FOR CONSERVATION THEY WOULD HAVE DONE A JOINT VENTURE FOR THE EAST COAST AS WELL AS THE WEST COAST.
DAMN THIS GOVERNMENT IS F*#@%$!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!JUST MORE BULL$H!T

Government of Canada and P.E.I Announce Funding for Halibut Project Under the Aquaculture Innovation and Market Access Program (AIMAP)
February 6, 2009

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Victoria (P.E.I.) – The Honourable Gail Shea, Minister of Fisheries and Oceans (DFO), joined by Neil LeClair, P.E.I. Minister of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development, today announced $160,000 in funding under DFO’s Aquaculture Innovation and Market Access Program (AIMAP) for the Halibut P.E.I. project. Halibut P.E.I. will carry out a feasibility project in Prince Edward Island, over eight months to determine the advantages of establishing land-based halibut aquaculture grow-out operations using existing facilities and salt water wells.

“The Government of Canada is committed to enhancing the global competitiveness, productivity and environmental performance of Canada’s aquaculture industry through AIMAP, which will provide $23.5 million to Canada’s aquaculture industry over the next five years,” said Minister Shea. “By investing in projects such as the Halibut P.E.I. project, our government is supporting a vibrant producer sector that contributes to the economies of rural, coastal and First Nations communities.”

“Our department is very pleased to be able to partner with Fisheries and Oceans Canada and J. Dunphy Inc. in funding for a project to study the potential of land-based halibut aquaculture culture in Prince Edward Island”, said Neil LeClair, P.E.I. Minister of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development. “It is important that we investigate the potential for diversification of the province’s aquaculture industry, and this project is an important first step in exploring this potential.”

The Halibut PEI project will be carried out at the Morning Star Fisheries plant in Victoria, P.E.I. The project location is being made available through a contribution by Ocean Choice International, the owners of the facility. The halibut fingerlings (young, small fish) are being provided by Scotian Halibut and taken from their commercial halibut hatchery in Clark’s Harbour in Nova Scotia. Faculty from the University of Prince Edward Island Atlantic Veterinary College have been involved in the development of the project and will continue to be closely involved.

“We are optimistic that this eight-month feasibility project will show that commercial land-based aquaculture halibut grow-out operations can be established in several locations around P.E.I. that have access to salt water wells,” said Jim Dunphy, President of J. Dunphy Inc., the project proponent. “We are committed to sharing the results of our project with other investors who may be interested in establishing halibut grow-out operations in their facilities. This could create a new aquaculture industry in P.E.I. as well as creating full time jobs in plants where employment has been seasonal up to this time.”

The total cost of the Halibut P.E.I. project is $327,300. In addition to the $160,000 being provided by DFO under AIMAP, the Provincial Department of Fisheries, Aquaculture and Rural Development is contributing a sum of $40,600 to the project and the $126,700 balance is being provided by J. Dunphy Inc., Scotian Halibut, Ocean Choice International and the Atlantic Veterinary College.

The Government of Canada is committed to enhancing the global competitiveness and environmental performance of Canada’s aquaculture industry.
-30-

FOR MORE INFORMATION

Stephen Lanteigne
Director, Aquaculture Management
Fisheries and Oceans Canada
Moncton, N.B.
(506) 851-3407
Robert (Bob) Johnston
Halibut P.E.I. Project
Charlottetown, P.E.I.
902-367-4896

WONDER WHERE THE PLANT IS????ANYBODY KNOW?????

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I think it is a great idea, however DFO could save themselves a lot of money by studying the data accumulated over the years from the Nanaimo Biological centre, as they did for many, many years had housed and studied halibut on dry land in huge saltwater tanks. Or perhaps, maybe part of the reason for this newer study on the East coast of Canada is an extension of the Nanaimo studies and data. They do mention where, when and how in the article and they also speak of an existing and operational halibut hatchery in Nova Scotia, of which I found very encouraging, as that would tend to point toward some form of proven success. This may also show that DFO does have future wild fish stocks in mind and may mean that they may be on the verge of changing the commercial fishery by transitioning it into aquaculture rather than open range sea harvest. Hhhmmm, food for thought! Mason

[www.savebcsalmon.ca]

Back