Halibut anchoring question

Discussion in 'Saltwater Fishing Forum' started by spring fever, Sep 25, 2015.

1. spring fever

spring fever Well-Known Member

I agree with you-hence the question-when I drew it all out to scale-looked how far you could be from a bait bag and also may even be well above any scent trail if the current was light and in opposition to the wind and swell-I just couldn't see how it would work" all the time". In fact it could quite have the opposite effect in certain circumstances. I like Derbys suggestion about the downrigger-then again I may just go back to salmon fishing!! LOL

2. sammyslabber

sammyslabber Active Member

WHAT!!! only one friend...yes it has been awhile...:)

3. Last Chance

Last Chance Admin Staff Member

Coming from the man who did a lot for Halibut population control. I think that's a great point

4. Last Chance

Last Chance Admin Staff Member

I may know someone who stuck a bait bag on a downrigger.. I hear that the hali grabbed it, and must have got it's teeth stuck (It was an onion bag), and broke the belt on the rigger :)

5. gone fishin

gone fishin Member

We have tried Bait Bags and frankly they are not worth the bother!

6. trophywife

trophywife Well-Known Member

i have had my bait bag chewed on a few times.. pretty funny when the rigger gets bouncing, they get no meal then the rod goes off!!

7. spring fever

4 years ago Off Cape Scott was the only time I have ever used a bait bag-put down an onion bag or similar material crammed with guts 'eggs and frames on the rigger. We were drifting in 240 ft of water-started to get some nice hali's to 50 lbs. Thought this was the way to go-all of a sudden the rigger started bouncing HARD!! Thinking it might be on bottom I brought it up 20 ft-read the counter and it was a good 30 ft off the bottom. I was using cable at the time. The rigger is going nuts-I tried bringing it up a little more and while it would come -it was very slow-I was so nervous I put a rope on the rigger thinking it may pull out. Got it up another 20 ft-realized the boat was being towed- Every time we got the rigger moving up-shaking got more violent. While I'll admit it was exciting!! I wasn't sure how it was going to end-finally the cable broke. That is the last time I ever used a bait bag!!! Building Derbys PVC bait holder now-memories have faded and figure it can't happen twice. Watch this space!!LOL

8. the fog ducker

the fog ducker Well-Known Member

bait bag on the rigger all the way , id think that pipe would not juice enough ,
    sure looks nice though , just pick up a mesh bag for crabbing,comes with a built in
    draw string slider gadget lock as well ,fill with cut up scraps
    , i do this at home and freeze it
    place in bag frozen ...
    soak it with x10 or butt juice send er down ,
    believe pnt sells them , definately at army and navy
    just make sure ur bait is cut slightly larger than the mesh holes is important !!!
    my last outting , i had 2 hali follow the bag up after we whacked our 2 fish in short order
    as Blair said , they will bounce the rigger at times ,gets the blood flowin .... but always let go...

m2b

fd

9. Rockfish

Rockfish Well-Known Member

Has anyone tried the small plastic scent chambers attached (zap straps?) to the spreader bar? I have a couple of them but have not tried them yet. They are thin walled plastic tubes (like a pill bottle) with small holes in them and an end cap. Inside is either open cell foam or polyester like batting, basically water resistant cotton balls. You fill them up with herring oil and the small holes and holding material time the release of the herring oil scent. The advantage I can see for these is that they will send a scent trail out from the immediate area of the hook but on the down side could also add a little bit of drag in a stronger current helping to push your gear off the bottom. They are not that large though, so perhaps the float and drag factor are not significant concerns.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 27, 2015
  10. fogged in

fogged in Well-Known Member

yep...used them...when we bothered with them, we put a cotton swab in to absorb some of the scent cause if you put just the scent liquid in it is gone pretty quickly. Can't say we felt it improved our production...to us it's all about when the bite comes on.

11. spring fever

If you want to use the oil scent chambers then get the bilge or garage floor cloth which only soaks up oil not water. Then your scent sticks and stays-good also in bait bags when you put in butt juice or whatever-crush salmon roe is good too!!

12. searun

searun Well-Known Member

I use same system as Felix posted. Simple and it works. You can make your own real cheap by using some fine mesh net they use for salmon farming net pens. Hang it off the rigger and in 30 minutes you have a nice sent trail and fish snooping around

13. sammyslabber

sammyslabber Active Member

[​IMG]